Gerard Gallant - Fighter or "Huggie Bear"?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Every YouTube vid I have found so far he went immediately for the full behind the neck semi-headlock where neither guy really had room to throw an effective punch? I'm not imagining he never had a real duke-out in 220 credited career fights, but was the clutch and hold on his usual tactic? There seems to be a trend from what I have seen?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I absolutely hated that technique. Guys who did that were always afraid to get hit... Brashear did it quite a bit, Stortini, etc.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I honestly didn't notice until it was brought to my attention.

That said - I think it was a form of 'self-preservation' when he took on bigger guys...That said I do recall him beating up Chelios (a guy his own size), and he didn't grab the other guy close in.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Gallant played in an era where steroids and drug use were off the charts. If you've never had the pleasure of tangling with a guy on either of them, it's about the same as riding a bull. Strap in and hope for the best. Even if he was a clinger, he had a job to do, and he figured out a way to do it.

Reactions: Fixxer and leetch99

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
when he played for summerside as a teenager, he would take his helmet off first, then beat the pulp out of the guy, no idea why anyone ever fought him back then

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gallant played in an era where steroids and drug use were off the charts. If you've never had the pleasure of tangling with a guy on either of them, it's about the same as riding a bull. Strap in and hope for the best. Even if he was a clinger, he had a job to do, and he figured out a way to do it.
As if steroids aren't used in the NHL and as if theyre not even more potent.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
As if steroids aren't used in the NHL and as if theyre not even more potent.
What are you even saying? In the 80s and 90s there were giant players using things you could buy over the counter that are banned today. Are you trying to say that today's game, where the players have gotten smaller, faster, more skilled and rarely fight is somehow more difficult for a guy like Gallant to fight, because that's what the topic of conversation was, IIRC.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What are you even saying? In the 80s and 90s there were giant players using things you could buy over the counter that are banned today. Are you trying to say that today's game, where the players have gotten smaller, faster, more skilled and rarely fight is somehow more difficult for a guy like Gallant to fight, because that's what the topic of conversation was, IIRC.
The topic was "Players where on steroids and cocaine"

I hinted that players are still on steroids and cocaine, and more potent steroids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad