Speculation: Georgiev's Future

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
What does Georgiev's future look like? He seems to really be struggling recently. I know the Rangers D is not great, but Georgiev has given up 4 goals or more in 4 of the last 5 games he has started. Is he just a stop gap for another season until Shesty is ready or does he have a future with the Rangers?

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
Actually, of the 10 games he has started this year, he has given up 4 goals or more in 6 of the 10. He seemed better last year.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
What does Georgiev's future look like? He seems to really be struggling recently. I know the Rangers D is not great, but Georgiev has given up 4 goals or more in 4 of the last 5

stopped reading here. Ugh.

Avs would have put in 10 on most any nhl backup last night. Georgiev was excellent for the majority of the night. It wasn’t an NHL game, it was a PP firing squad. Any novice would see that.

Georgiev has an nhl present and future and I hope (and believe) it will be with us.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t know what you want from the kid did you watch the game last night? Most of his starts have been like that the past 2 years. I can count on one hand how many games he’s been less than average since he’s been here

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
He should not be the back up on this team. He’s too young and should be getting the bulk of starts in Hartford. The team is a mess in front of him so not sure how that’s a development plan for a 22 yo, sending him out there when they know he has little chance of getting a win. How is he supposed to get his confidence back after a game like that? On top of that they seem to want to protect him a bit and start him against “lower” competition, but with this team so bad it’s been hard to get him in games and instead overplaying Hank. Send him down to Hartford and bring up Tokasrki. Fix the d, or at least play your best D and play a tighterD game before you get him in more games.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
GZY3Nmn.jpg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't think he's moved this TDL. He will either be moved at draft day as part of a package to move up which is a direct result of the TDL, or they move him this summer after bonuses are paid out as part of a package to Colo/Carolina/Columbus/etc.

I'd really prefer the tandem to be him/Igor starting next year with either Lundqvist moving or retiring, but there is no way that will happen.

Package ideas: Georgiev/TBL 31 OA if they win the Cup to move up or Georgiev+1st rounder back from Hayes to move up.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He should be our long-term backup, assuming Iggy makes it overseas next year. Otherwise, he could be a very decent starter; goalies sometimes take a while to develop, and he’s still quite young (with a heck of a goalie coach to mentor him).

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
He’ll be traded sometime after the season (or later), but if the organization wants a decent return he’ll have to play more and play better (statistically)

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seemed like Sam was really talking him up last night. Found that weird. He was getting shelled. Granted, team gave up in front of him.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Georgiev has been really good Imho. If you're just looking at stats that's completely ignoring the poop show in front of him.

I honestly feel that if we had let’s say, a good D, Hank may be having a career year right now and I truly believe that given his play. So, Georgy should get a pass during a season like this. I thought he looked good against Colorado, we played like straight dogs*** collectively as a team in front of the kid.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think he's been good this year.

Regardless of the team in front of you, you can't give up 4+ goals in the majority of your starts.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I don't think he's been good this year.

Regardless of the team in front of you, you can't give up 4+ goals in the majority of your starts.

I don't really agree with this. I mean, I guess you can argue this point for an elite goaltender, but a guy who's a rookie and just learning the ropes...I don't know.

If the Rangers had a realistic NHL defense group, I might also agree with this, but they basically have a #4/5 in Skjei and then a bunch of #5/6/7's. It's got to be the worst grouping in the league.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't really agree with this. I mean, I guess you can argue this point for an elite goaltender, but a guy who's a rookie and just learning the ropes...I don't know.

If the Rangers had a realistic NHL defense group, I might also agree with this, but they basically have a #4/5 in Skjei and then a bunch of #5/6/7's. It's got to be the worst grouping in the league.

I mean, yeah, it's the worst defense in the league.

But Georgiev is putting up 80's numbers.

Reactions: Ori

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Was watching AVS feed and they where full of praise of Georgiev, so not just Sam talking him up.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Georgiev has played really well. I know everyone is waiting for Shestyerkin but he may be behind Georgiev when all is said and done. Shestyerkin has great numbers in the KHL, but guess who else does...Nigel Dawes, the players shooting on him are AHL level compared to Georgiev.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I mean, yeah, it's the worst defense in the league.

But Georgiev is putting up 80's numbers.

I don't disagree with the numbers. I guess I just find it hard to judge when this team is icing a beer league defense.

Honestly, I would prefer we bring Tokarski up for the rest of the year and let Georgie be the full-time starter in the AHL.

I know there's the whole Benoit mystique, but he's just not playing enough IMO. I'm not a professional, but for his development I'd rather him be playing everyday and would like to see his numbers down there (or with a real NHL defense) before I come to some conclusion.

Reactions: Machinehead

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What does Georgiev's future look like? He seems to really be struggling recently. I know the Rangers D is not great, but Georgiev has given up 4 goals or more in 4 of the last 5 games he has started. Is he just a stop gap for another season until Shesty is ready or does he have a future with the Rangers?

His future with the Rangers is as a doorman for Shesty

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Georgiev has played really well. I know everyone is waiting for Shestyerkin but he may be behind Georgiev when all is said and done. Shestyerkin has great numbers in the KHL, but guess who else does...Nigel Dawes, the players shooting on him are AHL level compared to Georgiev.
This post is wrong in so many ways
Georgiev was never really “that good” I’ve always said he’d decline and that’s exactly what he did
Georgiev really hasn’t played well and he got a bit lucky last season, Shestyorkin is better than him right now (by a significant margin)
KHL has some really good shooters as well, just because they play in the KHL doesn’t mean they’re worse than NHLers. A lot of them just couldn’t translate their game and thrive on more open ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad