Georgia national teams

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Hi...does anyone know why the Georgia national team was relegated to Division IIB even though they finished second in Division IIA?
Do you have a link for this? Without knowing whether this is actually true, my guess is they broke IIHF eligibility rules because their roster was full of random Russians.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I've always wondered how the incentives line up in these cases. Like, Georgian hockey can't really be paying these guys that much, right? And it's not like the Russian players have any inherent desire to represent another country.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And it's not like the Russian players have any inherent desire to represent another country.
Many Russians move to Georgia for obvious reasons. They continue to play hockey, much better than the locals. They are asked to play for Georgian NT, so, why not? It's fun: you travel to another country for the WC, get to spend time in at least a semi-competitive environment, etc. It's like a vacation that is paid for. I don't think they get anything at all in terms of money.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Glancing at EP if the gaps present in their careers were spent playing in Georgia the only ones who might have not been able to represent Georgia is the Lyalins (neither played a game).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've always wondered how the incentives line up in these cases. Like, Georgian hockey can't really be paying these guys that much, right? And it's not like the Russian players have any inherent desire to represent another country.
Plenty of athletes change nations so they are able to compete at the world level.

Freestyle wrestling in Russia is a great example. They are a world superpower who, in most any year, could send a number of people to worlds who could win or at least medal. They are so deep many guys are capable of podium finishes but can’t even compete on the world stage as they are caught behind the #1 in their country.

There was one year I remember the 74kg weight class had 7 Russians in it. 1 representing Russia and 6 competing for other nations.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Plenty of athletes change nations so they are able to compete at the world level.

Freestyle wrestling in Russia is a great example. They are a world superpower who, in most any year, could send a number of people to worlds who could win or at least medal. They are so deep many guys are capable of podium finishes but can’t even compete on the world stage as they are caught behind the #1 in their country.

There was one year I remember the 74kg weight class had 7 Russians in it. 1 representing Russia and 6 competing for other nations.
Well I get that, but playing D2A hockey isn't exactly the "world stage".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad