George Washington University changes nickname

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Makes sense anyway to me. "Colonial America" really feels like it ended with the French and Indian War. Washington played a notable role in instigating that conflict, but he's far more associated with the revolutionary era and the early federalist era.

I would've suggested "Continentals" instead, though.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I'm all in favor of students voting to change school nicknames.

I just think they're picking the wrong ones to change.

How about one of the 78 teams named Tigers or Bulldogs saying "This is dumb, let's get something unique and cool"

Reactions: zeeto

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Makes sense anyway to me. "Colonial America" really feels like it ended with the French and Indian War. Washington played a notable role in instigating that conflict, but he's far more associated with the revolutionary era and the early federalist era.

Really?

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
"Colonials" were the Colonial militia, actual title, that Washington was a Colonel of during the French + Indian War that is probably called something else now due to political correctness and its mission to destroy the English language as we know it.
Collateral damage from the woke mob that wants to indiscriminately erase all history if a white male was involved doing something.
Would have been better off changing to "Colons" as the mascot. Certainly more accurate.
Sad that a formerly good school like GWU doesnt have a single individual in the history department who could explain to the mob what the "Colonials" were and what they did for America at that time in our history. Really, take personal initiative, just read The Last of the Mohicans in sixth grade like everyone else and you have all the information you need to know what a Colonial was.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
"Colonials" were the Colonial militia, actual title, that Washington was a Colonel of during the French + Indian War that is probably called something else now due to political correctness and its mission to destroy the English language as we know it.
Collateral damage from the woke mob that wants to indiscriminately erase all history if a white male was involved doing something.
Would have been better off changing to "Colons" as the mascot. Certainly more accurate.
Sad that a formerly good school like GWU doesnt have a single individual in the history department who could explain to the mob what the "Colonials" were and what they did for America at that time in our history.
LMAO @ Colons.

Well said on everything else.

Reactions: Seattle King

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Who cares, lol. Students wanted it changed so they changed it.

Is the name important or significant enough to you personally? Or do you just want to be riled up about something that materially affects you personally not at all?

Colonialism has (rightfully) been getting a bad rap lately. Totally reasonable to want to dissociate from it some.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Complaining about a woke mob is totally a good faith argument. They had a vote and made a change to something more time appropriate for Washington anyway, big whoop.

And c'mon, how many of you remotely cared about George Washington University sports prior to this topic? Nonsensical thing to spend more than five seconds on if your complaint is anything more substantial than a "that's odd."

Reactions: oknazevad

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Complaining about a woke mob is totally a good faith argument. They had a vote and made a change to something more time appropriate for Washington anyway, big whoop.

And c'mon, how many of you remotely cared about George Washington University sports prior to this topic? Nonsensical thing to spend more than five seconds on if your complaint is anything more substantial than a "that's odd."

I'm an A-10 guy, so I did. Which is how I know that Revolutionaries was one of TEN options they put on the table and ALL of them were really terrible.

They had a game where they let each fan pick their favorite by taking a pennant with the name. So all the fans were holding pennants and they counted which name got picked the most.

Revolutionaries didn't win that, but they wanted the data.

Most people thought the best name of the 10 was "Blue Fog". Which is really bad. How you gonna make a logo out of that?

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

Is the name important or significant enough to you personally? Or do you just want to be riled up about something that materially affects you personally not at all?

Colonialism has (rightfully) been getting a bad rap lately. Totally reasonable to want to dissociate from it some.
Only European colonialism. Any other group, like Japan’s and arabs , are not suprisenly absent from the colonialism conversation

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm an A-10 guy, so I did. Which is how I know that Revolutionaries was one of TEN options they put on the table and ALL of them were really terrible.

They had a game where they let each fan pick their favorite by taking a pennant with the name. So all the fans were holding pennants and they counted which name got picked the most.

Revolutionaries didn't win that, but they wanted the data.

Most people thought the best name of the 10 was "Blue Fog". Which is really bad. How you gonna make a logo out of that?

Ditto, I don't root for them but I know the basketball program well as an A-10 fan (URI).

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It gets scary when, to use a Don Cherryism, "these people" are going to be, and already are, influencing society as a whole with their incredibly misguided passion for seeing everything though their own modern, narcissitic, and uneducated lenses.

Next up, McDonald's changing the name of the Big Mac to the "Brave Mac".

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I went to GW for grad school, roughly concurrent with our most recent NCAA tournament win in case anyone cares how old I am (God, does that make me feel old.) Happy to know that the students actually care enough to say "we don't want this to represent us anymore." Is this a good name? Eh. Was the old name a good name? Eh. The only thing "Colonials" had going for it was inertia. In a decade or two, "Revolutionaries" will have inertia, and if they want to change again, all the people bitching about this name change will be bitching about that one.

Team names aren't sacred relics handed down from a perfect, divine creator on high. They're labels for what we truly care about, which is the sense of community and competition. If the old name no longer suits the people who rally to that banner, then dump it in the trash and find one that does.

Reactions: oknazevad and zeeto

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think Revolutionaries is actually a pretty cool name.

The amount of people so upset about something that has zero impact on their life is pretty funny, though.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Why not change the name of the university? GW was a slave owner.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The old name was stupid and the new name is stupid, although I understand being GWU they were going to try to stay within the theme. I’m just glad my alma mater has a totally inoffensive mascot, at least until PETA gets really, really bored.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Fun fact, George Washington High School in Indianapolis go by the Continentals. I know that because I was rivals with the school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad