Signing(s): George Springer signs with the Blue Jays (6 years, $150 million)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Good for the Jays to make a splash. Rogers is a filthy rich company, they can afford it even in a pandemic.

Jays lineup becomes even more RH heavy.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Knew it was coming but I'm going to miss him. Was one of my favorite Astro. Sucks the last couple of years they lost Keuchel, Cole, Springer, possibly Brantley this year and potentially Correa next year
frown.gif

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The one part of the Astros core that wasn't an insufferable douchebag. We take those.

Also for the second year in a row the Jays landed a big name Free Agent. That's...different.

Reactions: Cold Cat and Voight

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Finally the Jays make the big splash that they've been teasing us about!!! He's done some terrible things in the past with the trash can banging and stuff, but talent wise Springer is a gamer and he'll be of massive help to this young team in many different ways.

$25 mil/year is a lot of money but that was what was needed to beat out the Mets. The only con is that he's 31 and the contract lasts 6 years; would've been a perfect deal if he was only 2-3 years younger. Even though he should be in his prime for another 3-4 years, the later years of his contract when he's 36/37, it has the potential to become one of those unmovable contracts - hopefully his decline is very slow after he turns 35.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Wow Shatkins actually got a big fish and Mr Ed Rogers opened up his wallet. Well done.
Rogers is one of my most despised companies here in Canada but I gotta give them props on this one. Outbidding someone like Steve Cohen for a player Springer's caliber is no easy task

Reactions: Cold Cat

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The interesting thing here is they actually outbid somebody.

The Mets came with in with that offer that clocked in at around 125 million and the Jays were like "oh? lol watch this." That's almost unheard of for Rogers since they've owned the team.

If they've decided to open up the checkbooks the rest of Baseball should take notice. Because with how ****huge Rogers is they can easily match the big boy teams in spending if they really, truly wanted to. There would still be the issue of convincing guys to play in Canada but i'm sure money could fix that too.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The interesting thing here is they actually outbid somebody.

The Mets came with in with that offer that clocked in at around 125 million and the Jays were like "oh? lol watch this." That's almost unheard of for Rogers since they've owned the team.

If they've decided to open up the checkbooks the rest of Baseball should take notice. Because with how ****huge Rogers is they can easily match the big boy teams in spending if they really, truly wanted to. There would still be the issue of convincing guys to play in Canada but i'm sure money could fix that too.

Also the Mets have had a bad 24 hours firing their new GM due to explicit pictures.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Huge addition and Springer is the perfect player at the perfect time for this team. I always thought Springer was the most likely of the big name free agents/trade targets to end up on the Blue Jays and now here we are. I expect his bat to age relatively well and he can slide into a corner spot when needed and hopefully by then Martin can slot in as the center fielder of the future.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The one Astro I actually liked. Easy guy to like. Had a speech impediment when he was younger that he has overcame.
Good guy Springer is a good guy. He's never going to beat Trout in an MVP race but Springer is an elite player and I'll take that every day.

Reactions: Cold Cat

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
No-one can foretell the future, but Springer was the free agent who warranted a major investment the most. Position-wise it makes perfect sense for Toronto, who will now have enough time to develop or sign their CF of the future.

If the Mets rumors are true, they have made a mistake. You have to draw a line somewhere, but bowing out on Springer below $ 25m AAV seems like saving at the wrong spot to me.

Gruß,
BSHH

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Wow. I’m stunned. Springer is exactly who we need on this team and I don’t hate that contract at all. 6/150 is a lot obviously but not outrageous.

Would still love another quality rotation arm and maybe some more bullpen help but like the direction of this team.

Have no idea how the line up and positions will work out but here’s my shot at it.

1 - Springer CF
2 - Bo SS
3 - Gurriel LF
4 - Vladdy 1B
5 - Teoscar OF
6 - Grichuk RF
7 - Rowdy DH
8 - Jansen C
9 - Biggio 2B/3B

We have too many outfielders and need another infielder. Bo is probably better suited at 2B so finding a rock solid SS in the field would be ideal. Biggio can play anywhere and I put him in the 9 hole in the lineup to be a 2nd lead off man since he’s an OBP machine.

A couple of tweaks but there’s a lot to like about that lineup. Marine if Vladdy can play close to his potential

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Springer is a gamer but that's a lot for OF on the wrong side of the 30s. Jays overpaid not outbid Mets at all. Still good for them though.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
No-one can foretell the future, but Springer was the free agent who warranted a major investment the most. Position-wise it makes perfect sense for Toronto, who will now have enough time to develop or sign their CF of the future.

If the Mets rumors are true, they have made a mistake. You have to draw a line somewhere, but bowing out on Springer below $ 25m AAV seems like saving at the wrong spot to me.

Gruß,
BSHH

The Mets were basically done with Springer once they traded for Lindor. Had Toronto gotten Realmuto it’s likely Springer would have settled for the Mets at something like 5/100-110 but the Mets were never going that high with Lindor Conforto Syndergaard all needing to be signed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad