George Burnett grinds the skill out of players

Lyons89

Aug 21, 2012
Let me explain, I don't mean this in a good way. I've been following his teams for years and I've always thought he turns skill players into grinders to fit his system. There have been countless examples of top picks who turned out to be nothing more than just grinders or they didn't have the careers they would have in other OHL markets where they would have been allowed to show their skill. ( heffernan, cramarossa, petti, Saigeon, gaunce, Curtis, Lemmon, carnavaile(spelling?) now I know not all of these guys were drafted purely based on skill but I do know a lot of them were. I just think Burnett turns these guys into grinders to fit his system and ruins these players. An example is I feel gaunce would have had a lot more chances for success if he went to another organization. I feel like petti cramarossa and Saigeon would be more offensively minded if they wernt being held back and forced to play in this defensive tight checking system like they are. He is what, first in games played by an active coach?? I think he should have been able to produce at least 4 or 5 offensive dynamos based on the amount of games he has coached in this league

brahmabull

May 30, 2011
Couldn't agree more and I believe his boring grinding style is a large reason we no longer have a team in Belleville. Attendance was at a steady decline in the last 5 years the team was here under his leadership.

As far as facts go to support your theory his last 4 years of first and second round picks have yielded a total of 255 points for 826 games played that's eight different skaters. While Mitch Marner and Dylan Strome have almost that many apiece. Marner has 246 in 154 games and Strome has 229 in 156 games.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I think if Burnett doesn't produce a semi-final playoff team next year, Andlauer may opt to can him. This year is a wash, the team just moved, took times getting re-setup, some rope should be given.

However, Andlauer and Staios want the Bulldogs to draw and become a consistent winner. After three years of missing the playoffs or getting swept in the quarter finals, one must ask if it happens a fourth time what the common thread here is, and the only one I see is Burnett.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Preferrably, I'd can Burnett as soon as this season is over. If this past weekend was any indication, the team is in serious trouble.. even with extended playing time, the young players are struggling to score, and have had serious defensive lapses (see the 3rd period vs. Kitchener and the 2nd period vs. the Petes this weekend.)

It's known by Belleville fans that Burnett is a terrible developer of talent. If Andlauer wants this team to succeed in Hamilton, canning Burnett would be a good start and hiring a competent coach (or promoting Troy Smith).

I mean, I bet Matt Strome would develop better under a better coach than Burnett.. considering the bloodlines, he should be much better than this.. but Burnett is doing a terrible job developing him.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Preferrably, I'd can Burnett as soon as this season is over. If this past weekend was any indication, the team is in serious trouble.. even with extended playing time, the young players are struggling to score, and have had serious defensive lapses (see the 3rd period vs. Kitchener and the 2nd period vs. the Petes this weekend.)

It's known by Belleville fans that Burnett is a terrible developer of talent. If Andlauer wants this team to succeed in Hamilton, canning Burnett would be a good start and hiring a competent coach (or promoting Troy Smith).

I mean, I bet Matt Strome would develop better under a better coach than Burnett.. considering the bloodlines, he should be much better than this.. but Burnett is doing a terrible job developing him.

I have a different outlook from someone who is not attached to the Bulldogs at all.
I think George does a great job drafting and Managing. It might be time to Narrow the focus of his job to Just GM. He is not in a small Market anymore where the Owner can't afford to hire 2 guys to do the 2 jobs.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If Andlauer wants this team to succeed in Hamilton, canning Burnett would be a good start and hiring a competent coach (or promoting Troy Smith).

Coaches usually flame out in their first HC'ing gig and Smith totally flamed out in Kitchener for a lot of the same reason why Burnett is well thought of.
But who knows maybe the second time is a charm for Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00