Rumor: Geno where art thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With all the Geno rumors and news, time for its own thread. Keep the Geno talk here please.

pittsburgh-penguins-evgeni-malkin.gif

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

"Guys it's not sentiment I promise."

Dude's already said he's testing FA. Let him walk. The fanbase (including those cosplaying as reporters/sports journalists) want him to be a Penguin infinitely more than Geno himself wants to be a Penguin. f*** 'em. Ride the mediocrity train into the ground and get on with the continuation of circling the drain.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That Malkin graph proves my point, his projected WAR profile is just directly a function of his finishing ability. What's the point of the offensive and defensive playdriving if a player can yield good WAR percentiles just by being a good finisher?
Being able to score is most important…last I checked whichever team scores the most goals wins

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The DK tweet is weird because it's not an issue of the Penguins "not meeting Malkin's demands". It's an issue of Malkin being mad about the negotiations and him testing UFA. He doesn't want to sign here as of now. What are you going to do, promise to beat out any UFA contracts he'd get and give him a blank check?

Malkin decided to leave. You can argue that Hextall caused it by having a hardline negotiation with him, but Malkin cut off negotiations and Malkin decided to test UFA. Had Malkin continued to negotiate past Monday, he would have been signed because Hextall was cratering to his demands. Hextall caved but Malkin cut off negotiations before a deal could be struck.

Being able to score is most important…last I checked whichever team scores the most goals wins

Okay so why are JFresh's charts worth anything if they just show who's good at scoring goals?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The DK tweet is weird because it's not an issue of the Penguins "not meeting Malkin's demands". It's an issue of Malkin being mad about the negotiations and him testing UFA. He doesn't want to sign here as of now. What are you going to do, promise to beat out any UFA contracts he'd get and give him a blank check?

Malkin decided to leave. You can argue that Hextall caused it by having a hardline negotiation with him, but Malkin cut off negotiations and Malkin decided to test UFA. Had Malkin continued to negotiate past Monday, he would have been signed because Hextall was cratering to his demands.

Okay so why are JFresh's charts worth anything if they just show who's good at scoring goals?
The guy needs to feed whatever hungers the fan base to get them to pay 79 cents a month for his crappy blogs.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Malkin decided to leave. You can argue that Hextall caused it by having a hardline negotiation with him, but Malkin cut off negotiations and Malkin decided to test UFA. Had Malkin continued to negotiate past Monday, he would have been signed because Hextall was cratering to his demands.

No one knows this. Burke said they made an offer they were comfortable with. Every piece of reporting I've seen said Hextall didn't want term for Malkin. I don't think that's changed. I don't think Malkin is immature enough to throw everything away because he's upset. The Pens haven't offered him a contract he can accept. No one knows what that means.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The Steelers would have been better telling Big Ben to go enjoy Indianapolis or whatever in 2018.
Kobe Bryant hurt the Lakers more than he helped at the end.

Jumbo Joe went year-to-year and now is making <$1M.
Ovechkin's Caps will sink as he chases 895. Not that I blame him/them.
The Pirates traded McCutchen just as his dropoff started and he went from great to good to just okay pretty quickly.

Brady and Lidstrom are the exceptions.
Now that I've seen great athletes decline, I want no part the harm they do trying to keep doing what made them successful in their primes. Geno was right on the borderline. TBH before the country of Russia went to sh1t I had expected him to return to Magnitogorsk before his career was over. He's made his legacy here. Looking forward to the jersey retirement. Oh wait, no cause then I'll be old :(

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No one knows this. Burke said they made an offer they were comfortable with. Every piece of reporting I've seen said Hextall didn't want term for Malkin. I don't think that's changed. I don't think Malkin is immature enough to throw everything away because he's upset. The Pens haven't offered him a contract he can accept. No one knows what that means.

Everyone has reported that the Penguins had either offered a 4 year deal or had begun discussing a 4 year deal with Malkin. You've had multiple people suggest that the Penguins were willing to give Malkin a 4 year deal at Letang's AAV.

Hextall was cratering to his demands. Had he not walked away, a deal would have been done. But he got mad at how the negotiation process was going and he walked.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I like Trocheck, but for me he is more of a solid #3 center which we can't afford. Having him replace Geno will just not work and make any sense!!
Except he's been a 2C for Carolina and Florida for the VAST majority of his career.

He's not the 2C Malkin is because Malkin is a 1C. Our expectations are different than the rest of the league.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So far, we've heard:

1. Burke say the Penguins did offer Malkin a 4 year deal
2. Friedman say that a 4 year, $6.1 million AAV deal was conceptually discussed with Malkin, but Malkin cut off negotiations before it went anywhere
3. DeFabo saying a 4 year, $6.1 million AAV deal was "on the table"
4. Seravalli saying that the Penguins had made a 4 year offer and were hoping to get him at a similar AAV as Letang
5. Even Rossi said that the Penguins had conceptually mentioned a 4 year deal (which he has since deleted his tweet saying that)

I don't even know how you can possibly portray this as "Hextall didn't want term to Malkin". Everyone outside of Josh Yohe is reporting that Hextall caved and at least started discussing a 4 year deal with Malkin.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Except he's been a 2C for Carolina and Florida for the VAST majority of his career.

He's not the 2C Malkin is because Malkin is a 1C. Our expectations are different than the rest of the league.
Well, if we sign Trocheck we better hope Hextall finds a way to add an elite 3rd wheel to the second line. Trocheck won't drive offense by himself.

Malkin could make chicken salad out of chicken shit. A guy like Trocheck (or even Kadri) cannot. Rakell is a nice piece. We need another one.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Everyone has reported that the Penguins had either offered a 4 year deal or had begun discussing a 4 year deal with Malkin. You've had multiple people suggest that the Penguins were willing to give Malkin a 4 year deal at Letang's AAV.

Hextall was cratering to his demands. Had he not walked away, a deal would have been done. But he got mad at how the negotiation process was going and he walked.
No where has it been written Hextall cratered to his demands. You speak as though this is gospel? But why?

Next I’ll be reading for the millionth time the pens will miss the playoffs next season.

Everyone is getting so worked up about nothing. Geno is going to be a pen.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, if we sign Trocheck we better hope Hextall finds a way to add an elite 3rd wheel to the second line. Trocheck won't drive offense by himself.

Malkin could make chicken salad out of chicken shit. A guy like Trocheck (or even Kadri) cannot. Rakell is a nice piece. We need another one.

If the Penguins do go with Trocheck as their 2C, they should bump Guentzel down to the 2nd line. They won't, but they should.

I'd want to go with:

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Trocheck-UFA with size

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
Its looking like the only person that can get Geno back is Sid. But I don't know anything

Help us Sidobi-Wan Kenobi. You're our only hope.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

Not true. Molinari said the Pens likely offered three, Dreger said he believes four was never offered. When has Hextall cratered to anyone's demands? His first offer to Malkin was two years. That stood for months, no one disputes that. The team is not comfortable with beyond three years. If there was a fourth year, I believe the AAV would be significantly lower as a concession. Malkin is not throwing 16 years away because his feelings got hurt. He doesn't like the offer.

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Malkin leaves and is replaced by Trochek the Pens have 1 star forward on the team. 1. Guentzel isn’t a star like that.

Do they have the depth or defense to account for that? Definitely doesn’t seem like it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not true. Molinari said the Pens likely offered three, Dreger said he believes four was never offered. When has Hextall cratered to anyone's demands? His first offer to Malkin was two years. That stood for months, no one disputes that. The team is not comfortable with beyond three years. If there was a fourth year, I believe the AAV would be significantly lower as a concession. Malkin is not throwing 16 years away because his feelings got hurt. He doesn't like the offer.

Lmao you're so deadset on blaming anyone but Malkin for leaving, it's hilarious.

Let's just ignore all of the sources that say the Penguins had at least begun discussing a 4 year deal. Let's ignore all of the sources saying that Malkin was "frustrated", "distraught" or "feels the negotiations were personal". Let's just ignore all of that because you can't accept that Malkin decided he didn't want to sign here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad