Geno Rumors in 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
In 08, Geno was rumored to have been offered to the LA Kings for a package of the second overall pick(Drew Doughty) and Mike Cammalleri and maybe another player. Looking back on this, would you have done the trade?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Only 2008?

When has Malkin not been featured in wrong trade rumors?

Friedman: 'People around the league' hearing Malkin unhappy, would welcome trade

Quote:
Evgeni Malkin may be unsatisfied with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The two-time Art Ross Trophy winner would reportedly not be opposed to a trade away from the club with which he has spent his entire career, league sources told Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

"When you get knocked out of the playoffs and the day after your president (and CEO David Morehouse) comes out and says, 'Look, we’re not firing Mike Johnston, we’re not firing Jim Rutherford, we’re not trading Evgeni Malkin, and we’re not trading Sidney Crosby,'" Friedman told Sportsnet 960 on Friday.

"Now I can understand you coming out and saying the first two, but why would you need to say the next two? Why do you have to tell everybody we're not trading Malkin or Crosby? And that's when the sale rumors went wild."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1906313&highlight=trade+malkin

Originally Posted by "Sportsnet Article: Mike Johnson

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...evgeni-malkin/

Elliotte Friedman:
“If you can get two or three pieces including a guy that can play with Crosby, don’t you have to think about it? At what point do you look at it and say yeah, we won the Stanley Cup, but that was six years ago? These two guys together make $18.2 million, and we keep losing in the playoffs because we don’t have enough support pieces. I think if you’re the Penguins you at least have to have that conversation,â€Â

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1889101&highlight=trade+malkin

Six potential trade destinations for Evgeni Malkin

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1888811&highlight=trade+malkin

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1442255&highlight=trade+malkin

All Full-Rossi Malkin Trade Talk Here

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1443265&highlight=trade+malkin

The above is merely part of 2015 and only includes supposedly legit sources. At any given moment since he was drafted there are at least a dozen of these, all of which are pure garbage. And they do not even include the stupidity of posters on the trade board.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is why the Canadian hockey media are such clowns to me, I hate the Yinzer morons, but these guys are next level idiots.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The best was some fixation on his father reportedly saying Geno liked Dallas at some point. It was a simpler time when they didn't have Hornqvist, Sheary, Maatta and Kessel to trade.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Having Letang and Doughty in our top 4 would have been pretty sick, but I still dont think that makes up for what Geno provides. Would've had to have been a pretty steep add from LA for me to consider it, and then you probably start running into salary cap problems fairly soon after. Good thing it didn't happen if those rumors were true.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Having Letang and Doughty in our top 4 would have been pretty sick, but I still dont think that makes up for what Geno provides. Would've had to have been a pretty steep add from LA for me to consider it, and then you probably start running into salary cap problems fairly soon after. Good thing it didn't happen if those rumors were true.

Doughty isn't even close to the player that Malkin is, particularly in 2008. It's just a silly rumor and one I honestly never heard.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No rumors this year or last year, finally.

I obviously wouldn't want them to make this trade.

tread102

Mar 17, 2008
I wonder if geno is mad at Phil for stealing his trade rumors thunder? I swear geno is second fiddle on everything.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
In 08, Geno was rumored to have been offered to the LA Kings for a package of the second overall pick(Drew Doughty) and Mike Cammalleri and maybe another player. Looking back on this, would you have done the trade?

Yeah definitely... keeping him has really not panned out.

Seriously why would you ask this looking back?

At the time the answer was hell no. Now it's no ****ing chance in hell.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
First off the trade rumor in 08 was kopitar, brown and depending on the source, some mix of Either Jack Johnson, or Doughty and/ or a first rounder...

Its tempting but also cap hellish

The 13/14/15 rumors of him going to the Kings still had Kopitar as the center piece....

We know the kings in 08 made an offer, but the Pens told them it was just a rumor and he wasn't for sale...

All of this ultimately was just Canadian media trying to trade the Russian guy off of Sids team....

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Well, kept Malkin and they won three Cups in the ensuing ten seasons.

Malkin is my favorite active player, so in general I would enjoy a Stanley Cup win more with him on the team than without him on the team. So, even if I thought the Pens would have won those three anyway, my answer would still be "no."

So, would the Pens have won four or more Stanley Cups by replacing Malkin? I doubt it. It likely doesn't solve any of the actual problems the team had during the first half of this decade. They would have still had Fleury and Shero, and it's very likely they still end up with Bylsma. Malkin himself was never a problem. There's not a year you can point to and say "the Penguins were eliminated because of Malkin." Even taking his cap hit into account, he has carried his weight throughout his career.

So no, I wouldn't make that trade. I wouldn't mind trading away all those *******s who acted like it was a foregone conclusion he would leave for some non-contender or the KHL just because he wanted to be "the man." Think JR could get a 3C for all those guys?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The only way you could actually justify this at the time was by saying Staal was an above average 2C. If we're judging these rumors on hindsight, then we do so with the knowledge that Staal is not the good/great 2C we thought he could be and therefore these trades seem dumber now than then.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Wonder how they felt in 09 when they saw him dominate after that.

But seriously we are talking about a superstar player who has been a top player in this league for many years now, if he was so miserable or wanted to leave like some morons reported he would have done so already.

I really do believe both Geno and Sid are great friends and will want to end their careers in Pittsburgh on the same team.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Was the rumor that the Pens offered Geno? I've never heard it that way, only that the Kings were trying to trade for Geno, hence the subsequent years of "Malkin to the Kings" references to Garrioch's column.

No rumors this year or last year, finally.

I obviously wouldn't want them to make this trade.

Did you miss the "Malkin is going to demand a trade to Chicago so that he can play with Panarin" rumors last year? :laugh:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I know it's summer, but we still have better things to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad