Geno Malkin vs Manny Ramirez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I like to think of Geno as the Manny Ramirez of the NHL.

Absolutely superior skills to almost anyone who has ever played the game, and when he decides to he can do things in the game that no one else can even think of doing. But then you are going to get your shifts/games where he simply isn't trying nearly as hard as he can. There are the dumb penalties he takes combined with the fact that players on the opposing team can seemingly get him on tilt and retaliating to them when its clear that a 1 for 1 trade in penalties with the other teams scrub player is bad for the team.

You deal with the bad to get the good.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is a silly thread. I also don't know that much about baseball so I can't comment intelligently about the comparison. That said, I really don't get the lazy thing with Malkin. I really don't see lazy when he is off his game. Frustrated maybe, but not lazy. Sid looked lazy in comparison to Geno last night. Does that make him Manny Ramirez?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
This is a silly thread. I also don't know that much about baseball so I can't comment intelligently about the comparison. That said, I really don't get the lazy thing with Malkin. I really don't see lazy when he is off his game. Frustrated maybe, but not lazy. Sid looked lazy in comparison to Geno last night. Does that make him Manny Ramirez?

This. Now can somebody lock this thread?

TheFlightlessBird

May 29, 2009
Ill take a stab. The points you bring up, aside from the Manny Ramirez comparison, have been stated ad nauseum on this board. We all know he commits dumb retaliatory penalties and it's been discussed.

nTsplnk*

Absolutely superior skills to almost anyone who has ever played the game, and when he decides to he can do things in the game that no one else can even think of doing. But then you are going to get your shifts/games where he simply isn't trying nearly as hard as he can. There are the dumb penalties he takes combined with the fact that players on the opposing team can seemingly get him on tilt and retaliating to them when its clear that a 1 for 1 trade in penalties with the other teams scrub player is bad for the team.

Geno has been very good this series. He's been great for us for most of his career. He plays one of his best games in ages and people still tear him down.

It's a shame.

necessaryroughness

Jun 1, 2008
New Jersey

Both are my favorite players in either sport, however it's not even an appropriate comparison.

Manny would QUIT if he didn't get his way and he was aided by PED's.

I don't believe Geno has ever quit on a game or his teammates, he just tries to do way too much at times.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
:scared: wait...i mean....:facepalm:

But for realsies

Both are my favorite players in either sport, however it's not even an appropriate comparison.

Manny would QUIT if he didn't get his way and he was aided by PED's.

I don't believe Geno has ever quit on a game or his teammates, he just tries to do way too much at times.

This is the only thing I could buy when talking ill of Geno. Especially after last nights game, he was a world beater and could not catch a break. Had one guy been in the spot to put away a rebound then game over man...game over.

Can he get on tilt...maybe. He's been better at it where if you make him mad he might just start destroying your team (in the good way for Pens fans.) but quit, not the Geno I've seen.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
How can you make this thread after last night? That was one of the best efforts I've seen Malkin give thus far in the playoffs.

wopper

Jan 12, 2009
Malkin is way more talented compared to his generation and sport than Manny is/was to his. Way more.

Also Malkin is way more team oriented. He does take selfish penalties more often than most of us would like, but you can't really compare that to much in baseball.

Malkin is also amazing at offense and defense. Manny was more of an offense-only guy.

My opinion. Not really the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad