Injury Report: Geno Has Knee Surgery

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
If it’s ACL, he’s out a minimum 9 months. Hopefully not!

Maybe meniscus repair, which can be 4-6 months. Sometimes longer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How he was playing in the playoffs makes me think it's MCL surgery. He had trouble turning and making quick stops in the playoffs and I imagine that's probably a MCL issue.

My guess is 4-6 months. If it was ACL then he'd basically be out until the deadline next year.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
How he was playing in the playoffs makes me think it's MCL surgery. He had trouble turning and making quick stops in the playoffs and I imagine that's probably a MCL issue.

My guess is 4-6 months. If it was ACL then he'd basically be out until the deadline next year.

That’s best case scenario for sure.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
At his age, will he be able to come back from that and be successful?

It's crazy that the first one was 10 years ago already. Hard to speculate without knowing if it's a second ACL or MCL reconstruction. They tell less and less about injuries every day. Sounds like he delayed it until now so he could play in the playoffs.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Eh, just read Freddie Fu is pretty much the foremost authority in the world on ACL reconstruction. Not sure if it means anything or just that Pittsburgh is lucky to have a guy like that resident there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The worst kept secret in hockey just got confirmed despite Sullivan's attempts to be vague about the injury for most of the time Malkin was out.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I mean, considering what he did in the playoffs on one knee I think he’ll be fine.

The big issue here is no training on his legs for two consecutive off seasons.
He’s not exactly an explosive skater. He uses his smarts more than anything.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Eh, just read Freddie Fu is pretty much the foremost authority in the world on ACL reconstruction. Not sure if it means anything or just that Pittsburgh is lucky to have a guy like that resident there.

Freddie Fu is the world's leading authority in ACL's. He performed two (1 on each leg) ACL allograft replacements on me in '92. His office was lined with top world athletes' autographed jerseys. We're talking European soccer players to NFL players. He's the guy. He also has an autographed, game-worn Lemieux jersey from the '92 finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad