Geno and fans

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
A little while back people were talking about how Geno thrives off fans. It’s been five games now, but the sample size is growing.

Since fans came back the pens are 4 - 1

Geno has 2g 5a 7pts in 5 games. He also looks the best he has since last spring.

Coincidence or is Geno proving the importance of fans. (At least for him)

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Finding a stretch as dire as Montreal and the start of this season combined would be hard.

The likelihood of not being in proper condition due to weird training camps + the absence of fans having something to do with it is pretty high

LOTS of zero zero games in 14-15

Total no show in playoff round too

For all I know he was injured tho

I don't keep track of that lol

Reactions: Gurglesons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
LOTS of zero zero games in 14-15

Total no show in playoff round too

For all I know he was injured tho

I don't keep track of that lol

Yeah, 10 games without a point going from the end of the season into the playoffs is pretty bad.

Still feels pretty rare and the sort of thing where I'd like for underlying causes.

Reactions: EightyOne

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I just think its an interesting dynamic to talk about. Not just Geno but I wonder if other teams have players like this.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I absolutely believe this adversely affected him (no fans). I also believe the fact his wife and kid are back in town now also had a big impact on his resurgence. He's an emotional player. And think of it like this. When Sids out he elevates his game to a whole other level. Why? Because he knows everyone is counting on him. Absolutely convinced he thrives by having that support and knowing he's counted on.

PenguinSuitedUp

Oct 2, 2019
It’s way more likely he just didn’t have a good training regimen in the off-season, compounded by the fact that there was basically no spring training, and now his legs are coming back.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
I think it's probably both. He seems to be a very emotional player, feeds off his team playing well and his own play more than anything. He also seems to get a boost from the fans, both ways. The slow start and lack of offseason training is probably just as much of a factor. Basically my opinion is non controversial. But I trust someone will find a way...

Reactions: tom_servo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the lack of fans affects every player. How much is hard to quantify, but a lot of players do talk about using the emotion/atmosphere of fans to help them play better during games.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think he's just settled in with Kapanen.

Crosby and Malkin are notoriously slow starters. Malkin playing with Zucker for the first 17 games of the season didn't help. I've always felt like Malkin has done more or better with more skilled players. While Crosby seems to prefer the company of faster guys who are good around the net, while Malkin prefers more naturally skilled wingers.

I'm not saying Crosby can't play with skilled guys, but he just doesn't seem to like playing with them. Zucker lacks the consistency to be the main scorer on a line, he's more of a complimentary guy. Crosby liked playing with Zucker, they did well together. Crosby likes playing with Rust. I don't see the issue with spreading out our offense a bit once Zucker is healthy. I know it's repetitive and people keep bringing it up, but it's baffling how Sullivan refuses to at the very least try it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think there were a number of things:

1. Less than optimal off season training.
2. Less than optimal chemistry with Zucker.
3. Lack of confidence because of #1 and #2.
4. To a lesser extent, lack of fans.

Then, everything kind of came together at once.

1. He played his way into game shape and we saw signs of improvement before...
2. ...he got that game with Guentzel-Rust while Sid was out on COVID protocol which led to...
3. ...having a good game and him getting his mojo back...
4. ...and that game happened to be the first game back with fans.

I would like to see Zucker with this version of Malkin, though. They might just never click together, but sometimes it's just about timing and small sample sizes.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
More than anything, I think Geno was just in his own head too much. He's getting older, sure, and that's had a bit of an effect but he was just playing with absolutely zero confidence in himself or his linemates.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A little while back people were talking about how Geno thrives off fans. It’s been five games now, but the sample size is growing.

Since fans came back the pens are 4 - 1

Geno has 2g 5a 7pts in 5 games. He also looks the best he has since last spring.

Coincidence or is Geno proving the importance of fans. (At least for him)

The real reason is...and you won't even believe this....

He talked to Geico and 15mins saved him 15% by switching to Geico...he's been a beast ever since.​

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know I said this about goaltenders a fair amount, but the lack of pre-season and training affects everyone differently and Geno the last few years, or rather since his bad knee injury, has taken his conditioning more seriously, so his timing likely was just off and he was dogging it because he really just didn't have his legs yet and now that he's hit his stride, he's looking a lot like pre-stoppage Geno. He looks engaged in all areas of the game, that's the Geno we all know and love watching.

That's the excuse I am going with, a lot of players have been having weird starts, for obvious reasons. Even if these blokes are rich, some have families, etc, so being out there during a global pandemic even a little bit isn't close to the amount they used to go. So I don't want to say oh he's got money, likely had access to a gym back in Russia, when really...when players were doing Zoom calls with the Media, a lot of them barely had gym stuff at home and really, why the f*** would they? Teams provide top of the line equipment and facilities for them, taking that work home would be frustrating.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think Geno as much as anyone was ill affected by playing in a glorified morgue.

Just like the Pens are every year when they go to the Rock. Where we have four more this year with no fans again.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
4QzFKlR.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad