Geno... 65% in the dot after 3 games. What gives?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have not heard ANY info/news on this and I know it's a very short time frame, but a career 44% FO guy is at 65% and it looks like he's trying different things out there. Does anyone have any info that this is something he worked on? I have been very impressed.

It really does look like he's taking a different approach but i have not dissected the technique component yet. I'll leave that to @Jesse to do. :laugh:

Also..1k games played coming up! What are your thoughts?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not a big "Faceoffs are everything! Faceoffs are life!" guy and never have been. I think it's kind of an overstated ability by a lot of the hockey community. If you have one ace on your roster and the rest aren't flat out abysmal on average than you are just fine.

That said it is weird. But I expect it to level back off to closer to historical norms. I think in general we're seeing a rather agitated, chip-on-his shoulder and (while old) almost completely healthy Malkin this season. For now. That's the big difference. He's not terribly pleased that everyone thinks he's washed.

EDIT: As for 1000 games. Lets actually see if he gets there, first hahaha

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’re jinxing Geno on 1,000 games lol

imo Geno has always had spurts where he’s done well on FOs….I think a lot of it in the past was him just not caring…I mean, FOs are mostly significant only on the PP and PK, but I think he’s coming around to see the benefit of winning those FOs…winning FO can be key to Ozone possession…his second goal probably doesn’t happen if he doesn’t win the FO against Suzuki…I believe Geno’s FO % is better in POs than RS but someone correct me if I’m wrong

Reactions: vodeni

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I have not heard ANY info/news on this and I know it's a very short time frame, but a career 44% FO guy is at 65% and it looks like he's trying different things out there. Does anyone have any info that this is something he worked on? I have been very impressed.

It really does look like he's taking a different approach but i have not dissected the technique component yet. I'll leave that to @Jesse to do. :laugh:

Also..1k games played coming up! What are your thoughts?
he's taking all the pp faceoffs and seemingly winning all of them

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
We’re jinxing Geno on 1,000 games lol

imo Geno has always had spurts where he’s done well on FOs….I think a lot of it in the past was him just not caring…I mean, FOs are mostly significant only on the PP and PK, but I think he’s coming around to see the benefit of winning those FOs…winning FO can be key to Ozone possession…his second goal probably doesn’t happen if he doesn’t win the FO against Suzuki…I believe Geno’s FO % is better in POs than RS but someone correct me if I’m wrong
this, for us who rewind every Geno's move, I can tell you that his winning percentage on FO that he really cared about (PP or left circle where he uses his backhand for an all set up play) has always been north of .500. and for @ColePens , one thing that is noticable, in the past Geno drops the stick and if he wins, he wins, so far this season, he gets second attempt, he pushes the skate in to block the opponents skate, real hustle, that helped him win quite a few FO so far. He also looks more bent down and kind of lower his center of gravity to give him a bit more strength. In other words he gives a shit for some reason:laugh::laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
this, for us who rewind every Geno's move, I can tell you that his winning percentage on FO that he really cared about (PP or left circle where he uses his backhand for an all set up play) has always been north of .500. and for @ColePens , one thing that is noticable, in the past Geno drops the stick and if he wins, he wins, so far this season, he gets second attempt, he pushes the skate in to block the opponents skate, real hustle, that helped him win quite a few FO so far. He also looks more bent down and kind of lower his center of gravity to give him a bit more strength. In other words he gives a shit for some reason:laugh::laugh:

yep. who would've guessed giving your other superstar more responsibilities instead of treating him like a problem would result in him embracing the roles!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
yep. who would've guessed giving your other superstar more responsibilities instead of treating him like a problem would result in him embracing the roles!

There is a ton of truth to this that doesn't seem to get acknowledged enough.

Malkin generally almost always delivers when he is trusted. I wish they'd get him out there more to seal games. Ahem.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There is a ton of truth to this that doesn't seem to get acknowledged enough.

Malkin generally almost always delivers when he is trusted. I wish they'd get him out there more to seal games. Ahem.
ZMR was out there plenty in the clutch yesterday. Sully clearly likes what he sees right now

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
ZMR was out there plenty in the clutch yesterday. Sully clearly likes what he sees right now

Sure. I'm just saying that a near-surefire trick to getting Malkin going is to actually lean on him for more things. If I'm Sullivan I try to find more and more situations to get him in out there without burning him out via overuse.

Hopefully he keeps it up. He seems dialed in right now. Which is usually exactly when he or a crucial component of his line that the team can't really replace takes a nagging LBI or something utterly predictable.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I've noticed a more "chopping" motion from Malkin this year on the dot, especially on the backhand. Then he uses his frame to box out the other guy and is able to push the puck back to teammates

This is different as Geno used to mimic Sid a bit...he really likes the "swipe" and Sid's hand/eye is next level so it's hard for anyone to replicate.

Reactions: vodeni

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
FWIW, Geno was also just a hair lower than Sid on FO% in the postseason last year. It's not really a super recent thing, I think it's just more of a sign that Geno's heavily invested in this season.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
geno's always been like that. more responsibility has always made him even more invested, not less. it's one of the things Therrien got right while he was here. I'm with @vodeni, on the important draws he's always been above average. It just seems like now just about every draw is important to him for the first time in his career lol. Probably a combination of Crosby's influence and that Geno is rather pissed off this season.

WHERE is @KIRK to see this resurgence? I don't even see an account anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I miss that dang ol' cuss @KIRK. But I think he deleted his profile because he was just not having fun here and had other things to do with his time like traveling with his wife.

:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad