WC: General Talk '12 — Switzerland

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Good game by the swiss, looks like they are are in top 7 or top 8 with that play, menas they can win anyone in the tournament. THey countrolled the play pretty good time to time and had good forecheck what put some problems on our D that isnt that world class (timonen, pitkänen, salo, lydman we could've used you :rant:).

But the D did good job on defending. Mostly the swiss just put in some shots on the legs of defender and didint have that many great1000$ chanches. Also we were stronger easily in the goalie area and didint let any crappy goals in (thats how you win tough games, its not about beaty).

Deserved win, 1 could argue about one finns dive one penalty, but since swiss had their diving goal (the guy put hes head down and clean hit resulted in a penalty) and also dived tripping penalty in the very start of game what made Koivu mad its even steven and its still 5-2.

Swiss reminded my like old times when we allways outwork/skate teams like Checz or Canada, shoot everywhere, and then lose the game barely but still lose it most of times. They are pretty close for beating up anyone. They just need some players who can adjust the tempo, sometimes lower the tempo, create some room and better scoring chances, and they need to be stronger clearly in front of the net if they want those crappy goals and they must be tough on their own net too.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
1st goal ... Defense (blindenbacher) and goalie. no world class scorer.
2nd goal ... rebound and luck/unluck depending who you speak about ... berra doesn't look great no world class scorer ! (and no world class goalie)
3rd goal ... not bad by the finn player but stoppable /berra goes years too fast down :shakehead
4th goal ... PP ... not bad with a very efficient power play.
5th goal ... i didn't see !

While I agree with your impression that our goaltending is subpar this year, my assessment of the goals is a bit different.

On the first goal, the player to blame is Rubin who took a penalty in the neutral zone. On the goal, I can't blame the defense as you can't cover everyone while playing shorthanded. The finns got a lucky bounce but Immonen reacted well.

I won't comment on the 2nd goal, I was seating on the other side of the rink and didn't see it well. I'll just take this opportunity to complain against Jalonen who robbed me of my last chance to see Ville Peltonen because he prefered some guy who doesn't even deserve to play hockey.

About the third goal, I think you're selling Immonen short here. That was a world class finish.

The fourth goal was an easy one thanks to an amazing pass by Jokinen.

And on the fifth goal, credit to Fillpula for attacking the net and finishing the play.

On the other hand, Switzerland lacked finishing skills at least twice: Du Bois early in the game, and the guy who missed the net (was it Niederreiter?) on that three on two in the second period.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Deserved win, 1 could argue about one finns dive one penalty, but since swiss had their diving goal (the guy put hes head down and clean hit resulted in a penalty) and also dived tripping penalty in the very start of game what made Koivu mad its even steven and its still 5-2.

Joensuu's penatly was a bad call, but certainly not a dive.

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
I agree with torero, Swiss used to beat teams with way more talent in offense than this Finland team has.

Hope Sui will take point from CAN and then beat USA and SVK

Yes they did...but finland doesnt win the games/tournaments because they are so high skilled. they just combine "pretty good skill" with, hard working play, good system, and 100 % concentration. The cant rely only on talent they never could......maybe the canadiens can..... thats why they dont underrate opponents. they have to work for (almost) every win.

Last edited:

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
I won't comment on the 2nd goal, I was seating on the other side of the rink and didn't see it well. I'll just take this opportunity to complain against Jalonen who robbed me of my last chance to see Ville Peltonen because he prefered some guy who doesn't even deserve to play hockey.

Who are you reffering to`?

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
Komarov is a good player. He plays hard, trashtalks and goes under the skin. nowadays he even sometimes score. i like him. were you offended by his celebration or what?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
While I agree with your impression that our goaltending is subpar this year, my assessment of the goals is a bit different.

On the first goal, the player to blame is Rubin who took a penalty in the neutral zone. On the goal, I can't blame the defense as you can't cover everyone while playing shorthanded. The finns got a lucky bounce but Immonen reacted well.

About the third goal, I think you're selling Immonen short here. That was a world class finish.

The fourth goal was an easy one thanks to an amazing pass by Jokinen.

And on the fifth goal, credit to Fillpula for attacking the net and finishing the play.

On the other hand, Switzerland lacked finishing skills at least twice: Du Bois early in the game, and the guy who missed the net (was it Niederreiter?) on that three on two in the second period.

Actually more than blaming Nino for missing the goal, i would blame Wick (that i really like) for passing instead of shooting !!

As per the goal of Immonen ... sorry but Berra goes to the floor so quickly !!
to me the tiping of Rutheman was by far of higher class !! (except that it didn't go in !) Their, the Finn goalie is seriously lucky and well positioned (or well positioned and lucky ).

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Switzerland FTW. You'll beat either USA or SVK and advance, i'm sure. Tonight was really unfair. I bet the Swiss players felt yesterday's game in 3rd period.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
stv11 said:

Komarov, who else? That guy would fit well with Real Madrid, but shouldn't wear a hockey jersey.

:laugh:

This is why I love Komarov, it makes people feel like you feel :naughty:

Admit it, you would love him on your team

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I've always hated him, like any player behaving like that, more so if they play for my team. Winning is good, winning with class is better.

Regarding tonight's game, I'm disappointed by the result. That third goal was really stupid with Du Bois screwing up the line change. That and the fact that the ref didn't give five minutes to Sharp.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Bad game by Sbisa and Streit, they were on the ice and very sloppy in start of 2 and 3 peroids and both resulted in goal.. Also bad penalties atleast for Sbisa.

Great effort again by siwss, allmost could pull out victory against Canada and they had back-to-backer... But they must be awake in start of peroids, avoid stupid penalties (dont give ref a chance to blow the whistle, even weakly), and be stronger in front of the net in both ends. If they do those things im sure they start winning big games.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I've always hated him, like any player behaving like that, more so if they play for my team. Winning is good, winning with class is better.
Yeah, he is pretty much Jarkko Ruutu vol 2. And that is the very reason he wears the jersey.

He would have been in though even if Peltonen had made it.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
According to hockeyfans.ch, Seger practiced with Rüthemann and Monnet. The defensive pairs were:

Streit-Blindenbacher
Josi-Sbisa
Du Bois-Bezina
Von Gunten-Furrer

ElTailR

Apr 13, 2012
Geneva
The lines are okay but i don't know if it's a good idea to change them all in the middle of the tournament

ElTailR

Apr 13, 2012
Geneva
According to RTSsport.ch (i don't know where they got their information), the line up would be this one :

Bieber-Ambühl-Wick
Hollenstein-Romy-Brunner
Rüthemann-Monnet-Seger
Plüss-Trachsler-Niederreiter

Streit-Blindenbacher
Josi-Sbisa
Bezina-Du Bois
Furrer- von Gunten

Stephan

(Berra as second goalie and Flueler the only one scratched)

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
How has Nino looked?
Despite his lack of scoring, he has been one of our best forewards. He really imperessed me. But he has a lot of bad luck in the offence, he does everythibg right, but just can't score. I also thinks he leads all of the F in icetime.

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011
Despite his lack of scoring, he has been one of our best forewards. He really imperessed me. But he has a lot of bad luck in the offence, he does everythibg right, but just can't score. I also thinks he leads all of the F in icetime.

Thats's good to hear :). Hope he finds his scoring touch (not vs SVK of course;) ) . He was a threat to watch a few years ago in the WJC's.

Selke37

Bear since 1989
Dec 5, 2011
Bruins World
According to RTSsport.ch (i don't know where they got their information), the line up would be this one :

Bieber-Ambühl-Wick
Hollenstein-Romy-Brunner
Rüthemann-Monnet-Seger
Plüss-Trachsler-Niederreiter

Streit-Blindenbacher
Josi-Sbisa
Bezina-Du Bois
Furrer- von Gunten

Stephan

(Berra as second goalie and Flueler the only one scratched)

Switch niederreiter and Bieber and you have it right :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad