WC: General Talk '12 — Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkilledViking

May 12, 2012
Oslo
Nah we spend all our money on wall street. Road building and health care dosent mather. Its all about stocks and paper money :shakehead :help:

Anyways Stavanger oilers (The best norwegian team. Our 3rd D pairing in WC, came from that team) is building a new arena (DNB arena) and Sparta Sarpsborg is expanding theirs.

when the next season start, then DNB arena can take 4500 spectators and sparta amfi 3900. So hopefully hockey can grow a little bit in our country :) The biggest arenas in norway are:

Hamar ol amfi (6000)
DNB arena (4500)
Jordal amfi (4450)
Sparta amfi (3900)

If you count with Haakons hall, its by far the biggest hockeyarena in Norway (13000). The rink in Gjøvik has a capacity of 6000 spectators.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
If you count with Haakons hall, its by far the biggest hockeyarena in Norway (13000). The rink in Gjøvik has a capacity of 6000 spectators.

Yeah, but none of em are used for hockey. HÃ¥kons hall is way to big for little Lillehammer. The towns population is about the same as the arenas capacity :laugh: but Kristins hall isnt bad (about 3000 and "modern")

SkilledViking

May 12, 2012
Oslo
Yeah, but none of em are used for hockey. HÃ¥kons hall is way to big for little Lillehammer. The towns population is about the same as the arenas capacity :laugh: but Kristins hall isnt bad (about 3000 and "modern")[/QUO

I totally agree, but you are wrong about Gjøvik. Gjøvik's team in Division 1 plays all of their games in the rink at Gjøvik, and so does theyre younger teams.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Yeah, but none of em are used for hockey. HÃ¥kons hall is way to big for little Lillehammer. The towns population is about the same as the arenas capacity :laugh: but Kristins hall isnt bad (about 3000 and "modern")[/QUO

I totally agree, but you are wrong about Gjøvik. Gjøvik's team in Division 1 plays all of their games in the rink at Gjøvik, and so does theyre younger teams.

Ah I see. My bad :( Im not an expert when it comes to division 1 :) but thanks! Now ive learned something today :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Lucky u :) I had to play soccer when i was a kid, because there is no rinks in the Drammen area :(

Beside the lack of rinks the question of money also throws off a lot of people. I had a rink fairly close by but my parents didn't have the money since hockey is very expensive compared to other sports (membership + equipment especially in a growing age!). So I played land/field hockey instead as a substitute - sadly no bandy possible in Denmark :cry:
Then later playing lacrosse when i could afford equipment....and that is actually traditional summer training for canadian hockey players.
Off course it's totally different stick control in fieldhockey so I really surprised/perplexed some icehockey kids using my landhockey stick while playing rollerscate hockey. (offcourse my landlubber feet was not match against 12 years old growing up on scates). But i did show them some moves they havent seen before :yo:

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Beside the lack of rinks the question of money also throws off a lot of people. I had a rink fairly close by but my parents didn't have the money since hockey is very expensive compared to other sports (membership + equipment especially in a growing age!). So I played land/field hockey instead as a substitute - sadly no bandy possible in Denmark :cry:
Then later playing lacrosse when i could afford equipment....and that is actually traditional summer training for canadian hockey players.
Off course it's totally different stick control in fieldhockey so I really surprised/perplexed some icehockey kids using my landhockey stick while playing rollerscate hockey. (offcourse my landlubber feet was not match against 12 years old growing up on scates). But i did show them some moves they havent seen before :yo:

Nice ;) but yeah hockey is expensive :(

I would love to try field or street hockey. Sounds cool!

I played soccer from, i was 5 or 6 to 11 or 12 years old or something like that (central deffender and right back). Also played chess and strategy games :) Im most intrested in tactics and the system we are playing. Im a fan of Drillo and Roy Johansen. I love defensive system and physical play :yo: Its kinda cool to be a pain in the ass and I love the fact that most danes hate Drillo :handclap:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Nice ;) but yeah hockey is expensive :(

I would love to try field or street hockey. Sounds cool!

I played soccer from, i was 5 or 6 to 11 or 12 years old or something like that (central deffender and right back). Also played chess and strategy games :) Im most intrested in tactics and the system we are playing. Im a fan of Drillo and Roy Johansen. I love defensive system and physical play :yo: Its kinda cool to be a pain in the ass and I love the fact that most danes hate Drillo :handclap:

Actually street hockey is on rollerscates and fieldhockey is with footballboots on grass - but they are both cool.
Danes don't hate Drillo personally (he is quiet a cool customer)....they hate his kind of football :laugh: as I said before it offends the danish aesthetic sense (we are very romantic when it comes to football)!
Chess + Football -> you tried the Simen Agdestein combination???

I have played almost anything (Football, Handball, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Squash, Table Tennis, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Chess, Shotokan Karate, Longbow Archery & Middle Earth PlayByMail World Championship for Team Scandinavia (Won Germany, Lost to Australia) - what i can recall right now - and I havent ever played icehockey though a huge fan of it for 25 years). I had a passion of trying new stuff....but i did get to play national team in Lacrosse (Salzburg 2003 & Prague 2004) and standing hearing your national anthem and flag being raised is really something extra!
If I hadn't been Danish I would definitely have done:
Had i lived in Norway: Cross Country Skiing & Speed Scating.
Had i lived in Sweden: Bandy & Icehockey.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thats to bad :cry: This is just a confirmation on our lack of rinks around the country. I was fortunate enough to grow up in Oslo, so I had plenty of options. Sad to hear that you didn't have the same opportunity to play as myself :(

Yeah Denmark & Norway definitely need more rinks.
I talked about Rødovre on the Latvian forum, that has to turn down so many kids. They have room for 25 U10 players, and if you havent started before 10 (preferable already at 6) the places are taken almost all the age groups up.
And it is exactly at that growing age where it is very expensive with equipment!
You need a hockey family that can make sure you are very early in your choice.

SkilledViking

May 12, 2012
Oslo
Yeah Denmark & Norway definitely need more rinks.
I talked about Rødovre on the Latvian forum, that has to turn down so many kids. They have room for 25 U10 players, and if you havent started before 10 (preferable already at 6) the places are taken almost all the age groups up.
And it is exactly at that growing age where it is very expensive with equipment!
You need a hockey family that can make sure you are very early in your choice.

Yes I read youre post on the latvian forum. Just sad. Imagine how many talents that goes down the drain, not because they wont play but because they cant... Smaller nations like Norway and Denmark etc. Can never be any better if we dont change something asap!

We need more rinks, we need promotion of the sport and sponsorship. I cant see why hockey cant be as popular as football. Norway suck in it and plays a really boring game. Denmark was good some years ago, but I cant say im impressed by them either lately (no offence).

anofsti

May 14, 2011
(QUOTE=TollefsenFan;49853099)

Thats to bad :cry: This is just a confirmation on our lack of rinks around the country. I was fortunate enough to grow up in Oslo, so I had plenty of options. Sad to hear that you didn't have the same opportunity to play as myself :(

You should try growing up in Nord-Trøndelag. :help:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Yes I read youre post on the latvian forum. Just sad. Imagine how many talents that goes down the drain, not because they wont play but because they cant... Smaller nations like Norway and Denmark etc. Can never be any better if we dont change something asap!

We need more rinks, we need promotion of the sport and sponsorship. I cant see why hockey cant be as popular as football. Norway suck in it and plays a really boring game. Denmark was good some years ago, but I cant say im impressed by them either lately (no offence).

Yeah opportunity is what is needed. Young kids watch the WC on TV....seeing Norway doing well they might beg their parents to enroll them in a hockey club. Parents figure out there is nothing around; sad kid try something else instead.
All sports move from TV-coverage to membership in clubs; but you have to "smede mens jernet er varmt" (do you smithing while the iron is hot). Norway have a historic chance these last WC for a huge increase in membership but if nobody makes any rinks it's lost opportunity. Even though Denmark is smaller it's still big areas without any opportunities, but off course distances in Norway are colossal.
Denmark and Norway could easily have hockey move up higher (maybe never reaching football or handball), but at least somewhat higher up in membership from current 4250 in Denmark (4270 in Latvia, which is remarkably similar) to at least the double without any problems finding new members if we had rinks for it.
No offence taken about your football comments...Denmark is still far from earlier national football teams, but at least we have qualified :D
It's our hockey families that really makes the national team....sons of former players that starts very early scating and playing. But it would be nice to have it as an accepted sport and not the old public image as a bit of a hooligan sport.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Yeah opportunity is what is needed. Young kids watch the WC on TV....seeing Norway doing well they might beg their parents to enroll them in a hockey club. Parents figure out there is nothing around; sad kid try something else instead.
All sports move from TV-coverage to membership in clubs; but you have to "smede mens jernet er varmt" (do you smithing while the iron is hot). Norway have a historic chance these last WC for a huge increase in membership but if nobody makes any rinks it's lost opportunity. Even though Denmark is smaller it's still big areas without any opportunities, but off course distances in Norway are colossal.
Denmark and Norway could easily have hockey move up higher (maybe never reaching football or handball), but at least somewhat higher up in membership from current 4250 in Denmark (4270 in Latvia, which is remarkably similar) to at least the double without any problems finding new members if we had rinks for it.
No offence taken about your football comments...Denmark is still far from earlier national football teams, but at least we have qualified :D
It's our hockey families that really makes the national team....sons of former players that starts very early scating and playing. But it would be nice to have it as an accepted sport and not the old public image as a bit of a hooligan sport.

Its the same here in Norway :)

Smiddletown

Sep 15, 2008
Is it? In 2012? I think that was a preconception of the 90's but these days, in my experience, not anymore.
But then I live 5 minutes from a GET-team rink in harry-land, so maybe it's just my local area.

Hypno Toad

Mar 26, 2011
Northern Minnesota
As an American of Norwegian descent (Grandmother moved here), I loved seeing Norway do well. I hope Norway can gain hockey prowess over the years and develop more NHL players!

Greetings from America. I'd love to visit my family in Norway and maybe even have a temporary stay.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
As an American of Norwegian descent (Grandmother moved here), I loved seeing Norway do well. I hope Norway can gain hockey prowess over the years and develop more NHL players!

Greetings from America. I'd love to visit my family in Norway and maybe even have a temporary stay.

Thanks :thumbu: Hopefully norwegian hockey will grow, but first u norwegian- americans have to persuade Dustin Byfuglien to play for Norway :laugh: It would be awesome with Tollefsen and Byfuglien as a first D pair :laugh:

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
Of course, as long as its fun. But the sad part is that you didnt have a choice. Youre closest rink is in Asker or so right? Pretty long way, when you are a little boy...

Yeah Asker, Kongsberg or Hønefoss :shakehead Our politicians spend all our money on wallstreet and nothing on roads, sport and culture (and no I do not like opera!) So its not only norwegian hockey thats suffering.... Hopefully we will get a rink in Drammen, but i doubt it :(

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Thanks :thumbu: Hopefully norwegian hockey will grow, but first u norwegian- americans have to persuade Dustin Byfuglien to play for Norway :laugh: It would be awesome with Tollefsen and Byfuglien as a first D pair :laugh:

Does Dustin speak Norweigan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad