WC: General Talk '12 — Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The Swiss team will be toughest test so far.. Im impressed by their play and lets not forget that they had a huge disappointment last year and have been playing together for quite some time already.

Could even surprise for a medal in this tourny IMO.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I agree. Swiss is really tough and underrated this year! Okay Swedes have completely different team now than they did before, but Swiss beat them twice 2 weeks back and they beat us once in the other game and second time we beat them in the OT, so combine those 2 games and they beat us legit. We didn't have all our players sure, but we didn't have a bad team either and they didn't have all their WC players also.

I'll predict that they have a really good shot at beating us as they are better than SVK probably and they will upset either USA or CAN. However they get eliminated in the QF.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
We will lose against USA for sure. They will take medal.
Goaltending is a huge part though and with Lehtonen being the best one in this tournament we have a good shot against everybody. Even with all the scoring problems.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Not on paper but their team is build for bigger ice. If their goalie gets hot everything is possible.

Well yeah, its not like the finnish team is build for small rink :sarcasm:

Im not worried at all, we've had some fantastic success against US in recent years and luckily their team lacks the same finish as our team.

It should be kinda even matchup with the exception that we want it more.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Hockey country Finland having the World Champs going on and no one is interested in Swiss-Belarussia game.. oh wait the ticket prices were what, 70-100 euroes?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Just fine, isn't good enough.
At this point it is. Look, the team isn't a mess. I'm not against minor adjustments and even called for some myself, but complete overhaul as the one you suggest is overkill.

I'd understand this if we've lost games or alternatively eked out lucky wins while being under pressure. But no, our team's got two wins under its belt and for that 120 minutes of hockey I've seen thus far, the right team has been on the driver's seat for majority of the time.

Our defense works, we hold the puck most of the time, and our guys have kept the opponent off their A game. There's one thing that's been lacking and it's scoring, more importantly: the 1st unit scoring.

It's clearly up to small things to click in place that our team starts to be a legitimate powerhouse. Very small things. Jalonen will find 'em and fix 'em, don't you worry.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We shall see, but like I said, have to respect the Swiss and could be a too big risk to do more than one player swap between 2 players now. I think we all know which two.

I hope we face the meanest possible (motivated) Canada, so we get that reality check. I'm honestly not even sure Canada learned from their USA loss. They'll start playing in the QF game and place #4 in the group or something after losing to Swiss as well, LOL. Would be so typical of them in the WC.

Btw any opposition against SWE-CAN QF game?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Oh crap. Completely forgot about that. That's not good. Ok I don't like this system anymore. I'll rather take SWE,RUS,CZE over CAN or USA in the QF...

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I would like to see Tuppurainen or Kiiskinen taking Jokinen's place for a game or two. I don't want to break the 3rd ine by taking Komarov away, it's going to start scoring soon.

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Granlund

Hes performance has been realy great so far in this tournament. Someone els who notice that the few sekonds Koivu and Granlund whas on the ice at the same time things happened? every time! mayby they should try granlund and koivu on the same PP just once or twice? koivu can manage to play in both pp1 and pp2, thoughts?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I'd take CAN or USA any day over Sweden in QF.

Normally I would not agree with this but this year the difference in pure talent level between Sweden and Finland, goaltenders excluded, is too great to ignore.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
What I would do to our lines:

Filppula - Koivu - Kiiskinen
PIG
Komarov - Kapanen - Jokinen
Pihlström - Kontiola - Joensuu

Let Pyörälä eat some popcorn. We have no use for him.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
What I would do to our lines:

Filppula - Koivu - Kiiskinen
PIG
Komarov - Kapanen - Jokinen
Pihlström - Kontiola - Joensuu

Let Pyörälä eat some popcorn. We have no use for him.

Well, to be fair, Jokinen and Kontiola haven't been exactly stellar either...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Agreed. But Jokinen and Kontiola have much bigger potential to be good than Pyörälä.
That depends on how one defines "good", actually. Pyörälä is probably one of the most reliable players in that squad in his own role... at least when he is in form.

That being said, there however aren't as viable options to replace those two as there are for Pyörälä.

But it's a moot point for now, considering Jalonen already announced not a thing gets changed in the lineup vs. Switzerland, save for Lehtonen in net.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Isn't Pyörälä a good two way player? So far our defense has clicked. We just need our top 2 lines to start bending the twine.

In general, he is good. However, I think we'd be better if we got Kiiskinen in the lineup. Pyörälä is a logical choice to be out, as he hasn't been good in this tournament so far.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So, it seems what we will continue with same lines as yesterday. Source

How many chances is that first line going to get? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad