General Preds Talk Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Well not quite a Weber Bomb, but it was off of Weber

Hope he's ok. Makes the upcoming trade deadline more complicated if he has a concussion. Can he work? Is he thinking clearly? Is he as aggressive moving Leggy? Does Fenton play a larger role?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Hope he's ok. Makes the upcoming trade deadline more complicated if he has a concussion. Can he work? Is he thinking clearly? Is he as aggressive moving Leggy? Does Fenton play a larger role?
Nice of you to at least get the "hope he's okay" part out of the way real quick haha

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I know, I just find humor in small things. It was like "yeah yeah hope he's okay but anyways....."

I know it's legit though

I think we all do, and I agree it is kinda funny, but it could come off as snarky ... I legitimately wonder what the protocol is right now wrt trade deals, because I swore I thought I read somewhere that they wanted Legwand moved before the Olympic Trade Freeze.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Drake, I got it. You hope Poile is ok. As for the delegation of responsibilities. You would think Fenton is in charge now.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
I think we all do, and I agree it is kinda funny, but it could come off as snarky ... I legitimately wonder what the protocol is right now wrt trade deals, because I swore I thought I read somewhere that they wanted Legwand moved before the Olympic Trade Freeze.

I met Poile on a flight to Chicago opening night a few years back. Everyone publically says he's a class act. My meeting him only reinforced public opinion. He was genial and approachable.

I do hope he recovers quickly. I guess I could've been a little more elaborate with my thoughts. But I am also curious how this incident will affect possible trades.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What a crazy freak injury. If poile is concussed or is on narcotics, I would think the league wouldn't allow him to make any deals. If thats the case I doubt Fenton would pull the trigger on a Legwand deal, unless it was something that was already on the table and they were just waiting for the other party to confirm

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
OK, at least it was a point. We remain relevant. Here's how the pre-olympic weekend is going to go:

Jets lose to Blues
Yotes lose to Hawks and Stars
Canucks lose to Leafs
Preds beat the Ducks

Standings for the last playoff spot at the Break:

Stars 64 pts in 58 games
Nucks 63 pts in 60 games
Preds 62 pts in 59 games
Yotes 62 pts in 58 games
Jets 61 pts in 60 games

In baseball standings terms:

Stars 27 21 10 ---
Yotes 26 22 10 1.0 game back
Nucks 27 24 9 1.5 games back
Preds 26 23 10 1.5 games back
Jets 28 27 5 2.5 games back

23 games left after the break and we'll be between 1.5 and 2.5 games back. Fighting 5 teams is tough but that's what a playoff race is supposed to look like. One slight relief is if either the Nucks or the Yotes get hot, and LA falls, either the Nucks or Yotes would take the 3rd seed in the Pacific and LA would join the crowd fighting for the 8th spot.

If we win Saturday, we'll be 3.5 games back of the Wild. I know it seems we missed that ship, we do play them on the last day of the season so if we get hot and they slip, we only have to make up 5 points in 22 games to have a regular season playoff game against them on the 82nd and last day of the season.

Keeping hope alive!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
vancouver has singlehandedly made the western conference wide open. Whats really interesting is what this has/will do to the trade market.

Three weeks ago I ould have said that the Jets, Stars and Preds were all definitely sellers.. now, who the heck knows

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
vancouver has singlehandedly made the western conference wide open. Whats really interesting is what this has/will do to the trade market.

Three weeks ago I ould have said that the Jets, Stars and Preds were all definitely sellers.. now, who the heck knows

Yep, it is definitely wide open now for the final playoff spot.

I think what we are seeing here is the fact that it was impossible for the Western teams to all continue to win at the clip they were- somebody had to drop back to the pack, and it has been Vancouver and LA.....

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Yotes lose to Hawks

479.jpg

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I still stand by my prediction of a quiet deadline. We're not deep enough in the race to make a big splash in the trade market, but we're not far enough out to be bona fide sellers.

I think we make a Jan Hlavac-type acquisition and take our chances.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I still stand by my prediction of a quiet deadline. We're not deep enough in the race to make a big splash in the trade market, but we're not far enough out to be bona fide sellers.

I think we make a Jan Hlavac-type acquisition and take our chances.

I disagree. I think we move spaling for a pick at the very least. We are sellers, although not in a fire sale way.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
There's a thread on players to protect in an expansion draft. In that you have the number of players you have to protect and I look at the Preds roster and they could protect pretty much anyone on D and goal but forward wise, I couldn't pick 7-9 forwards out of the whole group. There was Hornqvist and Smith, then.....I was stumped. Legwand was a UFA and Fisher is hinting at Retirement. I could see both Fisher and Clune but then I was stumped. Not because they were all so good but because I wanted to hit the reset button for the entire forward corp.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
It's hard for Poile to be a seller. We're 4 points out battling 4 other teams for one spot. Numerically we've got a 3.2% chance. From a box office perspective, we're 2 games out with 23 to play. Management will be selling that we're "in it". They have 11 more home games to sell. they can't afford to have a repeat of last year with meaningless games. Last year was artificially pumped up by a condensed season of partial season ticket holders. Even with the meaningless March, we survived at the Gate. No such deal this year. We have to fighting for a playoff spot down to the wire.

A sell-off of player(s) making us less competitive for the rest of this year will scream WE QUIT. Poile has consistently kept the current team as strong as possible even if it meant hurting the long term (see Suter, Hamhuis).

The key is Pekka. It's clear was can't make a run with Hutton. Bless-his-heart, he makes some big saves and is shaping into a capable #2. But he can't average the 2 goals-a-game we're going to need to go on 15-8 or 16-7 down the stretch.

Prediction: Poile will not sell, not even Leggie. He may buy something instead. We'll act like we're in it, and hang around for 15 games before we fade.

We play the Jets, Nucks, and Yotes one more time and the Stars twice. We have a 5 game home stand after the break, but it includes the Pens, Blues, and the much improved BJs.

16-7 would probably do it:
W- Lightening
W- Jets
L- Pens
W- Blues
W- BJs
W- Sens
W- Sabs
L- Hawks
L- Blues
W- Oilers
W- Nucks
W- Flames
L- Hawks
L- Avs
W- Sabs
W- Stars
W- Caps
L- Ducks
L- Sharks
W- Stars
W- Yotes
W- Hawks
W- Wild

Tall order. Figure beating the Hawks and Wild in the last two may require both not caring as much since the Hawks will probably be #1 and Wild #7, with no bene for winning. Who knows. Should the Wild stumble out of the post-olympic gate and fall back into the pack, more opportunity could spring up.

Just trying to make March mean something.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
It's hard for Poile to be a seller. We're 4 points out battling 4 other teams for one spot. Numerically we've got a 3.2% chance. From a box office perspective, we're 2 games out with 23 to play. Management will be selling that we're "in it". They have 11 more home games to sell. they can't afford to have a repeat of last year with meaningless games. Last year was artificially pumped up by a condensed season of partial season ticket holders. Even with the meaningless March, we survived at the Gate. No such deal this year. We have to fighting for a playoff spot down to the wire.

A sell-off of player(s) making us less competitive for the rest of this year will scream WE QUIT. Poile has consistently kept the current team as strong as possible even if it meant hurting the long term (see Suter, Hamhuis).

The key is Pekka. It's clear was can't make a run with Hutton. Bless-his-heart, he makes some big saves and is shaping into a capable #2. But he can't average the 2 goals-a-game we're going to need to go on 15-8 or 16-7 down the stretch.

Prediction: Poile will not sell, not even Leggie. He may buy something instead. We'll act like we're in it, and hang around for 15 games before we fade.

We play the Jets, Nucks, and Yotes one more time and the Stars twice. We have a 5 game home stand after the break, but it includes the Pens, Blues, and the much improved BJs.

16-7 would probably do it:
W- Lightening
W- Jets
L- Pens
W- Blues
W- BJs
W- Sens
W- Sabs
L- Hawks
L- Blues
W- Oilers
W- Nucks
W- Flames
L- Hawks
L- Avs
W- Sabs
W- Stars
W- Caps
L- Ducks
L- Sharks
W- Stars
W- Yotes
W- Hawks
W- Wild

Tall order. Figure beating the Hawks and Wild in the last two may require both not caring as much since the Hawks will probably be #1 and Wild #7, with no bene for winning. Who knows. Should the Wild stumble out of the post-olympic gate and fall back into the pack, more opportunity could spring up.

Just trying to make March mean something.

Im not sure selling will hurt anything. What are the forwards doing now that would be any different than letting the yound guys or fresh blood get a shot. What's the worst that can happen? The defense already carries the team and that is proven by the eye and stats.

I'm going the other direction on making the playoffs unless changes are made and Peka is back in without 2 weeks of adjustment time.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
We may be 4 points out, but the overwhelming odds are we won't make the playoffs. Do we need to sell away anyone? Absolutely not. I think for a lot of fans, this was the expected finish of the team this year, with Rinne, with Forsberg, and with Stalberg not being useless. I think our bad off-season set us back more than anything else and we have a shot at doing it over in July again. If we do stand pat at the deadline and Pekka is able to come back in some useful form, it'll be interesting to see what happens going forward, but I think the bottom line is this year is just a wash, no matter how you spin it. We don't need to "rebuild" or "blow it up" or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad