OT: General OT Thread #33: In Memory of Sergei Zholtok

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I worked with a guy a few summers ago with a funny story about Zholtok.

When the guy first came over, the Wild brass wanted to introduce him to the fans in person, so they scheduled a three hour autograph/Q&A session somewhere and invited anyone and everyone to come.

My coworker was the only one that showed up. So he and Sergei chatted for the entire three hours. Coworker explains he works at a factory and likes to go fishing a lot. Sergei says he would like to experience Minnesota fishing first hand and gives coworker his phone number.

Coworker, thinking it was a joke, said (paraphrase) "Yeah, ok. If you want to go fishing, like for real, call me." and gave Sergei his phone number. Sergei crumpled it up and put it in his pocket, so my coworker really thought it was a joke. Like, why would an NHLer want to go fishing in a crappy boat belonging to a guy who made 30k a year?

He got a call the next weekend to go fishing. Sergei brought Wes Walz or Darby Hendrickson(can't remember which one) and someone else(can't remember), and the four of them went fishing together on my coworker's boat.

Cool story.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

When the guy first came over, the Wild brass wanted to introduce him to the fans in person, so they scheduled a three hour autograph/Q&A session somewhere and invited anyone and everyone to come.

My coworker was the only one that showed up. So he and Sergei chatted for the entire three hours. Coworker explains he works at a factory and likes to go fishing a lot. Sergei says he would like to experience Minnesota fishing first hand and gives coworker his phone number.

Coworker, thinking it was a joke, said (paraphrase) "Yeah, ok. If you want to go fishing, like for real, call me."

He got a call the next weekend to go fishing. Sergei brought Wes Walz and someone else(can't remember), and the four of them went fishing together on my coworker's boat.

Cool story.

That sounds ****ing awesome.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland

Coworker, thinking it was a joke, said (paraphrase) "Yeah, ok. If you want to go fishing, like for real, call me." and gave Sergei his phone number. Sergei crumpled it up and put it in his pocket, so my coworker really thought it was a joke. Like, why would an NHLer want to go fishing in a crappy boat belonging to a guy who made 30k a year?

He got a call the next weekend to go fishing. Sergei brought Wes Walz or Darby Hendrickson(can't remember which one) and someone else(can't remember), and the four of them went fishing together on my coworker's boat.

Cool story.

Amazing story.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Oh, and yes Zholtok was actually Latvian.

I'm truly sorry if someone finds that Leningrad Cowboys clip (A Finnish band with Russian Red Army Choir) offensive or insulting. It wasn't the meaning at all.

The message of the song is still the most important to me.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Anybody got any worthwhile resolutions for the coming year?

And by worthwhile I mean no "lose weight" or "find true love" bs.

The only one I can think of right now is finishing this damn book I started in November of 2011. I burned through about 100 pages in the first two months and then slowed down. A lot. I haven't added to it in probably 3-5 months. I'm sitting at 191 pages and am roughly 2/3 through the story I want to tell. Just have to actually finish it.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Happy New Year all.

2013 was terrible for me, and it seems it wasn't good for all. Let's all look forward to a new year for us and a new year of hockey!

Remember to stay safe, don't be a dumbass.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

The only one I can think of right now is finishing this damn book I started in November of 2011. I burned through about 100 pages in the first two months and then slowed down. A lot. I haven't added to it in probably 3-5 months. I'm sitting at 191 pages and am roughly 2/3 through the story I want to tell. Just have to actually finish it.

A few years ago I made a resolution to not make any more new years resolutions.

It is so far the only resolution I have ever kept.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
A few years ago, I was at Panera Bread in Eagan with a friend of mine (who still posts here once in a blue moon I think). Since we are both originally from the former USSR countries, but have lived here for a long time, we are sitting there talking in our own weird language, a mix of English and Russian. Then this kid comes over to our table who is an employee at Panera, and starts talking to us in Russian. His name tag says Eddie, very nice kid. We ask him where he is from originally, he says Latvia, but his family moved here when he was little. He said they moved around a lot because of his dad's job, lived in Boston, Ottawa, and Montreal. We chat about nothing for a little while longer, not thinking much of it. Then my buddy calls me a few days later and says, remember that Eddie kid from Panera? I bet his last name is Zholtok. It was Sergei's oldest son Edgar, or simply Eddie for short, that we unknowingly met that day. Nice kid, and I hope everything is going well for him and his family.

Anyway, that was my Zholtok story.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I drank beers with Modano once at the Loon Café in Mpls. HE was an ass, but the chicks were ALL OVER him the whole time.

Never met any of the current Wild franchise players.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Oh, and yes Zholtok was actually Latvian.

I'm truly sorry if someone finds that Leningrad Cowboys clip (A Finnish band with Russian Red Army Choir) offensive or insulting. It wasn't the meaning at all.

The message of the song is still the most important to me.
Well, not that it's important, but as his name suggests, he was an ethnic Russian. His parents were immigrants and he grew up in the Soviet Union, so he's Latvian only as far as his citizenship goes.

Great stories, btw. Thanks for sharing.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland

1920x1080 minimum, 4k preferred.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
So, I had beer, champagne and different vodka-based drinks last night and went to a club last night. The music was crap, most of the people were barely worth the air they breathe, I never got drunk yet I overslept and I feel hung over.

Happy ****ing new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad