OT: General College Hockey Talk

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Almost 4,000 in the barn tonight for RIT's 5-2 win over Mercyhurst (3,925), even with the Amerks also playing a home game tonight. Awesome to see. Hopefully they can do it again tomorrow night and set up a ranked against ranked 2 game set with New Hampshire over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Reactions: Chainshot

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Here's the current pairwise rankings. The balance of power looks better this year with Maine, Providence, Wisconsin and North Dakota looking like playoff teams again. It seemed obvious by the midway point last year one of Minnesota or Quinnipiac was going to win it all. It seems more wide open this year.
Screenshot_20231112-082626.png

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Nice campus and arena though I preferred Yost at Michigan. We went last year when it was like -5 degrees out and the arena is in the middle of student parking so we had to park FAR - and then when we got to the rink they wouldn't let my wife bring in her purse, so we had to walk all the way back to the car then back to the arena. Don't bring a purse or bag - that's the lesson.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
The contender field looks a little more crowded this year. I think at this point last year it was pretty obvious Minnesota and Quinnipiac were on a collision course in the finals. My dudes, I give you the RabidBadger power 5 (in no particular order).

-Quinnipiac: They lost a lot of key players from the title team and stumbled out of the gate, but the train is back on the tracks. When they settle into their system they are a royal pain in the ass to play.

-BU: These jags were my pre-season pick to win it all. I haven't had reason to change my mind. They have two bona fide game breakers in Macklin Celebrini and Laine will-fight-a-6'4-Swede Hutson.

-BC: They have a enviable mix of high end talent and just realgud college players. Jacob Fowler has shown he can put the team on his back and steal games. The road to the title definitely goes through Bahstin.

-Maine: Who saw this coming? They went from middling team to looking like Shawn Walsh era Black Bears. I haven't seen any weakness to suggest they'll be a flash in the pan.

-Denver: This might seem like a over rating or a diss to Wisconsin and a few others. DU has loads of firepower headed by Jack Devine and Massimo Rizzo. I think a lot of people wrote them off after a early playoff exit last year. I think they'll be even better with David Carle coming off a gold medal coaching job at the WJC.

Honorable mention:
Wisconsin: Mike Hastings is the man! They have a very solid line up and never quit. No one will want to draw them in the tournament.

-Michigan State: Adam Nightingale has worked wonders with this team. Coach of the year in my book.

-Providence: This is a young team that has taken a nice step forward. I can see them in the Frozen Four next year.

-NoDak: This is the most North Dakota-y they've looked in years. That's amazing given they lost, literally , their entire group of D-men from last year. Dylan James needs to find a way to produce offensively.

Edit: Don't bury Minnesota or Michigan...too much talent and plenty of season left to get it right.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have the second Bean Pot Semi final on right now - Celebrini of course has both BU goals and they're up 2-0 in the third. Gunnarwolfe Fontaine scored in OT to get Northeastern back into the final earlier.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I have the second Bean Pot Semi final on right now - Celebrini of course has both BU goals and they're up 2-0 in the third. Gunnarwolfe Fontaine scored in OT to get Northeastern back into the final earlier.
He doesn't have the jaw dropping physical tools you'd want from the 1OV but damn that kid is so instinctual and has that dogged meat on the bone determination

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He doesn't have the jaw dropping physical tools you'd want from the 1OV but damn that kid is so instinctual and has that dogged meat on the bone determination

I love how much of his game is about getting himself and the puck inside. And if he doesn't have the puck, he's going to battle to get it back. There is just endless attack on both sides of the puck and that's hard to ignore.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm half expecting their "big" summer move to get Luke Tuch if he goes UFA after the end of his season. And he seems like he's got a long way to go to be an energy player - like he's on par with Brendan Warren to me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ryan Leonard doing his thing to feed the net front for Perreault and it's a one-goal game now. Gavin McCarthy probably would like that play back.

Edit -

(Sabres pick McCarthy is #2 who holds position but the pass goes through.)

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Feel bad for Gavin McCarthy getting called for holding while on the rush, leading to Northeastern tying the game 3-3. The play was a collision at the blueline. McCarthy is holding his ice, filling the middle lane, and the guy who hits him falls. Not a good call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad