Geez I couldn't find the Fire KLo thread, maybe it needs a sticky lol.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
For the People doubting Sather choosing Carson> Robataille read Gretzky's Tears or watch the King's Ransom Documentary.

There no googling needed.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
#1 The organization was fully aware of all the bonus stuff before hand and could not get or did not get insurgence against it the 2nd year from what I hear.

#2 Only a totally hack stupid organization would ever attempt such a stunt.

#3 We never got any money for any trade.

None of which disproves the rumor that the EIG wanted their money back. The fact that the trade was a done deal and Lowe came back to the table afterwards with the extra demand suggest some outside forces played a hand.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Could we actually get this thread stickied? This topic needs to be beaten to death until Lowe goes. The fans can get people fired, it's been proven with the Leafs and Ron Wilson.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Btw
Sather picked carson over luc. Should fly to ny and beat the crap out of him for that

McNall: Wayne was the greatest player in the world and they’d just come off their fourth Cup, so it wasn’t anything that was in the realm of my thinking this was possible. My biggest concern was when it happened and we really got serious about it was Wayne himself: Did he really want to come? I didn’t want to trade for the greatest player in the world and have him not happy about coming to L.A.

And in fact, he wasn’t. He wasn’t anxious to go to L.A. Wayne was basically saying, ‘I love Edmonton, I love everything there, I don’t want to move.’ Then he started hearing rumors from his dad that he was on the block. From that point, the whole process of the trade was something Wayne basically helped me with. They wanted Luc in the worst way and I wouldn’t give them Luc and Wayne agreed, no, don’t give them Luc. Jimmy Carson finally became the guy because he was a first-line center and wouldn’t be a first-line center with Wayne here. They wanted three first-round draft picks and Wayne said, ‘No, you’re going to have to split the picks up over the years.’ Wayne was part of the process.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/52963-The-Wayne-Gretzky-Trade-25-years-on-an-oral-history.html

So, IATL sounds right.

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Here was Kevin Lowe's summer of 08, AKA "the Summer He Ruined a Franchise for a Half Decade"

June 26th - brought Kelly Buchberger into the organization as a coach
June 29th - traded Matt Greene and Jarret Stoll for Lubomir Vishnovsky
July 1st - traded Raffi Torres for Gilbert Brule
July 2nd - Curtis GlenX signs with Calgary
July 1st - traded Joni Pitkanen for Eric Cole
July 4th - signed Taylor Chorney to a 3 yr contract
July 4th signed MAP and JFJ to 2 year contracts
July 11th - signed Jason Strudwick
July 16 - signed Shawn Horcoff to a 6 year deal
July 18th - Marty Reasoner signs with Atlanta
July 19 - signed Jeff Deslauries to a 2 year contract
July 31st - hired Steve Tambellini as acting GM

So basically in a 2 months span he sent 4 forwards and 2 dmen out the door (five of whom still play in the league) for a UFA who didn't want to be here a Defenceman who wasn't happy here and a small forward who was out of the league in 3 years

Massively Over paid for a 2/3rd line center, signed a bunch of draft busts to extended contracts and oh brought in a disaster of a GM and an assitant coach for what amounted to a lifetime contract with the team

I can't imagine a worst 2 month stretch for an employed NHL GM

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here was Kevin Lowe's summer of 08, AKA "the Summer He Ruined a Franchise for a Half Decade"

So basically in a 2 months span he sent 4 forwards and 2 dmen out the door (five of whom still play in the league) for a UFA who didn't want to be here a Defenceman who wasn't happy here and a small forward who was out of the league in 3 years

Massively Over paid for a 2/3rd line center, signed a bunch of draft busts to extended contracts and oh brought in a disaster of a GM and an assitant coach for what amounted to a lifetime contract with the team

This board liked most of those moves at the time though, lol. Cole + Visnovsky were supposed to be the veterans that were going to take us to the next level.

Dat big fish hunting on Hossa though, lol.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

I defend Lowe on this site. But you make an excellent point. Every single one of the transactions you mention is a loss for the Oilers. Monumentally terrible work by Lowe, and if I may say, in no way similar to how he conducted himself over say the two years previous. It looks like a different person at work. In fact when you write it out like that, its unthinkable that anyone could possibly become that stupid. It had to have been a GM carrying out an owner mandated plan.

The important date that you left out was Feb 5th 2008. The date the sale to Katz was ratified by the EIG. Until I see proof to the contrary I'm going to keep on believing that Tamby was Katz's guy, and the tank was ownership's plan to get superstars to fill the new arena.

Never under-estimate the way a billionaire can get his own way.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...dmonton-but-is-that-how-it-actually-happened/

This board liked most of those moves at the time though, lol. Cole + Visnovsky were supposed to be the veterans that were going to take us to the next level.
God I never thought Cole was going to take us anywhere. I was livid about that trade.

The only one that even remotely realistic is the Vishnovsky trade. But everyone on the Oilers had to have known in advance that he didn't want to be here.

And letting Reasoner walk when we had no centers at all? It's farcical.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still think the rebuild was the right way to go. After Heatley turned the franchise down it was obvious we were never going to get a star player to come here.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
I defend Lowe on this site. But you make an excellent point.......

And letting Reasoner walk when we had no centers at all? It's farcical.

you're wrong sir....

He made sure Horcoff was here for a looooooooooooong time.

AND Soundwave...

Yes! Even I (stupid fanboy) would rather play where the sun shines. and I can golf in January. Building this team with picks was the only way. I could have done it better though... could have started by drafting d'men and could have drawn out the rebuild all the way to McDavid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
you're wrong sir....

AND Soundwave...

Yes! Even I (stupid fanboy) would rather play where the sun shines. and I can golf in January. Building this team with picks was the only way. I could have done it better though... could have started by drafting d'men and could have drawn out the rebuild all the way to McDavid.

There haven't really been good Dmen in the draft for those years though. Larsson, Gudbranson and Fowler are pretty good but they aren't the same caliber as Jones or Ekblad. I can only imagine what Fowler would have turned into here.

Ryan Murray was drafted in 2012 so that would have been late according to your plan. Again, I wouldn't put him in the same league as Jones or Ekblad

If only Plante had turned into something.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
you're wrong sir....

AND Soundwave...

I still would have picked Hall and RNH but the picks after that should have been moved for D or other needs. As usual, they over did it. For 5 years all theyve done is stockpile prospects. Their refusal to trade anything has lead to a team of boys. Now the fans' patience has run out.

They pretty much played every card wrong.

Oct 15, 2008
How many mirrors were there?

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad