GDT: Winnipeg returns to the NHL OFFICIAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackBurton

Jun 30, 2010
So the real sales price then is not $110 million with a $60 million relocation fee, but is $130 million with a $40 million relocation fee?

They very well may have configured the numbers in terms of sale price and relocation fee to help skid around some taxes.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
If it does, oh well, the new owners probably have thought of that. Yet, they're willing to risk it. Why would you even question them?

Owners and businessmen want to make a dollar and a cent.

Putting a competitive hockey team on the ice, who knows?

I've seen nothing to suggest that this team isn't going to be a Northern Nashville, struggling to break even, sitting in the league cellar with a cap floor payroll, piling up top picks and trading them when they hit their prime. Maybe they luck into a Trotz and trap for a decade. Then the fans get the joy of paying some of the highest prices for the ugliest hockey in the league.

They want to prove it to me, go sign Brad Richards. Convince me you want to win, not just play.

Retail1LO*

So the real sales price then is not $110 million with a $60 million relocation fee, but is $130 million with a $40 million relocation fee?

Technically, no. It was 110 with a 60 relo fee, of which the NHL conceded 20M to ASG. To say 130 sale, and 40 relo, would be incorrect, because the 60M relocation figure is determined by the value of a franchise in WPG, versus one in ATL. The difference is 60M. The sale price is 110M. All they did was divert a portion of the relo fee to ASG.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
There have been numerous polls that have shown an overwhelming support (well in excess of 50%) for the Jets name. Many marketing experts say calling them the "Jets" is the biggest no brainer ever, it's built in marketing that needs absolutely no help. The fans have spoken. To think that they won't make as much money because of the existing amount of Jets gear already in circulation, is silly. Tweak it, and they'll buy it. Hell, the Sabres have changed jerseys a FEW times over the years, and people just keep buying it. Although, they did get it right going back to their classic look. The fact is, even if they do name them something else, the fans with Jets gear, are still going to wear it...and that will indeed be embarrassing, especially as they chant "Go Jets Go!"

Right! And TNSE doesn't make a dime off of that sale! It will be horrible for them to not support the Jets name. The league will be making money off the Jets name, while TNSE tries to push something else. Why compete against a name that the league owns?

The draft is in Minnesota. Winnipeg has the 7th overall pick. I full expect a lot of Winnipeggers in attendance for their first draft. I expect to hear a TON of "Go Jets Go" in the stands, with matching jerseys. I also expect that's when we'll hear what the team will be called, and when they'll unveil the new jersey. They have once chance to reboot this franchise. I hope they get it right from the door.

I can't believe they'd even consider something else.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
For the record, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus and Minnesota all had to have a season ticket drive before getting the rights to the expansion teams. Now, it has gone up, for Nashville it was 12k season tickets, not the 13, we heard today.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

I've seen nothing to suggest that this team isn't going to be a Northern Nashville, struggling to break even, sitting in the league cellar with a cap floor payroll, piling up top picks and trading them when they hit their prime. Maybe they luck into a Trotz and trap for a decade. Then the fans get the joy of paying some of the highest prices for the ugliest hockey in the league.

They want to prove it to me, go sign Brad Richards. Convince me you want to win, not just play.

Wow. Angry because of some scenario you just imagined? There is no way in hell Brad Richards will sign here. So they drop $6m+ on Richards and then what? Are they a cup contender?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm seeing tweets that 13k ticket drive is what TNSE wanted, not a requirement of NHL (apparently it's 12k limit).

I wouldn't be surprised that they wanted that extra 1000 to really show the BOG they mean business.

Retail1LO*

Not sure if Brad Richards is the Rosetta Stone to winning. I think they need more than one player. That being said, it'll be interesting to see if Winnipeg/Manitoba has to pay a premium to get players to come there. Remember too, this team came out of the gates firing last year, and just couldn't hold it together. The team has potential. It'll be interesting however to see how the new management puts their stamp on this roster. I think it would be big for them to acquire someone good in net, and build from the goal out. Always the best way to go. Defense wins championships. I take it you're not a fan of Trotz or any team that plays a sound defensive system as a means of winning? Remember, if it was easy to do, every team would do it.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This celebration sux. I'm going back to work. There is 1/10th the number of people there should be.

You can thank the way this went down the past 2 weeks for that. Talk about anti-climactic. I didn't go down. I'll show my support with a $60k season ticket commitment.

Lux Aurumque*

David Thomson is awesome. Listening to him speak is like listening to an epic speech from a movie.

Charlie Milles*

@IAmJericho
Chris Jericho
THE JETS ARE BACK BABY!!!!! "I'm from Winnipeg, you idiots!"

:laugh:

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Wow. Angry because of some scenario you just imagined? There is no way in hell Brad Richards will sign here. So they drop $6m+ on Richards and then what? Are they a cup contender?

They are asking people to spend thousands of dollars, this isn't pond hockey where you cheer your kid regardless of anything. Do they want thousands of dollars for their product? Put out a value product. Third highest prices, third last in the league is unacceptable.

I am a consumer and I do not consume poop.

Retail1LO*

This celebration sux. I'm going back to work. There is 1/10th the number of people there should be.

Patience, son. Wait for this evening. It's still a work day. Might be different if it was a Friday, or even a Thursday.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com

Are you serious? When I was there, I saw literally thousands of people supporting the team, and the numbers continued to grow minute by minute. Everything I've heard on the radio (I've been listening all morning) indicates the crowds continue to grow.

What were you expecting? Considering it's the middle of the day when most people are at work, I think the turnout was very encouraging, and I expect the party to continue into tonight and be absolutely ridiculous.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
They are asking people to spend thousands of dollars, this isn't pond hockey where you cheer your kid regardless of anything. Do they want thousands of dollars for their product? Put out a value product. Third highest prices, third last in the league is unacceptable.

So you are mad about something that hasn't happened. Feel free to not buy season tickets. You are an empowered consumer.

JackBurton

Jun 30, 2010
What about the "Winnipeg Nougats"? They'd be delicious and kind of sound like "New Jets". Hershey could sponsor them!

IkeaMonkey*

Sorry bro, but that's a REALLY weak argument. Truly. You're talking about hockey fans, and an Original Six team. You're insulting yourself, and I'm not quite sure why.

You are saying that arenas draw crowds based on the name of the team and I have a weak argument? Really?...Really? I mean, I would expect that sort of logic from a 7 year old. "Daddy, What's a Ranger? I don't wanna see that! Do they play the Devils?! Devils are cool!"

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Love this for Winnipeg ... I do, however, feel terrible for Thrashers fans. As a fan of their AHL affiliate Chicago Wolves, I followed Atlanta fairly closely. You have to keep butts in the seats, though ... it's a shame ownership just didn't give a damn. What a shame.

Here's hoping Winnipeg goes with "Jets" again ... :crossfing

Now for the most important question: Will EA have Winnipeg updated in NHL 12?? :sarcasm:

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Not sure if Brad Richards is the Rosetta Stone to winning. I think they need more than one player. That being said, it'll be interesting to see if Winnipeg/Manitoba has to pay a premium to get players to come there. Remember too, this team came out of the gates firing last year, and just couldn't hold it together. The team has potential. It'll be interesting however to see how the new management puts their stamp on this roster. I think it would be big for them to acquire someone good in net, and build from the goal out. Always the best way to go. Defense wins championships. I take it you're not a fan of Trotz or any team that plays a sound defensive system as a means of winning? Remember, if it was easy to do, every team would do it.

The team I cheer for won with defense this year. I don't want to pay money to watch my team struggle to compete with other teams that will pay the moony for skill. Nashville doesn't play defense because it wins championships, they do it because they have no other option.

I notice you say nothing about trading away your stars.

Koss

Brad Richards is re-signing with Dallas - unfortunately that makes the other 29 teams poop as per your definition

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
So you are mad about something that hasn't happened. Feel free to not buy season tickets. You are an empowered consumer.
Who's mad? I want proof they intend to compete on the same playing field as Vancouver and Detroit, not shackle themselves to a budget and have to compete in spite of it.

I watched the Jets trade away stars they couldn't afford, I watched the Penguins do it... Not again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad