U18: GDT: Sweden vs. Finland

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I have Ohgren out of my 1st round on my list. Just nothing worth wasting a 1st on.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
looks like Minkkinen benched for Kärki. I like his potential but has had brutal tournament.
Minkkinen has been absolutely terrible, I'd have benched him earlier. Not sure about the potential. To my eyes, he's always in trouble defensively, constantly makes mistakes without the puck, can't pass to teammates etc.

Leinonen overrated as always
I don't get it. Overrated since over 2 years ago. And for 2 years people talk about him as some top prospect. Even now people consider him top goalie prospect in Europe? I've always thought he's more or less terrible. Is it only because he's tall? I really don't understand. Bad stats, bad to the eye test. Much rather have a Vinni. Or Noa Vali.

And now that we're badmouthing Finnish players, might bring up Kaskimäki. I expected Kaskimäki to be a leading forward for Finland in this tournament. But he's been a complete nonfactor in every single game. Liiga games, fantastic stats at u-20s but he has been VERY invisible.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
So winner gets Germany and loser gets Canada. Ouch. At least one sensational quarter final game coming up.

It's the one bad part about Russia not being in the tournament. There is no 3 tough team per group balance now and the other group got some reward opponents so to speak. Although I must say that Czech is a lot tougher than they usually are in U18 now. They are kinda like Russia of other years in that sense. So 3-2 balance now and with Russia it would've been 3-3. Russia has no business being in the tournament though, so it's fine.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
It's the one bad part about Russia not being in the tournament. There is no 3 tough team per group balance now and the other group got some reward opponents so to speak. Although I must say that Czech is a lot tougher than they usually are in U18 now. They are kinda like Russia of other years in that sense. So 3-2 balance now and with Russia it would've been 3-3. Russia has no business being in the tournament though, so it's fine.
For sure... Belarus is also very good at U18. I think they run an NDTP type team and are a tricky opponent at U18 as well.

Czechs are a 3 headed monster with some support players. Now that everyone knows who Kulich and Sale are I expect them to get a lot of coverage and for the rest of the team to be exposed a bit. I think Russia would've had Michkov here too and he is insanely good. I also think Canada is just suffering from lack of prep and disclipline issues.. something tells me this loss today will make them better.

Reactions: Mestaruus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why is #4 on the ice when trying to tie the game after timeout?

Can only assume we intentionally lost this because the coaching staff considers Canada easy .

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Finland is favorites against Canada. Canada is missing a couple pf players, but dont count them out.

Germany should easily win over Sweden.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wtf, why did they put Laakso there at the end.
quite literally our worst defenseman, benching both Kiviharju and Kulonummi when trying to tie the game. And of course, Laakso messed up around 3 times in that 1 minute that we had after the time out.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
So Canada vs Finland and the declining Swedish program (who got bronze last year with an 8-0 victory for Bronze, just won the pool this year and had 6 first rounders last draft and probably 5 more this year) gets the Germans.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Thought Rasmus Rudslätt had a good game. I like Bystedt, but he tends to hold on to the puck a bit too long.

Overall, a pretty entertaining game. Was hoping that Kemell and Kiviharju would stand out. Still, you can see why Kiviharju is something special. Impressive mobility and hockey sense

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Finland is favorites against Canada. Canada is missing a couple pf players, but dont count them out.

Big ice helps Finland and familiar ice hockey arena for Finland as well. I think that Canada has to play on "Finland's arena". Both teams will be fired up after losses. It will be an exciting game.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Hate the Swedish gameplan of keeping the puck with in the team deep in the D zone. They are not skilled enough. Get the damn puck out of the dzone fast as hell, and keep the puck with in the team in the neutral and offensive zone.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Luckily for Finland, Canada might be the only team in the tournament that does not have a coaching advantage over Finland. But maybe I'm a bit overly hopeful. Can Canada's coach at least ice someone other than the worst defenseman on the team when trying to tie the game with an empty net?

Reactions: Mestaruus

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
What a hell was Kemell doing at the end, not the penalty but when there was 30-35 seconds on a clock. Kemell is in the slot and has a place to shoot, but he just looks and doesn't take the shot. Then makes bad pass attemp to Laakso, Sweden cuts the pass and clears the pressure.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What a hell was Kemell doing at the end, not the penalty but when there was 30-35 seconds on a clock. Kemell is in the slot and has a place to shoot, but he just looks and doesn't take the shot. Then makes bad pass attemp to Laakso, Sweden cuts the pass and clears the pressure.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Kemell absolutely terrible game today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad