Olympics: GDT: Gold medal game: ROC vs Finland

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Everything is obviously propaganda these days. :laugh:

Thank you for your insights, I was hoping to get some illumination on the very grude assessment which the Finnish article had from some source who obviously have their own motivations to be a source. The overhaul in the system is a very clear reason to pick different players.

Yea propaganda is everywhere.
Fact is though that Russian Hockey is a mess at the top with several entities trying to pull it in different directions. But that often gets sensationaized and blown out of proportion by the West because it's "evil Russia!" and everything scandalous about Russia sells like hotcakes.
But the same crap exists towards the West in Russia too.:(

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I believe, there are lot of Finns who are both interested and also appreciate fellow Russian HFBoarders' insight on Russian Hockey/KHL topics. It is very true that there can be severe objectivity issues on these matters when reading about them from "western" medias. Too.

Internal turmoil in Russian hockey seems to be serious, and apparently have been a while. Thanks guys.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I believe, there are lot of Finns who are both interested and also appreciate fellow Russian HFBoarders' insight on Russian Hockey/KHL topics. It is very true that there can be severe objectivity issues on these matters when reading about them from "western" medias. Too.

Internal turmoil in Russian hockey seems to be serious, and apparently have been a while. Thanks guys.
Isn’t the best team in Finland in the KHL? Do most of the Fins on the Olympic team play in the Russian league?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Isn’t the best team in Finland in the KHL? Do most of the Fins on the Olympic team play in the Russian league?

Yes. Yes. Jokerit Helsinki. The team that is also one of most controversial hockey teams in Finland (already before they departed to KHL from Liiga).

Point is that it's better hear about Russian hockey from Russian hockey fans, their honest assessments how they see things there. There is language barrier that prevents easy information gathering, you know. And in current geo-political situation, there are also other barriers as well impacting directly to the game of hockey (that has long history in use as political and ideological simulacra).

Reactions: Fatass

Onehitwonder

Jan 7, 2014
That wasnt even the worst part - "– Nyt Venäjän joukkueella on aikaa valmistautua MM-kisoihin ja yrittää ottaa yksi askel lisää voittaakseen mestaruuden."

translation:

" Now Team Russia have time to prepare for the WC and try to take one more step and win the World Cup"

^ And this Swiss-made Putinist is the former IIHF chairman. He was like this when worked at IIHF also. Did anything in his power to lick Putins ass.

He is just selling the world championship. He told exactly what both fans wanted to hear. He took a playbook straight from Vincent McMahon.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The celebration party looks like a fun time
Most of the team looked pretty sober when they landed, though... So it probably won't top 2011 - and especially the 2006 OG celebration. (The entire squad was so... freaking... sloshed.)

Reactions: THE JAM

Onehitwonder

Jan 7, 2014
Im actually more happy that the gold came from small ice, rather than it being olympic gold. IIHF is moving to small ice, and I was worried how the finnish system would hold there. I have allways felt finns have a disadvantage in small ice, because their game is based on puck possession. They havent had a gold in small ice before, except one u20 gold. Thankfully the system hold well most of the time. High forecheck was a problem sometimes though.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
We - Finland - were not even afraid what to come. Everybody knew it.
And how to kick it, easy.
Back to yesterday.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Im actually more happy that the gold came from small ice, rather than it being olympic gold. IIHF is moving to small ice, and I was worried how the finnish system would hold there. I have allways felt finns have a disadvantage in small ice, because their game is based on puck possession. They havent had a gold in small ice before, except one u20 gold. Thankfully the system hold well most of the time. High forecheck was a problem sometimes though.

Both U18 gold and U20 under the same coach Jussi Ahokas. Locations were USA & Canada.

member 305909

If things get very bad in the geopolitical situation which everybody talks about we may not see even the ROC-version of Russia in any international sports for some time to come.

Hopefully things don't get that bad.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
His style suits "working class" grinder type players, it would be lot tougher to get skilled players to play his system. He picks the players to his team that he knows will play his style. It would have been a lot more difficult to get the Finnish NHL players to play his style and it would be if he got a job in the league. Star players will always tune out the trap style coaches, Guy Boucher, Mike Johnston etc.
Rememeber WJC 2016? Very talented offensive players in the team, very little amount of grinders and Jukka Jalonen as the coach = gold!

Reactions: Mestaruus and Stubu

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
If things get very bad in the geopolitical situation which everybody talks about we may not see even the ROC-version of Russia in any international sports for some time to come.

Hopefully things don't get that bad.
I really hope it does not get very bad. If it does i do not want to see russians athletes anywhere. Add to that the harshest sanctions etc.

Reactions: THE JAM

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Rememeber WJC 2016? Very talented offensive players in the team, very little amount of grinders and Jukka Jalonen as the coach = gold!
NHL-level superstars are yet a very different thing from Finnish U20 juniors who have been taught Our Game throughout their whole junior years.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
NHL-level superstars are yet a very different thing from Finnish U20 juniors who have been taught Our Game throughout their whole junior years.
You ignored the point of quote..

When Jalonen has firepower in his hands, he can adjust playstyle to match invidual skill.. In 2019 and 2022 he didnt have high end scorers..

Reactions: Lempo and Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well they are still the same players, although some of them are now really NHL class superstars. I don’t see a big difference though. Those kids were superstars in their draft classes already, so it showed that Jalonen knew already then how to handle well offensive superstar caliber players.

Reactions: Mestaruus and Lempo

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You ignored the point of quote..

When Jalonen has firepower in his hands, he can adjust playstyle to match invidual skill.. In 2019 and 2022 he didnt have high end scorers..
My point was more about what @Abysmal Bylsma alluded to in his quote about non-Finn NHL superstars:

The Finnish superstars among other players have been breastfeeded Meidän Peli. They don't even know about anything else when playing in WJC.

Some non-Finn NHL first line artiste on the other hand might be a whole different case. He had not been grown into Jalonen's system and would require some selling from Jalonen's part, which wouldn't be an overnight thing. I don't see problem in getting the current top Finn NHLers to buy it though, the Vancouver Olympics were long ago.

Obviously if Jalonen insists on proving otherwise and takes the helm of some NHL team and shows that questioning wrong, I'd be ok with it I guess.

Reactions: Ippenator

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
My point was more about what @Abysmal Bylsma alluded to in his quote about non-Finn NHL superstars:

The Finnish superstars among other players have been breastfeeded Meidän Peli. They don't even know about anything else when playing in WJC.

Some non-Finn NHL first line artiste on the other hand might be a whole different case. He had not been grown into Jalonen's system and would require some selling from Jalonen's part, which wouldn't be an overnight thing. I don't see problem in getting the current top Finn NHLers to buy it though, the Vancouver Olympics were long ago.

Obviously if Jalonen insists on proving otherwise and takes the helm of some NHL team and shows that questioning wrong, I'd be ok with it I guess.
You said Jalonen game works for grinders.. We said that Jalonen can/will adjust his gameplan, when he got starplayers in roster..

Just look how differently they played in 2016 WJC, than 2022 OG

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You said Jalonen game works for grinders.. We said that Jalonen can/will adjust his gameplan, when he got starplayers in roster..

Just look how differently they played in 2016 WJC, than 2022 OG
I didn't say that. Abysmal said that.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad