GDT: December 11 | Atl-Trk | SKA-MMg | Spk-Tor | CSKA-Lev | Dnb-DM | DMn-Vit |Mdv-AkB

ficohok*

Refs wasn't bad. Few questionable (un)calls on both sides and only "real" mistake was second goal for Kazan...

But game overall was a beauty.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I must praise Murray.
That guy is a defensive monster. I can't believe that he lost his spot in NHL.
The amount of defensive work he does is immense.
I want his extension as soon as possible.

ficohok*

I must praise Murray.
That guy is a defensive monster. I can't believe that he lost his spot in NHL.
The amount of defensive work he does is immense.
I want his extension as soon as possible.

You forgot something....it starts with P(utovnica/assport) both in croatian and english :D

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
ahh i see we got more money lol did u see the wetopunkt sign on the shoulders? lol Betting firms always are good sponsors ;) lol

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
These contracts were reasonable.
Noone had the slightest idea how the club will perform in KHL so it was pointless to sign multiyear contracts.
Couple of players will probably leave for bigger money but I hope that most of the roster we be signed.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
ahh i see we got more money lol did u see the wetopunkt sign on the shoulders? lol Betting firms always are good sponsors ;) lol

http://www.medvescak.com/khl/wettpunkt-i-medvescak-od-sada-zajedno-u-khl-u-no818

I think someone said at an other theard, that betting ad´s aren´t allowed in russia. that mean we will just se the wettpunkt(austrian brand) logo at home games.

anyway I think they are making it for the croatian market. in croatia you start betting with 12 or younger

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
Tim Brent picking up speed for Metallurg. Nice to see him get going in time. Timkin still playing solid and crashing the net, too bad Kosov isnt panning out as I had hoped.

Metallurg desperately needs to start producing in the 1st period, but good to see that the 'only one line doing anything' thing is being addressed.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
i have a sneaky feeling that the croatians are mostly gona stay (hopefully)to be able to play for the NT. i dn. we will see. Although some owuld have to be here for 4 years. I would love to have Dex on the NT goal though :D

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
its wishful thinking lol, but its possible (or plausible) since he is all into the croatian heritage thing and he sure isnt going to play for the canadian NT. So its not hard to imagine it. A few players have stayed for the same reason (to bad Zanoski didnt though)

Whats this rumor i heard about Jessiman getting a Croatian passport? i know he is totally into learning the language and all... but i heard this rumor a few times.

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
It's always nice to see such large variety of competitiveness in international league.
Medvescak is the crown jewl and main proof how small budget isn't such great obstacle if you have a professional management that knows its priorites, unlike Novokuznets.

I was sceptical at first but they sure proved me wrong. It's also a joy to see small teams doing well, especially with so many "the most uneven hockey league in the world" folks around.
With good management and little luck and chemistry you can make a fairly competitive team, everywhere anytime.

My only pessimism involving Meds now is their infrastructure. Ledena Dvorana is inadequate arena for future KHL plans and I hear that modern 15k Arena is not adequate for ice surface? That is, the club can't make profit from it during the regular season?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Fresh thanks for the vote of confidence :) appreciated. I just hope we dont loose ALL our players to other teams so we dont have to rebuild the whole team again for next season lol But main thing is that French believes in the project and has clearly stated he will not leave the bench soon.

Well biggest problem with Arena is that when built hockey wasnt thought of (Med werent even in EBEL i think). They thought of moving half of the games or so there, or special ones (i dn the plan), but problem was that it needed to be reconstructed to be able to have permanent ice that could be covered fast and used for many other events ( handball games, concerts, big meetings, congresses etc). It is a relatively expensive procedure. As the club (with the help of the city) had to refurbish Dom Sportova up to KHL standards (its still better than some bigger russian arenas), the double expense was impractical atleast for this year. So they decided to do the non permanent ice with 5 games played in Arena. Now it is not known if they will do the reconstruction next year or year after that, but they will have to since Arena was one of the big selling points to enter KHL. Same as they need to make a farm team. But to pay Arena and farm team (i think its one of the prerequisites for KHL correct me if im wrong) they will need to find a few more sponsors for the player budget not to suffer.

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
Medvescak has 3 years contract with the league so I'm guessing after that contract is up, Medvescak must have real chances to play in modern 15k arena while generating profit.

I'm not aware of remodel plan for Dom Sportova but I hope that they will find the solution for Arena Zagreb that will pay off for everyone (club making profit and Arena owner having full standings throughout the year).

Glad to hear that coach French is thinking serious and is planning to help the whole project. Also I hear that the players are happy in Zagreb and are reluctant to take much higer paycheks in Russia because they are happy with lifestyle in it (similar to NA way of life).

Crossing fingers that Medvescak is here to stay.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
It's always nice to see such large variety of competitiveness in international league.
Medvescak is the crown jewl and main proof how small budget isn't such great obstacle if you have a professional management that knows its priorites, unlike Novokuznets.

you can't compare those two. if novokuznetsk was allowed to have 20 americans and canadians they would be competitive team as well. medveščak is very deep team. i mean, our 4th line center (murray) has more than 200 games of nhl experience. guys like jessiman, kane, walker and murray are not great talents but they are well schooled players that know how to play defense and kill penalties. plus we have two good goalies and some serious scoring depth in linglet, cheechoo, vesce, murley, thomas, ryan and ellison. defence isn't great mostly due to injuries, but another good d-man would be nice to have.

My only pessimism involving Meds now is their infrastructure. Ledena Dvorana is inadequate arena for future KHL plans and I hear that modern 15k Arena is not adequate for ice surface? That is, the club can't make profit from it during the regular season?

the ice surface in arena zagreb is garbage because there is no permanent ice there and they're bringing it every year all the way from italy, iirc. if they decide to put permanent ice surfice there it would be just fine.

the future of medveščak in khl would become much more secure if rosneft buy croatian oil company ina and there are some rumors that might happen..

Last edited:

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
French is here to make a name. He was a top AHL coach but was neglected by the big league while other AHL coaches were getting their chances, and some winning Stanley Cup.
French is aiming for a big contract from a big team. I have no doubts about it and I don't doubt that some bug teams are condidering him.
But anyway, this man is a big coach. Nobody here thought that players like Martinovic, Perkovic or Letang will see icetime in KHL but French didn't. :)
These players are playing much better than in EBEL, with Martinovic getting more icetime. When you have better coach and better teamates, you also play better.
Too bad we didn't have French last year. I bet we would have won EBEL....even with payed lackeys like Fussi and Dremelj in ref uniforms. :)

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Dito Fresh
well it would defenitively be in the benefit of Arena Zagreb as it is a privately run, and as it is without additional things (fitness, small sport halls shops or what ever) it needs to be full 290 days a year to be profitable. Its basically breaking even now (depending on the year n events). So i believe it will happen, Med GM seams to be very capable at getting what he wants n needs. (4 years from Cro league to KHL lol)

Im more interested in the budget though. during the contract up to (its not clearly said) 5mil euro is supplied by russian money. I dont know what will happen after.

ficohok*

French is here to make a name. He was a top AHL coach but was neglected by the big league while other AHL coaches were getting their chances, and some winning Stanley Cup.
French is aiming for a big contract from a big team. I have no doubts about it and I don't doubt that some bug teams are condidering him.
But anyway, this man is a big coach. Nobody here thought that players like Martinovic, Perkovic or Letang will see icetime in KHL but French didn't. :)
These players are playing much better than in EBEL, with Martinovic getting more icetime. When you have better coach and better teamates, you also play better.
Too bad we didn't have French last year. I bet we would have won EBEL....even with payed lackeys like Fussi and Dremelj in ref uniforms. :)

I really hope that French and managment are already in talks about new contract.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Cavetroll French made an interview in todays newspapers and they asked him if a ritch club gave him a possible big contract what would he say and he said : its not time yet. So i belive he is here to stay for next few years.

P.S. Jessiman is turning out to be a beast in scoring beauty goals since the middle of the season with very good SOG%. dont forget him Billy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00