GDT-Bruins vs Islanders, Webster Bank Arena, 7:30 PM, ITV

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He'll get claimed by a team who can protect him and let him develop. I am not saying that he's gonna be a guy we worry about losing five years from now, but I don't think he'll clear waivers. I think that would be a loss because I think D-men, especially puck moving D-men, take time to develop. Will he ever develop? I have no idea.
He's been sooo bad I doubt anyone would claim him. He's not an NHL D-man, not even close!

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
He's been sooo bad I doubt anyone would claim him. He's not an NHL D-man, not even close!

Agreed! I am not saying he is ready. I am just saying that he is probably too good for the AHL...so I think he'll get claimed. We'll know soon because I suspect, as I believe you do, that he'll get waived. I HOPE he clears.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Agreed! I am not saying he is ready. I am just saying that he is probably too good for the AHL...so I think he'll get claimed. We'll know soon because I suspect, as I believe you do, that he'll get waived. I HOPE he clears.
He may get an extended stay if we have to put too many D on IR to start the season. That's the only thing that can save him right now but Pullock, Mayfield and Churchman are all better than him.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Donovan is awful, reminds me of Bruno Gervais. It was obvious last season, yes, prospects need time to develop....but prospects with potential don't look THAT bad.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Donovan is awful, reminds me of Bruno Gervais. It was obvious last season, yes, prospects need time to develop....but prospects with potential don't look THAT bad.

That's one projection, and you may be right. But, the guy was more productive as an offensive D-man at the AHL level than Gervais...even if Gervais scored more for the Islanders in his best season. Even then, it wasn't much more and it was in more games...but I see why you are making the comparison. Still, I see more in Donovan than Gervais. We'll see. Even Gervais has been in the league for a number of years after we waived him. I HOPE we miss Donovan as much as Gervais...which means not at all. I just don't think we know what Donovan can become after one good season in the AHL and one season in the AHL/NHL (last season) and watching a few minutes in preseason this year. I am not saying he is the reason why we trade Pulock! I am saying that to stress I am not a huge Donovan fan...I just think he still has some potential that I'd hate to lose for nothing.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just got home from the game. The best way to sum this game up was that we iced a few NHL caliber players tonight, so anyone seeing this as an accurate respresentation as the team we are going to ice opening night is mistaken.

Tavares & Okposo: Looked like their old selves tonight. They were buzzing all night; Okposo has a nice toe drag goal, and JT was just flat out outmuscling guys around the puck.

Nelson & Strome: Both looked like NHLers tonight. Strome was active all night with creating scoring chances and maintaining possession in the offensive zone. Nelsom is a PUCK HOUND; he belongs on the top line from what I've saw tonight.

Sundstrom & Collberg: I thought these two struggled a bit tonight but showed flashes of potential. Sundstrom was at his best when breaking the puck out of the defensive zone and Collberg was surprisingly active along the boards.

Dal Colle & Ho-Sang: Ho-Sang was the more impressive of the two tonight but that's sort of expected with that way he played compared to Dal Colle. Ho-Sang's skating ability and cuts are already NHL ready as are his hands, but the rest of his game needs maturing. I don't see why he can't become a solid NHL player. Dal Colle needs to add weight and work on his skating. The offensive instincts are there as he made a nice dish to Nelson who got robbed by Subban, but I felt like he couldn't get himself in position to play his game all night.

Persson & Moullierat: AHL players, although I was impressed with Moullierat for a guy who has bounced around the ECHL and AHL quite a bit.

Gallant & Johnston: Gallant was as advertised, he destroyed Caron. As for Johnston, he fought AHL journeyman Chris Breen and left the ice bleeding and went to the locker room.

Onto the defense...

Ness & Pedan: Have no business suiting up in an NHL game

Donovan & Czuczman: They just aren't ready at all. Turnovers after turnover and terrible pinches. They were getting so bad I wanted to look away.

Brennan & Mayfield: Our two best defenseman tonight which isn't saying much. With that said, Brennan will be a bottom pairing guy for us and will be on the top PP, he shoots BOMBS and his wrist shot is sneaky. Mayfield is big, right handed, and physical. He's going to start in the AHL but he could be a solid partner for Hickey on the bottom pair should such sitaution arise. His outlet passes and ability to keep the play alive in the offensive zone stood out as I didn't think he had that in him.

Johnson: Was hung out to dry but got a lot of work and made some nice saves. Definitely an upgrade.

Any other questions let me know!

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

you know, for all that he's become a stand-in here for mediocrity, Gervais has enjoyed a decade+ long career as an NHL regular after no one saw him s a high end prospect. it's not his fault that he's a #6 D-Man on every other team but the Isles for most of his tenure here.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Just got home from the game. The best way to sum this game up was that we iced a few NHL caliber players tonight, so anyone seeing this as an accurate respresentation as the team we are going to ice opening night is mistaken.

Tavares & Okposo: Looked like their old selves tonight. They were buzzing all night; Okposo has a nice toe drag goal, and JT was just flat out outmuscling guys around the puck.

Nelson & Strome: Both looked like NHLers tonight. Strome was active all night with creating scoring chances and maintaining possession in the offensive zone. Nelsom is a PUCK HOUND; he belongs on the top line from what I've saw tonight.

Sundstrom & Collberg: I thought these two struggled a bit tonight but showed flashes of potential. Sundstrom was at his best when breaking the puck out of the defensive zone and Collberg was surprisingly active along the boards.

Dal Colle & Ho-Sang: Ho-Sang was the more impressive of the two tonight but that's sort of expected with that way he played compared to Dal Colle. Ho-Sang's skating ability and cuts are already NHL ready as are his hands, but the rest of his game needs maturing. I don't see why he can't become a solid NHL player. Dal Colle needs to add weight and work on his skating. The offensive instincts are there as he made a nice dish to Nelson who got robbed by Subban, but I felt like he couldn't get himself in position to play his game all night.

Persson & Moullierat: AHL players, although I was impressed with Moullierat for a guy who has bounced around the ECHL and AHL quite a bit.

Gallant & Johnston: Gallant was as advertised, he destroyed Caron. As for Johnston, he fought AHL journeyman Chris Breen and left the ice bleeding and went to the locker room.

Onto the defense...

Ness & Pedan: Have no business suiting up in an NHL game

Donovan & Czuczman: They just aren't ready at all. Turnovers after turnover and terrible pinches. They were getting so bad I wanted to look away.

Brennan & Mayfield: Our two best defenseman tonight which isn't saying much. With that said, Brennan will be a bottom pairing guy for us and will be on the top PP, he shoots BOMBS and his wrist shot is sneaky. Mayfield is big, right handed, and physical. He's going to start in the AHL but he could be a solid partner for Hickey on the bottom pair should such sitaution arise. His outlet passes and ability to keep the play alive in the offensive zone stood out as I didn't think he had that in him.

Johnson: Was hung out to dry but got a lot of work and made some nice saves. Definitely an upgrade.

Any other questions let me know!

Thanks for the summary/player assessments. I missed the game.:(

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Watch Donovan get waived and flourish somewhere else. Lol

Donovan wouldn't be claimed. The waiver wire has been full of Matt Donovans, and practically no player, let alone a disappointing d-man has been claimed. In fact, I think there have only been one or two claims put in since training camp began.

giddy up*

you know, for all that he's become a stand-in here for mediocrity, Gervais has enjoyed a decade+ long career as an NHL regular after no one saw him s a high end prospect. it's not his fault that he's a #6 D-Man on every other team but the Isles for most of his tenure here.

Thanks for stopping by Bruno. You're still terrible.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Strome is out muclesd on one play and boom he'll be sent down? Love the overreaction

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Your boy finally got some action.....he was in a fight and got completely outclassed...crushed even Apollo Creed style. Had to go to the lockerroom after leaving his blood on the ice. The announcers spent the next five minutes making fun of him. He'll be back to the hole he crawled out from in no time and you will have your drinking buddy back :nod:

Jeez, the kid was wearing the Islanders sweater. Back off a bit, he wasn't the enemy.
The best lose fights, Probert, Gillies all of them.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Watch Donovan get waived and flourish somewhere else. Lol
I really don't think they have to worry about him getting claimed. Both Bruins games saw them dumping the puck in his corner and forechecking him hard and he turns the puck over. The book is out on Donovan. Every team will do the same thing, forecheck him hard and he makes poor decisions.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Strome is out muclesd on one play and boom he'll be sent down? Love the overreaction

Yeah I know. It is like no one saw his game for the last month and a half last season or just blocked it out. I have no problem with making him earn what he gets, that is the general idea with preseason, but we know what he can do.

Meanwhile Bailey gets years to find his game, gets the red carpet to the first line by many just to find his game... lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad