GDT: Amerks @ Abbotsford

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Nearly 50 shots against. Defense is just sad. Luckily Leggio showed up.

You watch and follow the Amerks more than I do. I watch on tv or PC maybe 5 games a season, and listen to another 5 or 6. I have to ask this because I want to know where your heads at ....

Is the defense ever good? Is every single game played by the Amerks this season bad defensively?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
You watch and follow the Amerks more than I do. I watch on tv or PC maybe 5 games a season, and listen to another 5 or 6. I have to ask this because I want to know where your heads at ....

Is the defense ever good? Is every single game played by the Amerks this season bad defensively?

No...
Yes...

It's been criminally bad this season. Regression across the board. Glad we got rid of McKee he wouldn't have helped at all.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

Not every game. They had a shut out recently. But most games the defense is a total liability.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
McNabb is FINALLY a healthy scratch. Can't believe it took this long.
Well, it's about time, right?
I can't speak for the last couple of games as they're still in my queue, but no, they haven't been any good. The defense has a good game maybe once every seven or so games; the rest of the time they're either so-so or complete garbage with the amount of chances and turnovers given up.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

David Leggio stops 48 shots to help Rochester defeat Abbotsford 5-2:
"He definitely held us in the game, early on," said Rochester's Cody Hodgson. "He was pretty incredible with some of those saves. I wish we could have done more for him so we could have got the shutout. But he was awesome."

He made 16 saves in each period, allowing just two goals in the third with the home team pressing hard, including an extended two-man advantage.

"It was a good amount of shots, but sometimes that puts you in the groove as a goaltender," said Leggio. "We did what we needed to do after a long day of travel to get a big win on the road."
Kevin Porter, Brian Flynn, Zemgus Girgensons, Nick Crawford and Mark Mancari scored for Rochester (17-12-3), while Leggio picked up an assist on Girgensons' goal.
After a brief pushback from Abbotsford, the visitors came back to make it 2-0. Girgensons drove hard to the net and just before being knocked into the netminder by defenceman Joe Callahan he lifted the puck over Brust's glove at 7:02.

The teams square off again tonight at 10:00PM ET; recycle this thread for it and I'll be back at it for the next game but hopefully Sabres games return soon enough.

hockeylover1

Dec 10, 2010
10 shots after 2 periods great job by the forwards. No forecheck happening,no back checking. Heat coming out of their zone right through neutral zone without any forward challenging them.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No...
Yes...

It's been criminally bad this season. Regression across the board. Glad we got rid of McKee he wouldn't have helped at all.

Not every game. They had a shut out recently. But most games the defense is a total liability.

Well, it's about time, right?I can't speak for the last couple of games as they're still in my queue, but no, they haven't been any good. The defense has a good game maybe once every seven or so games; the rest of the time they're either so-so or complete garbage with the amount of chances and turnovers given up.

Hmmmm, which one of these doesn't belong. :sarcasm:

From the limited viewing I have seen, they actually do look good at times. Rare times but it does actually happen. To have the POV that the defense never ever look good is quite dramatic and frankly wrong. Again, the limited viewing they flat out suck most nights, but not every single game, every single period, every single shift.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

From the limited viewing I have seen, they actually do look good at times. Rare times but it does actually happen. To have the POV that the defense never ever look good is quite dramatic and frankly wrong. Again, the limited viewing they flat out suck most nights, but not every single game, every single period, every single shift.

1 out of 6 games the D shows up. No it's fine they're pretty good. Nice work guys. /backpat Glad things have progressed so much that our most NHL ready prospect was benched. But man that 1 game is a real gem.

The Bills D was really good on 1 of every 6 plays, probably shoulda kept Wannstedt. When you give up 40 shots on regular basis it doesn't really matter if you played 5 shifts without giving up a chance does it?

Sporadic and inconsistent play is about as good as never showing up. Thank Leggio he's the only thing holding that back end together most nights.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Street finally finds the back of the net in Heat's 3-1 win over Americans:
David Leggio stopped 28 shots for the Americans.

Rochester (17-13-3) struck first at the 6:47 mark of the first. After Taylor turned away shots by Kevin Sundher and T.J. Brennan, Tarnasky batted the rebound out of the air and through the legs of the Heat goalie for his sixth of the season.

Rochester had a four-minute power play, compliments of Byron's double minor, but couldn't muster many opportunities.

Street tied the game with 30.4 seconds to go in the first. He took that nifty drop pass from Brodie and ripped a hard wrist shot over the blocker of Leggio.
Abbotsford took advantage of Luke Adam's misfortune at 11:12 while the Rochester forward was without his stick. The Heat cycled the puck around the zone like a power play and after Callahan's initial point shot and Street's rebound attempt were stopped, Ruegsegger raced in to bury the loose puck for just his second goal of the season.
Street doubled the lead at 3:23 of the third, taking a pass from Byron at the hash marks and quickly sliding the puck under Leggio's pad.

Taylor wasn't tested often but when called upon he did his part in the win. After a failed Heat power play, Brennan came down on a two-on-one and unleashed a wicked wrist shot that Taylor stretched to snag from the air. With less than two minutes he made a big save off Brian Flynn's one-timer in front, keeping his club up by two.

With 5:50 to go Sven Baertschi was hooked on a breakaway by Mark Pysyk and was awarded a penalty shot but failed to convert the opportunity, keeping Rochester's hopes alive.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
probably the worst effort of the season last night. For the Sabres sake, I hope Hodgson and Foligno were taking it easy out there, their line was terrible. Honestly can't name one guy who played well- just a terrible effort.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

They're pros, so even the worst defense is going to have a good game here or there. Last place teams win games. But overwhelmingly, they're brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad