GDT: GDT #76 New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | April 4th | 7:00 PM | F/4-2 W

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
We did it Patrick, we saved the city.

Would be in a playoff spot for real had they held on against Philly.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
What are they doing? It’s rebuild time.

Roy is playing Engvall in the last couple minutes of games.

Sorokin got a huge helper by the post, otherwise, tie game.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
That's two consecutive strong performances. I'm a believer...again.

I like the insertion of Holmstrom; he adds lanky speed and skill, which is in short supply.

I also like the way Barzal and Horvat have been playing, they read off/complement each other so well.

Love CC's game, but not on the top PP unit. I suppose he can play a role on the top line, but take him off the PP.

I like Reilly's game, bring him back as a 6th D man.

Overall great game, top to bottom. They've played Columbus well this year. My biggest concern down the stretch here are the matchups against good teams. That makes me a non-believer.

• Haha
Reactions: Glorydays22

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Tomorrow -

Washington plays Carolina
Flyers play Sabres
Wings play Rangers

If all 3 teams get beat in regulation - we are looking at
  • 3rd Place - Flyers 83 with 5 Games left
  • 2nd WC - Isles 83 with 6 games left
  • Wings 82 with 6 games
  • Caps 82 with 6 games
  • Pens 81 with 6 games

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Solid win tonight. Yeah, it was against a bottom team with a lot of guys out due to illness and injury, but you've still got to win those games and they looked pretty solid throughout. Have to hope tomorrow's games fall in the Isles favour and they bring it on Saturday

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Islanders move into playoff spot

Current mood

IMG_0442.png

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Barzal had a strong 60 minute game when it mattered…for once. Again, though, playing against a crap team.

Sorokin, he’s been letting in some Halak/Salo brain scratching goals. Roy should still be riding Varly (but he’ll find out whether Sorokin got his head back in the game if he rides him the rest of the way for good or bad).

LMAO at the Horvat was a bad trade people.

Gotta give credit to CLB fans to continue to show up for this terribly run franchise. They got rid of Kookalooka finally, but JD and Price are their management issues and until Price goes, this team ain’t going anywhere. Too bad for those fans. And nice fluff article in NHL.com the other day on Kookalooka wanting to be a GM again. Yeah, Snow had one of those…

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Barzal had a strong 60 minute game when it mattered…for once. Again, though, playing against a crap team.

Sorokin, he’s been letting in some Halak/Salo brain scratching goals. Roy should still be riding Varly (but he’ll find out whether Sorokin got his head back in the game if he rides him the rest of the way for good or bad).

LMAO at the Horvat was a bad trade people.

Gotta give credit to CLB fans to continue to show up for this terribly run franchise. They got rid of Kookalooka finally, but JD and Price are their management issues and until Price goes, this team ain’t going anywhere. Too bad for those fans. And nice fluff article in NHL.com the other day on Kookalooka wanting to be a GM again. Yeah, Snow had one of those…
Anyone calling that second goal soft needs to have their head examined. Sorokin left absolutely 0 space... if the shot had not hit Sorokin's chin it could have gone into the neutral zone. The puck literally moved his head which created the space for it to go in. You try taking a puck to the chin and staying perfectly still. Awesome goal by Marchenko.

Good on Roy putting Sorokin against the easier teams though. Hard to complain about allowing 4 goals over 2 games that you won. Next two will be tough and I'm not sure there's really a right answer of who to play for which game.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
At the end of the day, it's a 2-point regulation win.

Gotta keep this thing going, no matter how unimpressive it can get.

In essence, when you're playing a bottom-feeding Columbus that is without Gaudreau, Jenner, and Laine (for that matter), and you've got an ECHL goalie in goal, it shouldn't be that hard.

The team just does not create enough goalmouth pressure. Like, ever.

But onto the next challenge.

Our win and the DC loss (both regulation) make this a very good night, even if Pittsburgh is sniffing around now too.

Gonna be that way for the remainder of the month, so the boys just gotta keep finding ways to win.

Tomorrow -

Washington plays Carolina
Flyers play Sabres
Wings play Rangers

If all 3 teams get beat in regulation - we are looking at
  • 3rd Place - Flyers 83 with 5 Games left
  • 2nd WC - Isles 83 with 6 games left
  • Wings 82 with 6 games
  • Caps 82 with 6 games
  • Pens 81 with 6 games

Yep, that's what I call a very big "IF"

Reactions: Potvottier

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
That's two consecutive strong performances. I'm a believer...again.

I like the insertion of Holmstrom; he adds lanky speed and skill, which is in short supply.

I also like the way Barzal and Horvat have been playing, they read off/complement each other so well.

Love CC's game, but not on the top PP unit. I suppose he can play a role on the top line, but take him off the PP.

I like Reilly's game, bring him back as a 6th D man.

Overall great game, top to bottom. They've played Columbus well this year. My biggest concern down the stretch here are the matchups against good teams. That makes me a non-believer.
He is actually quite stout. Wouldn't surprise me if he was carrying 220 lbs. And this is what drives me crazy. you get his attention by managing his minutes. Not playing a zero like Fasching in his place.

Columbus is an interesting team. When healthy, they put a few guys out there that can score the puck. Absolutely tragic for Boone Jenner and family this week. Isles played some desperate hockey but Sorokin still shaky. Put Gaudreau, Chinakov and Jenner in that line up and could have been a problem even with the puck possession and shot disparity.

Hopefully Dobson builds off this game. McLean continues to impress. Barzy playing best 2-way hockey of his career.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone calling that second goal soft needs to have their head examined. Sorokin left absolutely 0 space... if the shot had not hit Sorokin's chin it could have gone into the neutral zone. The puck literally moved his head which created the space for it to go in. You try taking a puck to the chin and staying perfectly still. Awesome goal by Marchenko.

Good on Roy putting Sorokin against the easier teams though. Hard to complain about allowing 4 goals over 2 games that you won. Next two will be tough and I'm not sure there's really a right answer of who to play for which game.

The shot didn't move his head, Sorokin moved it because he flinched or was caught off guard when it hit him. It's not like he took a rocket of a blast off the mask and didn't see the puck coming, he's staring right at the player and that type of play is fairly commonplace these days in the NHL and he needs to do a better job recognizing that. If he was more aware he could've used his head to make the save instead of it being a backboard. He also doesn't have to be in the butterfly already with where the puck was.

It's a great goal and it's not the worst play by Sorokin because I know goalies play the percentages with how they position themselves in those scenarios but that just needs to be stopped, especially in these big games. Dobson getting schooled was more frustrating for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad