GDT: GDT #68 New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes | March 19th | 7:30 PM | F/4-1 L

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Lee's leadership is precisely what I'm questioning. I havent heard anything, ever, from a player saying how Lee is stepping up as a Captain, rallying the troops, talking us up in the locker room,,, etc.. Anything.

This the point where you need your Captain to show why hes a Captain.
I've only heard very positive things about his leadership. I live a couple of miles from Edina, his hometown. Being involved in the hockey community here I've come across plenty of people who know him or have played with him and the first thing most of them rave about is what a great leader he is.

And really, you haven't heard his teammates praise his leadership in pressers and stuff? Hmm I have.

In any case, we're not in the locker room to know what he is or isn't doing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This looked like a typical, hopeless outing against one of the franchises that most owns us.

The power outage offensively is downright depressing.

We can't even say we play against a majority of "#1 goalies" in this league. Any goalie in this league is just fine against us as long as the overall team defense is solid. Anyone out there.

After Anaheim, I kept thinking this is the year Barzal finally eclipses his rookie season in points. Shoulda known better.

Welp, we know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

And now this team is at 0-5-1 whilst in what is basically a 4-team playoff race for one spot....

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I've only heard very positive things about his leadership. I live a couple of miles from Edina, his hometown. Being involved in the hockey community here I've come across plenty of people who know him or have played with him and the first thing most of them rave about is what a great leader he is.

And really, you haven't heard his teammates praise his leadership in pressers and stuff? Hmm I have.

In any case, we're not in the locker room to know what he is or isn't doing.

For the record, post game comments and interviews are all canned, repeated garbage. I guess Im just looking for a report of something which makes me think the Captain GAF.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't think they've looked worse than they have looked for the last few games (the ones I've seen anyway). Even when they were blowing all those leads late, they at least played well for 50-55 minutes before shitting the bed at the end. They had nothing last night and have had nothing since Buffalo. They look like a spent force at this point. There's technically still enough games left to revitalize and go on a run, and the equally bad play of the teams they're competing with for the last slot certainly helps, but even if that happens I don't know if they'll be able to sustain it when the playoffs begin.

I though they opened really strong yesterday and couldn't cash in early (where have we seen that before?) and then the wheels fell off after the shitty goal let in by Sorokin.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
For the record, post game comments and interviews are all canned, repeated garbage. I guess Im just looking for a report of something which makes me think the Captain GAF.
I agree that the post game interviews are meaningless. But where/how do you want to see these reports from teammates praising him as a leader?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He's having all of the players over for a slumber party on Friday night and is going to invite Bailey over to give them a motivational speech. At least that's what I heard from the guy who works at the Dippin' Dots stand.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I though they opened really strong yesterday and couldn't cash in early (where have we seen that before?) and then the wheels fell off after the shitty goal let in by Sorokin.

Yeah, it was like a 3 minute stretch right after puck drop. But then, they hit a wall.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Why? This isn't going to be like the Sharks scenario (not yet anyway). They may be a middling team but there are too many good, young pieces to be one of the worst teams in the league...
Being a middling team in the NHL is a worse scenario than being at the bottom of the standings.

We have too much money committed to bad or middling players for too long, and we no longer have the draft or prospect capital to make meaningful improvements.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Lambert takes a lot of heat here but he somehow took this team to the playoffs last year with only half a year from Barzal, Horvat and Pelech. I don't think he's a great (or even good ) coach, but given what we've seen this year, it seems clear that this mess isn't his fault. Let's not forget the team missed the playoffs in Trotz last year also.

Roy looks like a fine coach, but these players don't appear willing and/or able to bring the type of effort to be anything more than a fringe bubble team. It's sad to think that this roster is locked into place long term and the team has little in the way of top prospects or real cap room going forward. 7 years for Mayfield and Engvall? Really? How the hell are Martin and Clutterbuck still playing major minutes for this team? There's seriously no one better in the organization?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lambert takes a lot of heat here but he somehow took this team to the playoffs last year with only half a year from Barzal, Horvat and Pelech. I don't think he's a great (or even good ) coach, but given what we've seen this year, it seems clear that this mess isn't his fault. Let's not forget the team missed the playoffs in Trotz last year also.

Roy looks like a fine coach, but these players don't appear willing and/or able to bring the type of effort to be anything more than a fringe bubble team. It's sad to think that this roster is locked into place long term and the team has little in the way of top prospects or real cap room going forward. 7 years for Mayfield and Engvall? Really? How the hell are Martin and Clutterbuck still playing major minutes for this team? There's seriously no one better in the organization?

Lambert did make the playoffs and that was commendable. It was a new system and there were injuries that allowed me to give him more time as a coach to clean up the things I didn't like. The team was worse this year structurally for me and that's why he had to go. I don't really care so much about the record as much as how they're playing. He was able to get the team to take leads but couldn't figure out how to hold them. The structure in the defensive zone was comical.

Roy hopped in mid-season and is asking players to adjust the way they've been playing again, so there will be hiccups. I like what I've seen from a structure standpoint way more with Roy than I ever did with Lambert, despite the results. I don't know if Roy will be a good coach and will work out long term because there's more to coaching than just instilling a good system. I'd give him more time before judging him too harshly, especially when he's making clear statements about what is or isn't happening that he's seeing.

The roster is absolutely flawed and that's not Lambert or Roy's fault, that's squarely on Lamoriello. The Horvat deal has been great, as has the Romanov deal, but he hasn't done enough so far get this roster to a place where they've made noticeable strides. He needs to do more.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Being a middling team in the NHL is a worse scenario than being at the bottom of the standings.

We have too much money committed to bad or middling players for too long, and we no longer have the draft or prospect capital to make meaningful improvements.
We are doomed.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I don't think that Lee's leadership is in question. Nor is "effort." Of course they're trying. Obviously it's not good enough.

It's a low point in the season but they've been there before and recovered...

Pretty sure you do. You wouldn't want to watch the playoff games if they make it? Sure, sure...
Would I watch if the team somehow dragged itself into the 8th spot over the next few weeks? Sure.

Do I have much confidence that the team isn't going to be swept or at best be taken out in five games? No, which is why I don't really care that much either way.

This has the same level of "excitement" to me as the mid-2000s teams where you knew that they were going nowhere.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The Canes have the horses and system to bottle up the Isles, mostly Barzal. This team knows the Isles the best and clamps down better than any other team. The Isles looked a bit slower and had no space.
Give me a break. Barzal went +4 vs the Ducks, the friggin Ducks. He’s been -8 since that game, when the team needs a player to step up, he’s not. That’s 100% on him. He’s got something like 15 shots in 11 games.

Enough with the excuses that is every other team, linemates, strategy, winger, whatever.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Give me a break. Barzal went +4 vs the Ducks, the friggin Ducks. He’s been -8 since that game, when the team needs a player to step up, he’s not. That’s 100% on him. He’s got something like 15 shots in 11 games.

Enough with the excuses that is every other team, linemates, strategy, winger, whatever.
Oh please. I agree and not making an excuse. Coach and player need to overcome of course. Stall and Brind'amour's strategy needs a response. Just saying not surprised of the outcome yesterday. The Canes are not the Ducks.

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Oh please. I agree and not making an excuse. Coach and player need to overcome of course. Stall and Brind'amour's strategy needs a response. Just saying not surprised of the outcome yesterday. The Canes are not the Ducks.
I’m gonna LMAO if Barzal is a PPG player and the Isles miss the playoffs. He’ll be 2/2 in that department. (Not at you, just generally).

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Anywhere -- players themselves (multiple). reporters, Brendan, Roy, dippin dots guy.....

Yall know im really Stan Fischler, right?

Stan.jpg

Reactions: Surfrat and Lek

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
I’m gonna LMAO if Barzal is a PPG player and the Isles miss the playoffs. He’ll be 2/2 in that department. (Not at you, just generally).
No worries at all. I hope he gets there too. He looks fried and it hasn't helped with lthe ine changes. Dobson as well looks like he is fatigued. I know defensively has been a concern and I think he was on the ice for at least 3 goals against last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad