GDT: GDT #67 New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | March 17th | 1:00 PM | F/5-2 L

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I understand the defense is bad but he needs to be better. Why is he on the goal line when this shot is released? The puck was in the corner with a defenseman doing a nice job taking away any ability to shoot from there and he's just sitting on the goal line.

He's making some save and really whiffing on others. Very inconsistent, just like the team.

View attachment 837495
Wide open in the slot, top corner shot, any other goalie in the league could have stopped that.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
No rebuild...but definitely need to make sure there are at least 5 new bodies on this roster come next season start.
what bodies are those? there is no way to make this team better, this team HAD to rebuild this year or last year and Lou f***ed those plans and now the Islanders are in hell, just awful contracts, no prospect pool, a team that is doomed to be a 10-12 seed for the next 3-4 years until they bottom out

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
Agree that the Isles D is very weak, but the point is that Sorokin, starting next year, is paid as one of the elite goaltenders in this league and he's not playing like it. Any replacement goalie could get lit up behind this Islanders team, so why pay an elite one that much to get lit up. The point of paying a goalie huge dollars (if there is even a rationale for it any more in the NHL) is to steal games. He isnt

Reactions: Satan'sIsland81

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I understand the defense is bad but he needs to be better. Why is he on the goal line when this shot is released? The puck was in the corner with a defenseman doing a nice job taking away any ability to shoot from there and he's just sitting on the goal line.

He's making some save and really whiffing on others. Very inconsistent, just like the team.

View attachment 837495
He’s sitting back cause he doesn’t trust what’s happening in front of him I think. The roster needs changes but he’s not one of them. This just isn’t working anymore clearly.

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
the time to star the re-build was last year with some of the Free Agents and over the hill guys the Isles had, or at the very least this year and salvage what you can, Lou absolutely f***ed all those plans since he couldn't care less about this team in 5 years so the 1% chance this team has of winning a cup Lou was going to go with.
It was before last year.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Agree that the Isles D is very weak, but the point is that Sorokin, starting next year, is paid as one of the elite goaltenders in this league and he's not playing like it. Any replacement goalie could get lit up behind this Islanders team, so why pay an elite one that much to get lit up. The point of paying a goalie huge dollars (if there is even a rationale for it any more in the NHL) is to steal games. He isnt
If you believe that, they should trade him. I think trading him would be a catastrophe.
We’ll have to disagree on that. When you have a weak D, that means excess zone time, lots of puck movement, goalie fighting to find good position, that starts to add up over the season.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
I mean I agree Sorokin hasn't looked his best,

Varly has looked better some games...Is it time to ride Varly a little see what he can do?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I guess you missed the first half of the season when Quick was carrying the Rags around.
Quick has been better than Sorokin this year too. Shesterkin has turned it on in crunch time this season. Sorokin continues to be average or worse.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
If you believe that, they should trade him. I think trading him would be a catastrophe.
We’ll have to disagree on that.
I respect that - but (honest question), when is the next year you think the Islanders will challenge? Or make the playoffs?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I mean I agree Sorokin hasn't looked his best,

Varly has looked better some games...Is it time to ride Varly a little see what he can do?
Maybe if someone asks for a piggy-back ride from Martin and Engvall they’ll throw their backs out and go on IR for the rest of the season

That would certainly help

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
the problem is that normally you have a team at least 2nd tier, a playoff contender. it just makes no sense to have an elite goalie within a lottery team where every elite goalie is just wasted meat

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
We’re not making the playoffs this year. Truth be told we aren’t making the playoffs till Lee and Pageau are off the team. Next year Lee and Pageau will be the most expensive 4th line ever. They are no longer top 9 forwards. Hopefully we will be abled to trade Pageau next season and it will hopefully only cost us a 2025 2nd rounder.

They both can be bought out, which should make trading them a bit easier at least.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
This is what your team looks like with AHO playing Regular Bottom 4 D Mins over an 82 game season.
Clown Show at best.

Chockey22

Jul 12, 2022
This is what your team looks like with AHO playing Regular Bottom 4 D Mins over an 82 game season.
Clown Show at best.
If only it was just Aho - he's a problem for sure, but the problems run much deeper than that. If your #6 D is the biggest problem, you'll be ok as a team.

Reactions: attilatheislander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad