GDT: GDT #6 Ottawa Senators vs New York Islanders | October 26th | 7:30 PM | F/3-2 W

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We just beat a team with lots of young talent and can skate and it’s 95% whining in here :laugh:
Enjoy the f***ing win for crying out loud
This is pro sports and an 82 game schedule.
With our goaltending we’re going to win a chunk of ugly games.
Which happened a lot in the BT years. Plenty of short memories here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sorokin not even 3rd star, cmon without him they had no business to even sniff on a w
He wasn't first star? Wow.

Good game, deserved to win great start! Took advantage of an incredibly weak mentally team.

As a sens fan we're hopeful this means a new GM who hires a new Coach. Good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

That second period cannot happen

Embarrassing to even PONDER giving up nearly 10 penalties in a game. Lambert better tell these guys to play clean, or else this team is going to be deep in their own fecal matter. Ilya Sorokin would've ripped off Doug Weights heart like Kano if he played on those teams.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He wasn't first star? Wow.

Good game, deserved to win great start! Took advantage of an incredibly weak mentally team.

As a sens fan we're hopeful this means a new GM who hires a new Coach. Good luck the rest of the way.
You fit right in here :nod:

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
hate to sound like a homer but most of the pims on the isles were terrible calls , especially the early one on Nelson and the tripping call on Pelley where the Sens player literally skated into his stick himself lol

take the 2 points

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It was arguably their best period of the young season followed by one of the worse and undisciplined ones I have ever seen, but we managed to overcome it and squeak out a win. It is obvious we need Mayfield back in a hurry and still not seeing enough from the youngsters, even if their ice time has been limited...

With the exception of Dobson of course, who has started the season quite well, including this game which might have been his best as an Islander...

Won't do an early overreaction on how bad this team is until at least 20 games or so in, but early signs show little to be excited about aside from our All-World goalie. That PP is still horribly inept...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
After the first game I posted our D's ice time and noted that Aho had a very low total. It's not improving. Last night Dobson, Pelech and Pulock had around 27 mins TOI, Romanov a little over 20 mins, Aho 10 and change, and Bolduc around 5 mins. I realize Mayfield's out, but D miss games sometimes. They really need to either build trust in Aho/Bolduc or look for help elsewhere (BP or trade). When Trotz was here, it was rare for a D to have much over 20 mins in a game. He spread ice time around.

Also, I watch this team and think "not well-coached". If things don't improve, Lane might be gone by Thanksgiving (U.S.).

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
hate to sound like a homer but most of the pims on the isles were terrible calls , especially the early one on Nelson and the tripping call on Pelley where the Sens player literally skated into his stick himself lol

take the 2 points
Some of the calls were ticky-tacky, but they called them both ways. The long history of NHL officiating is that many of these won't get called later in the season. I thought the officiating was fair. Sometimes taking penalties (Pelech's trip) is simply a consequence of getting beaten. It's not important whether he intended to trip anyone, his stick was position to trip the player who stole an inaccurate pass. Not his fault, perhaps, but it was a penalty.

Grieg's hooking call was ticky-tacky - Clutterbuck's slash was more of a penalty. Joseph's and Palmieri's high sticks were in different spots, but were otherwise very similar. I thought it was completely fair. Nelson's interference penalty was ironic considering that the Senators used to utilize that kind of interference routinely, but it was a penalty. Penalties like that are part of the risk of an entry strategy that involves the dropback pass while everyone else lines up along the blueline. If you're going to stand there, you've got to be still, as moving to contact against a defender will reasonably be treated as a moving pick whether or not it is intended. Of course, if the players lined up are completely still, they'll more likely to be late to recover a loose puck. I am not a hockey coach, but I've become increasingly disenchanted with that entry strategy.

Also, the PP isn't great, but it is better than last year's with Horvat & Palmieri on PP1. imo Barzal has to be far more mobile on the PP. Him and Dobson need to become more comfortable with rotating. MacKinnon and Makar they are not, but they should still take inspiration from how they rotate on the PP. I don't mind it if Barzal possesses the puck, but there's no point in doing so if he's static.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Saw some good things last night. Nice to get the two points (not sure why some see it as a "pathetic win" but whatever). Continue to be encouraged by the play of the 1st line. I agree with those who say that Barzal will never be a true goal scorer/sniper. Not his skillset. His assists to goal ration will always hover around 2:1. But I do think he needs to drive to the net more and take more shots. And he seems to be doing that so far this season. This also leads to him drawing penalties. Maybe this will curb his whining to the refs...

Speaking of refs, after 5 of 6 calls went against the Isles (all technically legit calls BTW) the crowd (and I imagine this board) went nuts. Couldn't help but thinking back to the conversation here about NHL refereeing and how everything must be called by the book. All the time. No exceptions. Refs "managing the game" is stupid. I guess the true sentiment is, "call everything by the book unless it is lopsided against the Islanders. Then it is not fair." lol

Reactions: saintunspecified

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I felt most of the penalties were just incidental goofiness. Players skating face first into sticks or tripping themselves, stepping on sticks. It happens on occasion, seemed to happen all at once yesterday. Penalties stood out, because of what happened previous games.

Regarding Barzal, he is an elite skater on par with McDavid, Hughes et al. He is consistently one of the best puck transporters in the NHL. He is a great playmaker. He plays consistently plays energy and effort (albeit on offense more than defense).

Barzal is not an elite/complete player like McDavid/Hughes. He does not approach the game with purpose… get the puck to net to get a goal. Rather he’s more about establishing offensive zone possession to then work towards getting a goal.

As a professional, there are things he needs to improve. But I have accepted that he’s always going to leave you wanting more. Much like Alexei Kovalev back in the day.

What I push back on, is the notion that he can’t be part of a winning solution. He can be both infuriating and part of a team that competes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lights911

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad