GDT: GDT #58 New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | February 26th | 8 PM | F/3-2 OTW

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Give Horvat the C, trade Lee, Cal, Martin, JGP (maybe keep him)

There's no reason why we can't have a better team next year. Even if they aren't amazing in 2025.. the 4th line is way too old to be playing in this league.

Reactions: BillD

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
For every one of those Barzal OT shifts like last night there's inevitably one where he stays on the ice too long and costs us a win. But for today he's Saint Matt I guess.

You know that team you root for that is 20th in scoring and bottom 10 in almost every other (offensive) metric? Try to imagine them without their #1 creator of offense.

Barzal is far from perfect, but he nets out WAAAY on the positive side in terms of helping the team win. Instead of picking on the 20th leading scorer in the NHL, why not pick on Anders Lee, Pageau, and Engvall who have as many points as Barzal combined (and cost an additional 5.85M against the cap).

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
You know that team you root for that is 20th in scoring and bottom 10 in almost every other (offensive) metric? Try to imagine them without their #1 creator of offense.

Barzal is far from perfect, but he nets out WAAAY on the positive side in terms of helping the team win. Instead of picking on the 20th leading scorer in the NHL, why not pick on Anders Lee, Pageau, and Engvall who have as many points as Barzal combined (and cost an additional 5.85M against the cap).
This speaks volumes, thanks for doing the research.

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Give Horvat the C, trade Lee, Cal, Martin, JGP (maybe keep him)

There's no reason why we can't have a better team next year. Even if they aren't amazing in 2025.. the 4th line is way too old to be playing in this league.
Here is my list

Players I would like to Keep

Barzal
Horvat
Nelson
Dobson
Romanov

Players I would hate to see go but if we got a nice return, I would be ok with it.
Cizikas
Holmstrom
MacLean
Pelech
Pulock
Riely

Trade everyone else

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Someone posted something recently about being jealous of DAL. I saw their GDT after last night's game and it's pretty much this board, except change some names (Benn instead of Lee, etc.). Kinda funny.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Someone posted something recently about being jealous of DAL. I saw their GDT after last night's game and it's pretty much this board, except change some names (Benn instead of Lee, etc.). Kinda funny.
They have a younger GM though, he’s 65.

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It's the same thing almost everywhere. No GM is perfect and if you're hyper-focusing on one team you're going to see a lot more warts than if you're casually glancing at the rest of the league. I know you know this but some others might need a reminder.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
Here is my list

Players I would like to Keep

Barzal
Horvat
Nelson
Dobson
Romanov

Players I would hate to see go but if we got a nice return, I would be ok with it.
Cizikas
Holmstrom
MacLean
Pelech
Pulock
Riely

Trade everyone else
Holmstrom does not belong on this list. One of the few young-ish, cost controlled players does not need to move in any circumstance as his value isn't high enough to make a return feasible.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Holmstrom does not belong on this list. One of the few young-ish, cost controlled players does not need to move in any circumstance as his value isn't high enough to make a return feasible.
I think it's time to part ways with Pelech.
He is only 29 but has declined rapidly and is now a liability on defense.
Aho had a pretty good game last night but he is nothing more than a fringe 6/7 if that.
And, he's playing better than Pelech who has just lost his game. Whether the injuries to his body, his concussions, IDK but he is awful.

Reactions: Glorydays22

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I think it's time to part ways with Pelech.
He is only 29 but has declined rapidly and is now a liability on defense.
Aho had a pretty good game last night but he is nothing more than a fringe 6/7 if that.
And, he's playing better than Pelech who has just lost his game. Whether the injuries to his body, his concussions, IDK but he is awful.
I don’t know that I’d say awful but I agree he is on the decline. If there was a way to move him while he has value I’d do it.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
I would try to trade Lee. His NTC is becoming M-NTC next year (15 teams no trade list). The problem is not only he's the captain, but he's home grown hero and core member of CCC aka Casey's Country Club. A real GM would solve this, I just can't imagine Lou stripped the C from Lee to give it Horvat and find a trade partner for Lee.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
It's the same thing almost everywhere. No GM is perfect and if you're hyper-focusing on one team you're going to see a lot more warts than if you're casually glancing at the rest of the league. I know you know this but some others might need a reminder.
Yep, that was me. Stars fans were pissed about Benn missing his assignment and leaving Horvat all alone in OT. Benn does have a few more years at a bloated contract. With that being said, the Stars are in such a better situation than the Isles regarding contracts, prospects, and their GM.

I am definitely not a casual fan, but thanks for the reminder :thumbu:

Reactions: doublechili

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yep, that was me. Stars fans were pissed about Benn missing his assignment and leaving Horvat all alone in OT. Benn does have a few more years at a bloated contract. With that being said, the Stars are in such a better situation than the Isles regarding contracts, prospects, and their GM.

They have done a really good job bc their youth movement is carrying their very expensive old dudes, that, well, have long term contracts. They also dodged a huge bullet with Klingberg Klingberging himself out of his long term offer.

Reactions: Lights911

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Oh, it wasn't meant for you either, even if you were the one who pointed it out. :laugh:

I really just meant it in a general sense. There's a lot of doom and gloom around most of the franchises fans.

As for Dallas specifically, I think they've drafted pretty well so they've been able to avoid bottoming out as Seguin and Benn get older. Hintz and Robertson were second rounders, and Stankoven from last night was also a second rounder. Lindell was a third rounder, and Harley was an 18th overall pick, while Oettinger was a late first rounder.

We've had Beauvillier, Wahlstrom, and Bellows bust at similar draft spots.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Oh, it wasn't meant for you either, even if you were the one who pointed it out. :laugh:

I really just meant it in a general sense. There's a lot of doom and gloom around most of the franchises fans.

As for Dallas specifically, I think they've drafted pretty well so they've been able to avoid bottoming out as Seguin and Benn get older. Hintz and Robertson were second rounders, and Stankoven from last night was also a second rounder. Lindell was a third rounder, and Harley was an 18th overall pick, while Oettinger was a late first rounder.

Don’t forget Michael Dal Colle.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe

No worries at all and forgive me if I came across as a jerk. I totally appreciate you and your insight.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I guess Ho-Sang too.

We've hit on Barzal, Dobson, while still waiting to find out about Holmstrom. That's a huge gap in drafting between the two clubs.

I mean at the worst, Holmstrom has shown he can be an everyday NHLer, even if that ends up being a 3rd/4th line tweener, that's way better than most of our recent track record :laugh:, and certainly more than many expected in his first few post-draft years.

Reactions: Potvottier

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I mean at the worst, Holmstrom has shown he can be an everyday NHLer, even if that ends up being a 3rd/4th line tweener, that's way better than most of our recent track record :laugh:, and certainly more than many expected in his first few post-draft years.
i agree about Holmstrom. he has tons of room to grow, and has shown flashes of very good skills. his awareness and sense are reflected in his high number of short-handed goals. he works hard and is defensively responsible. i like.

as with most players, even vets, there is an adjustment period. he is very good on the 3rd line and pk duties, so i would keep him right where he is. the only knock on him, IMO, is inexperience. target him to replace Palmieri on 2nd line, for next year.

i really liked the lineup that Roy used vs Dallas.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
i agree about Holmstrom. he has tons of room to grow, and has shown flashes of very good skills. his awareness and sense are reflected in his high number of short-handed goals. he works hard and is defensively responsible. i like.

as with most players, even vets, there is an adjustment period. he is very good on the 3rd line and pk duties, so i would keep him right where he is. the only knock on him, IMO, is inexperience. target him to replace Palmieri on 2nd line, for next year.

i really liked the lineup that Roy used vs Dallas.
I think the top heavy lineup Roy used in Dallas shows just how weak the rest of the forward lines are. There has to be more than one goal from MacLean. Some of the other forwards must find the back of the net at 5v5.

Reactions: Potvottier

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
I think the top heavy lineup Roy used in Dallas shows just how weak the rest of the forward lines are. There has to be more than one goal from MacLean. Some of the other forwards must find the back of the net at 5v5.
You know, i like the new lines, but i think we were pretty good, 5-on-5, prior to the change. Also, I think the boys are starting to react more instinctively/fluently to Roy's system. They are more active on the power play, are forechecking faster, and having better gap control and coverage, in our own end.

Most significant area of concern is the PK. Maybe need to figure that out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad