GDT: GDT #56 New York Islanders @ St. Louis Blues | February 22nd | 8 PM | F/4-0 L

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
1708610338928.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (23-18-14) AT ST LOUIS BLUES (29-24-2)
8 PM ET | ENTERPRISE CENTER
WATCH: MSGSN2 | MSG+ | ESPN+
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | ESPN STREAM

The New York Islanders are looking to string two wins together when they take on the St. Louis Blues on Thursday at Enterprise Center.

The Islanders earned two important points against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday night in a Metropolitan Division showdown in the Steel City. Adam Pelech buried the OT-winner for the Islanders 57 seconds into the extra frame while Brock Nelson (1G, 1A), Mathew Barzal (1G, 1A), Simon Holmstrom and Mike Reilly scored for the Islanders in regulation. Ilya Sorokin made 37 saves in the win and the victory extended the Islanders’ point streak to three games (1-0-2). Though the Islanders let a 4-2 lead slip in the third, getting the job done in overtime is encouraging for the group.

“It was a confidence booster for our group, we needed that,” Mathew Barzal said after the win. “We really have no time to sit around and have a bad game, so every game is important and tonight was huge. Especially when a guy like Pelech scores in overtime, that can be seriously uplifting.”

The Blues had two days between games since their 4-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday. Brandon Saad and Pavel Buchnevich scored the pair of goals for St. Louis, while Joel Hofer made 25 saves.

The Blues are the only team the Islanders have not played yet this season. The Islanders split the season series with the Blues last year (1-1-0) and have not played them since Dec. 6, 2022.

1708610365395.png

ISLANDERS NOTES​

- The New York Islanders placed Hudson Fasching (lower-body) on LTIR on Wednesday, retroactive to Jan. 25. The winger skated with the team on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, but did not join the team for the road trip because of an illness. Fasching missed eight games after he suffered an injury on Jan. 25 against Montreal. Per LTIR rules, which specify that a player must sit out 10 games and 24 days, he's eligible to return on Sunday, Feb. 25 at the earliest.
- Casey Cizikas exited the game early in the third period of Tuesday’s 5-4 OT win and did not return. While the team does not have an update on Cizikas as of Wednesday, the Islanders recalled center Kyle MacLean from Bridgeport. MacLean, 24, played in six games with the Islanders from Jan. 19 to Feb. 5 and scored his first NHL goal on Feb. 5 in a 3-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Mathew Barzal extended his point streak to a season-long eight games with a goal in Tuesday's contest. He has 11 points (5G, 6A) over his eight-game streak, one game shy of matching his career-long nine games. He leads the team lead in scoring with 59 points (17G, 42A).
- The Islanders had a rebound performance on the penalty kill, going three-for-three on the night that marked the second time in the last nine games the shorthanded unit did not surrender a goal.
- Ilya Sorokin made 37 saves and tallied an assist on Tuesday in his third consecutive start. After the game, Head Coach Patrick Roy revealed that Semyon Varlamov is the expected goaltender against the Blues. Varlamov is 6-6-3 this season with a .912 SV% and a 2.90 GAA. Against St. Louis, Varlamov owns a career record of 10-11-3, along with a .925 SV%, a 2.48 GAA and three shutouts.

BLUES NOTES​

- The Blues have dropped two consecutive contests following a stretch where they went 8-2-0. With 60 points through 55 games, the Blues occupy the second wild card spot in the Western Conference.
- Justin Faulk (lower-body) was placed on LTIR on Tuesday after he missed 10 games. The 31-year-old defenseman has 19 points (2G, 17A) through 40 games this season, along with 77 blocked shots and 52 hits.
- The team placed Scott Perunovich (lower-body) on IR on Tuesday after he missed seven games. The 25-year-old defenseman has 12 points (12A) through 50 games this season.
- The Blues recalled Zach Bolduc on Tuesday from their AHL affiliate, the Springfield Thunderbirds. The 20-year-old forward will make his NHL debut against the Islanders if he plays on Thursday night. Bolduc, who was drafted 17th overall by the Blues in the 2021 NHL draft, has 23 points (8G, 15A) through 48 games for the Thunderbirds in his first professional season.
- Robert Thomas leads the Blues in goals (19),assists (43) and points (62) in his sixth season with the team. The 24-year-old is riding a four-game point streak with nine points (2G, 7A) over that span.
- The Blues made a coaching change earlier in the season, parting ways with Craig Berube and hiring Drew Bannister as their interim head coach. Berube was 206-132-44 with the Blues, leading the team to the Stanley Cup in 2019.
- The Blues were 13-14-1 at the time Berube was relieved of his duties; he served as interim head coach for the 2019 Stanley Cup. Since Bannister took over, the Blues are 16-10-1.

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Blues playing some good hockey lately. Will be some tough sledding for the isles.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Big game, devils got the Rangers and Wings playing Aves. Opportunity to possibly gain 2 points on them tonight. Need a strong effort, blues been playing well lately. Also worth noting lightning play caps so could possibly be 3 points behind them as well with 2 games in hand and a hame against them Saturday at home. Gotta win and worry about those other teams later. LGI

Reactions: Potvottier

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
How anybody (let alone an Islanders fan) could watch this version of the Isles consistently and think that Mat Barzal is the problem with the team is literally beyond comprehension for me. Barzy, Horvat and Dobson are the only untouchables on the entire team in my mind.

Reactions: Taswell

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
How anybody (let alone an Islanders fan) could watch this version of the Isles consistently and think that Mat Barzal is the problem with the team is literally beyond comprehension for me. Barzy, Horvat and Dobson are the only untouchables on the entire team in my mind.

We all know who the problem is this year. SOMEHOW, its still Bailey. LOL

Barzal obviously has some chronic weaknesses which we all know.. but as they say "He definitely aint the problem"

• Haha
Reactions: Lek

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We all know who the problem is this year. SOMEHOW, its still Bailey. LOL

Barzal obviously has some chronic weaknesses which we all know.. but as they say "He definitely aint the problem"
Frankly, I blame Bailey for:

Nuclear proliferation (Oppenheimer was just a cover story)

Female James Bond (Bailey is Ian Fleming's grandson, so the lineage is clear)

Metaverse (that failed too)

The Johns Hopkins lacrosse title drought (his career started the same year and God ran out of miracles)

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Is he a +3 or a 0 in that situation?
Barzal leads our forwards in on ice goal differential at +30, and you'd never believe it but he's also first among our forwards in On Ice Goal% at 61.4% - meaning they have outscored the opponent by a score of 3-2 on average while he is on the ice. He's leading our team in points and on pace for 90. After 10 games under Roy he's been on pace for 40 goals and almost 110 points, and is second in the league in takeaways over that span. Roy's been playing him an extra 4 or 5 minutes a game which has lead to the bump in production, probably because he knows about those first two stats. Also he's really fun to watch.

You sure we can't interest you in someone else to hate on? Maybe an Engvall, or a Mayfield? How about a slightly used Sebastian Aho?? I know he's not playing right now but that's no reason to let him off the hook! Maybe we can bring Bailey back?? Or possibly we can look at the historically bad PK?? What will it take??????

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Time to grab the juice boxes and goldfish crackers, sit back and relax. It’s almost time for the Long Island Loserpoints to entertain the masses.

GOLFWANG

Jul 20, 2007
we still don't have a player who can hit a one-timer a decent amount. We still need one of those and Wahlstrom just ain't it and not sure what he is besides another MDC as of right now. He actually seems to be getting worse and hasn't shown much.

I think I'd rather see Ruslan instead right now.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
we still don't have a player who can hit a one-timer a decent amount. We still need one of those and Wahlstrom just ain't it and not sure what he is besides another MDC as of right now. He actually seems to be getting worse and hasn't shown much.

Yeah it's time for Ruslan. Can't be worse off the puck than Wahlstrom

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I thought to myself the other night “Wally is just MDC”

Terrible considering that second season he had

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Scoreboard doesn’t look too bad. Could be an opportunity to make some ground here tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad