GDT: GDT #53 New York Islanders vs Seattle Kraken | February 13th | 7:30 PM | F/2-1 SO/L

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I agree with everyone Lou needs to sell. But let's be honest. Let's say Lou finally gets it and knows he has to sell and break up the core.

Does anyone trust him getting the best return for whomever he trades anymore?? I don't

Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Not saying Wahlstrom is the issue with tonight or this teams struggles but there is no way he should be occupying a roster spot and most certainly he should not be seeing any ice time period. He needs to be waived and sent down period. Anyone who sees this differently probably sees this team as a perennial contender

Reactions: DamnZamDoor

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Still a small sample for Roy but they had a better record under Lambert and also played most of last season without at least one of Barzal and Horvat thought most of the year. Healthy team with Roy and the results are worse so far. Complete disaster to get only 1pt with two home games versus lottery teams.

Lambert was an easy whipping boy here but it’s likely that the roster is the real issue.
If Lame Lambert commits hara-kiri tomorrow, it's on you . . .

It’s Lambert’s fault
Nah
AI
Metaverse
Pick one

Barzal is not a shootout type of player, but
Who is he supposed to put out there?
Look down the bench, not a lot of choices
Holmstrom
At some point you have to trust his breakaway moves translate to the SO

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
this is basically a lottery team, only those loser points are masking up the misery.
Ottawa is 2nd last in East, but with only 2 OTL - Isles have 13(!) OTL In a world without loser points so subtract 11 pts and surprise, surprise Ottawa has same points total as Isles. What a sh*t show
are we a lottery team? honest question
we are not that "highly skilled" team that wins in a 3 on 3 pickup game or shootout--- what if OT was 5 on 5 and sudden death like the playoffs?

The team has issues and is confounding at times, but imagine if we had won half of the OT losses?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I dont know about you guys but I was particularly troubled by Anders Lee's statements after the game yesterday. Barzal, Horvat, Roy and others straight out said they were completely outplayed and that there was very little to like about their game tonight.
Then Lee says he thought "they battled" that they were "flying," that "you are not going to have it every night," and that it was tough because Seattle wanted to "muck it up all night."
This is from the captain of the team. You are not going to have it every night??!!! What the hell kind of message is that sending to your team? You are playing for your postseason lives and lose two games to non-playoff teams in the West who got beat on the same trip by teams we are fighting for spots with.
Then factor how many times in just a few weeks Roy has had to stop practice to ask these guys if they are tired or tell them to work harder. I mean this as an honest question, because I do not know, but is this kind of stuff happening on most or any other NHL teams? You have to really wonder if there is a disconnect at this point on this team between a group of guys like Lee and Cizikas with others like Roy, Horvat and Barzal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
are we a lottery team? honest question
we are not that "highly skilled" team that wins in a 3 on 3 pickup game or shootout--- what if OT was 5 on 5 and sudden death like the playoffs?

The team has issues and is confounding at times, but imagine if we had won half of the OT losses?
We're a middle of the league team. A team that should land anywhere between 16-20 overall in the standings given our lack of high end talent and inconsistency with fundamentals.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
These guys are DUMB. Same mistakes over and over and over. Change coach, change practice, same result. The players should look in to changing their game day and pregame routine. Maybe not a good idea to have a few beers with game day lunch.

DamnZamDoor

Jun 20, 2021
Holmstrom? Cant be worse than Barzal at shootouts.
Agree with this. He's only had two shootout chances this season and made one with a beautiful move. The rest of these guys spend their approach faking themselves out and then forget what they were trying to do when they reach the net. By then they are 6 inches away from the goalie and get stuffed. Ridiculous.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
In the post game, Roy said something about the boys needing to break old habits...not bad habits...just other system habits. I think this is what Lambert had an issue with as well. I think Trotz had some way to drill certain defensive habits that conflict against other game strategies...or I could just be smoking something real good.
This seems to go back to there was a divergence in Trotz Year 4 as he tried to open things up. Lambert followed on, retreated to Trotz-like system when he realized it wasn’t working with this group, made the playoffs. This season, open things up again and it’s a mess all over the place.

Reactions: Potvottier

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I agree with everyone Lou needs to sell. But let's be honest. Let's say Lou finally gets it and knows he has to sell and break up the core.

Does anyone trust him getting the best return for whomever he trades anymore?? I don't
I think Lou’s trades have been more than fine, strategic, and filled the gaps needed at the time they were made.

He’s been a bit ho-hum on his signings. The decline in play with a bunch of players having an extra year or two, is causing the problems. The younger players are not consistent enough to rely on them to lead the team or offset the others - this is what is happening successfully in Dallas. They have a bunch of bad contracts too. Their younger guys are pushing that team, while the older expensive guys are now complimentary.

The extra year or two is the Islanders factor. The extra long deals are 100% on Lou is taking a major risk that’s backfiring.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This seems to go back to there was a divergence in Trotz Year 4 as he tried to open things up. Lambert followed on, retreated to Trotz-like system when he realized it wasn’t working with this group, made the playoffs. This season, open things up again and it’s a mess all over the place.
Trotz never tried to open things up in any year. Only Lambert did in 2022. Which is how I think he got the HC job here--by telling Lou he could get him more offense with the pieces that were already in place.

In Year 4 Trotz had a revolving door of players in and out of the lineup, plus multiple pauses in the season. The team never found it's stride. His bedrock was Zdeno Chara which was not what anybody had drawn up in October of 2021.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
There's a lot more booing at UBS this season than years past. Combined with the reaction by Cizikas earlier this season, pretty clear that the fans are not happy and would not be surprised if tix sales plummet. I had fulls first year at UBS, then halves, currently hold a quarter plan. I've seen more L's in my plan than W's this season with the PIT debacle the highlight of the year for me. I wonder how many are going to be in the same boat like me where the cost and time is just not worth it to see this infuriating product night after night.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Trotz never tried to open things up in any year. Only Lambert did in 2022. Which is how I think he got the HC job here--by telling Lou he could get him more offense with the pieces that were already in place.

In Year 4 Trotz had a revolving door of players in and out of the lineup, plus multiple pauses in the season. The team never found it's stride. His bedrock was Zdeno Chara which was not what anybody had drawn up in October of 2021.
I agree.

Also, I think the Islanders are in a playoff spot if Trotz is still head coach.

There's a lot more booing at UBS this season than years past. Combined with the reaction by Cizikas earlier this season, pretty clear that the fans are not happy and would not be surprised if tix sales plummet. I had fulls first year at UBS, then halves, currently hold a quarter plan. I've seen more L's in my plan than W's this season with the PIT debacle the highlight of the year for me. I wonder how many are going to be in the same boat like me where the cost and time is just not worth it to see this infuriating product night after night.
A losing team will see less than 10K most nights whether they play at Nassau Coliseum, Barclays or UBS.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I agree.

Also, I think the Islanders are in a playoff spot if Trotz is still head coach.

A losing team will see less than 10K most nights whether they play at Nassau Coliseum, Barclays or UBS.

I have tremendous respect for this core and the runs they've given us the last 5+ years or so but I think it's time to start breaking up the band, or else we'll start seeing those numbers again.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
The time has come to sell what we can. Nelson likely has the most value and should be moved if value is right. Would also deal Clutter for a late pick if he wants a run at the playoffs. Not sure anyone else could even be moved at the deadline without giving up an asset as the contracts are all so bad.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I have tremendous respect for this core and the runs they've given us the last 5+ years or so but I think it's time to start breaking up the band, or else we'll start seeing those numbers again.
If we break up the band we will start seeing those numbers again as well.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Yep, I think that seals it for me too. This team isn’t making the playoffs. To come out with two performances against beatable teams, in the heat of a playoff race, is just unacceptable. I like Roy, I suppose I give him next season. Blank slate, perhaps a restructured roster, and a training camp to set the tone.

A tough pill to swallow, but it is what it is.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY

Just in time, and just as I suspected.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA

Given what he has to work with and the contracts he has burdened himself with, even if he were capable of getting the "the best return", and I agree, it's doubtful that he is, that return still wouldn't be much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad