GDT: GDT #5 Colorado Avalanche vs New York Islanders | October 24th | 8 PM | F/7-4 L

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barry Trotz wanted to coach so bad it was only going to be for the NY Islanders I guess is the thought process here?
That's right. Why is that a problem for you?

It's clear to me that Trotz wanted to finish his time behind the bench on the Islanders and then move on to something else.

Horvat, Engval, Dobson, Romanov.
Dobson was already here for the 2021-22 season.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
No way was this a typical firing. Obviously Trotz had personal things going on. Would he have honored the last year of his contract and coached with a chip on his shoulder? I'm sure he would. But there was a lot going on behind the scenes and it appears that a gentlemen's agreement was reached between Lou, Trotz and ownership.
Please stop. You have absolutely no evidence of this. You're completely rationalizing this to support Lou and the notion that no one could do such a thing, but Lou has a history of firing coaches inexplicably and at the most head scratching of moments. It's complete conjecture what you're saying here. This shit is all just made up in your head.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Please stop. You have absolutely no evidence of this. You're completely rationalizing this to support Lou and the notion that no one could do something so poorly thought out, but Lou has a history of firing coaches inexplicably and at the most head scratching of moments. It's complete conjecture what you're saying here. This shit is all just made up in your head.
BWWWWAAAAAHHHHHAAAAA!

Free Garth Snow!

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I’m talking about making additions for the 2021-22 season.
Gotcha. Not what I thought you meant. I was focused on the comment about how the roster is now dying on the vine. And how he fired Trotz (which wasn't until after the 2021-2022 season).

But yeah, coming off that 2021 G7 loss to TB was the peak. Too bad we couldn't land a Horvat or a Romanov heading into that next season. That was the first time since probably 1985 or so where some "experts" were picking the Islanders to win the cup.

Reactions: MJF

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
And trotz was just on with gross on island ice last week and said he had too much personal stuff go8ng on to coach.

go figure.

He said this:

Not that I wanted to get fired . . . [But] if you’re replacing me, fantastic," said Trotz to Andrew Gross in Newsday. on Thursday. "It meant as a friend and a colleague, you were advancing.”

Someone with a gentleman's agreement between the GM and owners doesn't say this if he really wanted to get fired for some time off. The more people keep spreading these conspiracy theories the more they are making Barry Trotz look like a liar and I respect him too much to think of him as a liar. He could have just said, "I have no comment on what happened but I have the utmost of respect for Lou and his decisions". He elaborated on what he said happened behind the scenes which matches what we all saw. He was simply fired. I don't know why people keep trying to rationalize in their heads otherwise and come up with these ridiculous stories of what they think happened and assert them as fact with no evidence whatsoever to support them.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
No one wants to get fired. He admitted to struggling personally. He took the entire 2022-2023 season off to take care of family issues and then became a GM (not coach).

Here are other thing she said:
"I've got some things personally that I've got to take care of, family-wise that I've got to take care of," Trotz said Friday. "I didn't feel ... if I'd said I'll take the job, I think I would have done any team a little bit of a disservice and myself a disservice because to be a coach in the NHL, it is demanding and it requires your all. It just does, emotionally it just does, mentally it just does. So I couldn't go down that path."

"I've been doing this for 25 straight years and I've put a lot of stuff on the back burner and I think it's time. The one thing I do know, and it's a mistake that everybody makes, is you think you have time and you don't," he said. "And so this is my time when I can get to a lot of things I've put on the back burner. I have to take care of those, for peace of mind for everything so I will be 100 percent in if I get back into it and I'll be a better coach for it."

"But I could not commit to any team; it wasn't just Winnipeg, it was every team."

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He said this:

Not that I wanted to get fired . . . [But] if you’re replacing me, fantastic," said Trotz to Andrew Gross in Newsday. on Thursday. "It meant as a friend and a colleague, you were advancing.”

Someone with a gentleman's agreement between the GM and owners doesn't say this if he really wanted to get fired for some time off. The more people keep spreading these conspiracy theories the more they are making Barry Trotz look like a liar and I respect him too much to think of him as a liar. He could have just said, "I have no comment on what happened but I have the utmost of respect for Lou and his decisions". He elaborated on what he said happened behind the scenes which matches what we all saw. He was simply fired. I don't know why people keep trying to rationalize in their heads otherwise and come up with these ridiculous stories of what they think happened and assert them as fact with no evidence whatsoever to support them.
Why does Barry saying one thing, then offering contradicting statements in this recent interview have to be him lying?

He explicitly said he had a trying few years and personal issues… it’s not a fantastical leap to expect him to not know his own heart completely.

Do people here not have doubts or uncertainties in their lives at times? I guess it’s only me?

As for rationalizing ridiculous stories for what happened?

Fact is that there were a number of reports that Barry was dealing with personal issues and considering leaving coaching for upper management. Less than a year later, Barry has left coaching for an upper management position. All while giving interviews that he was dealing with burnout and personal issues.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Why does Barry saying one thing, then offering contradicting statements in this recent interview have to be him lying?

He explicitly said he had a trying few years and personal issues… it’s not a fantastical leap to expect him to not know his own heart completely.

Do people here not have doubts or uncertainties in their lives at times? I guess it’s only me?

As for rationalizing ridiculous stories for what happened?

Fact is that there were a number of reports were that Barry was dealing with personal issues and considering leaving coaching for upper management. Less than a year later, Barry has left coaching for an upper management position. All while giving interviews that he was dealing with burnout and personal issues.
Everyone deals with personal issues while at work and everyone deals with them. He's a grown up and a responsible man. There is nothing from what he has said publicly that he was trying to escape his job with the help of his boss. He was simply fired and being fired gave him opportunity to reflect on and address what was going on in his life. He hasn't said anything contradictory.

This is exactly what he said happened and what he has been saying all along. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Like I said, I don't see any reason to believe he was lying.

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Also this. "We packed a lot in in those four years (with the Islanders). I was beat up. I never had a break."

He also speaks very highly of Lou. Still has a close relationship with him. "We talked weekly even the weeks and months after I left the Island." Seems like it was an amicable split.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Everyone deals with personal issues while at work and everyone deals with them. There is nothing from what he has said publicly that he was trying to escape his job with the help of his boss. He was simply fired and being fired gave him opportunity to reflect on what was going on in his life.

This is exactly what he has been saying all along. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Yes, there NOT being fact of collusion by both parties is true.

What most people (myself included) are pushing back on is your simplified take that this was Lou firing a coach, because Lou fires coaches at random.

Clearly there was more going on then just a hockey decision.

There’s plenty to criticize Lou about, should just move past this one already. This is akin to how posters like to discredit your boy Snow for getting Barzal. Only because they feel the need to pile on everything he did (good or bad) as a negative.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Also this. "We packed a lot in in those four years (with the Islanders). I was beat up. I never had a break."

He also speaks very highly of Lou. Still has a close relationship with him. "We talked weekly even the weeks and months after I left the Island." Seems like it was an amicable split.
They took the high road.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
What most people (myself included) are pushing back on is your simplified take that this was Lou firing a coach, because Lou fires coaches at random.
Cupholders, he has a long history of firing successful coaches at weirdest time and oftentimes replacing them with himself. This is not conjecture. It’s fact.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Cupholders, he has a long history of firing successful coaches at weirdest time and oftentimes replacing them with himself. This is not conjecture. It’s fact.
Yes, I’m aware. I said as much to that point and was not disputing that fact.

I was saying that I don’t see this firing as a typical hockey decision OR an example of that kind of firing.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011

People get fired with an amicable split all the time. People divorce all the time in an amicable manner. None of this means the firing or divorce didn’t happen and there was some other collusion in their separation. I fired my last office manager with a mutual hug. We both knew she wasn’t up for the job as much as I adored her as a person.

Yes, I’m aware. I said as much to that point and was not disputing that fact.

I was saying that I don’t see this firing as a typical hockey decision OR an example of that kind of firing.
It is atypical for firings to occur amicably but that’s a testament to the character of both these gentlemen.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It's funny that people always criticize past moves using the benefit of hindsight. Yet, here's a case where Trotz announced 6 weeks after getting fired that he wouldn't be taking any NHL coaching jobs that year and would instead take the year off, saying he'd be doing a disservice to a team that hired him. And then he ended up moving to a GM job a year later. So who cares about the exact circumstances of, or reasons behind, his firing? Based on his own words and actions (not to mention the performance of the team his last season coaching - remember the SEA loss?), I just don't get the indignation.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
What I'm trying to say here guys is there was no collusion. Barry Trotz was fired and Lou Lamiorello fired him because he was not satisfied with his performance as a coach.

Why couldn't the following have happened?

It's the end of Barry's last season with the Islanders and the Isles missed the playoffs for the first time under BT. Lou approaches Barry and says he wants to speak to him and the conversation goes like this.

LL: Barry, the owners and I have some concerns about this past year and not making the playoffs and all and we wanted to discuss it with you.

BT: Well you know it was a bizarre year with the new building and COVID and all I think it was just an anomaly.

LL: Yes, yes I agree it was an odd year but both the owners and I have noticed there's something different about you especially the second half of the season. You don't appear as engaged. You were late for a few practices we noticed. You're not as verbal as you normally are during practice sessions. You looked distracted. I remember you left a couple of games for some family issues. Is there something we should know about? Is something going on?

BT: Well actually there is. [talks about his family issues]

LL: Yeah we figured there was something going, but maybe what I'm about to tell you will help you rather than upset you; but the owners and I feel that after this season we want to take the club in a new direction that maybe we needed a new voice in the locker room. So what I'm telling you Barry is that the owners and I have decided to let you go but maybe this will give you the opportunity to handle those issues you are having with your family and maybe chase those dreams you have of moving towards upper management. You know I'm going to give you a phenomenal recommendation.

BT: [A little shocked at first, but resigned]. Yeah Lou, I think you're right. I have been distracted. My mind has not been in the game lately and I haven't been able to focus like I want to. But I respect your decision but you know I really wanted to get back in the saddle next year because now I have this chip on my shoulder and I want these Isles to win the Cup so bad, but this may be for the best. Thanks for everything Lou.

Do you guys see how this is more likely what happened over there being some collusion between Lou, the owners and BT as if they were rewarding him for 4 great years so the 5th one was on them for him to pursue his dream job and be closer to his family. This was not a reward, he was fired, but it was most likely done amicably and with understanding. The scenario would also support everything BT has said in the press since he was fired without making him look like a liar.

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What I'm trying to say here guys is there was no collusion here. Barry Trotz was fired and Lou Lamiorello fired him because he was not satisfied with his performance as a coach.

It's the end of Barry's last season with the Islanders and the Isles missed the playoffs for the first time under BT. Lou approaches Barry and says he wants to speak to him and the conversation goes like this.

LL: Barry, the owners and I have some concerns about this past year and not making the playoffs and all and we wanted to discuss it with you.

BT: Well you know it was a bizarre year with the new building and COVID and all I think it was just an anomaly.

LL: Yes, yes I agree it was an odd year but both the owners and I have noticed there's something different about you especially the second half of the season. You don't appear as engaged. You were late for a few practices we noticed. You're not as verbal as you normally are during practice sessions. You looked distracted. I remember you left a couple of games for some family issues. Is there something we should know about? Is something going on?

LL: Yeah we figured there was something going, but maybe what I'm about to tell you will help you rather than upset you; but the owners and I feel that after this season we want to take the club in a new direction that maybe we needed a new voice in the locker room. So what I'm telling you Barry is that the owners and I have decided to let you go but maybe this will give you the opportunity to handle those issues you are having with your family and maybe chase those dreams you have of moving towards upper management. You know I'm going to give you a phenomenal recommendation.

BT: [A little shocked at first, but resigned]. Yeah Lou, I think you're right. I have been distracted. My mind has not been in the game lately and I haven't been able to focus like I want to. But I respect your decision but you know I really wanted to get back in the saddle next year because now I have this chip on my shoulder and I want these Isles to win the Cup so bad, but this may be for the best. Thanks for everything Lou.

Do you guys see how this is more likely what happened over there being some collusion between Lou, the owners and BT as if they were rewarding him for 4 great years so the 5th one was on them for him to pursue his dream job and be closer to his family. This was not a reward, he was fired, but it was most likely done amicably and with understanding. The scenario would also support everything BT has said in the press since he was fired without making him look like a liar.
Are you writing a play?

• Haha
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What I'm trying to say here guys is there was no collusion. Barry Trotz was fired and Lou Lamiorello fired him because he was not satisfied with his performance as a coach.

May I suggest you spend a little time on another hobby? This is getting to be more about you than Lou and Barry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad