GDT: GDT: 15 TORONTO @ CALGARY OCT 30, 8:00 p.m. THE WALKING DEAD/HALLOWEEN EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
titlepage.png

FEATURING YOUR TORONTO MAPLE LEAF STARS

PHIL "the THRILL-ER" KESSEL​

kessel.jpg

JAMES VAN SCREAMSDYKE

JVR.jpg

JOFFREY "MY OWIE HURTS BUT IT'S OK CAUSE I'M A STUD" LUPUL

Lupulinjured.jpg

MOREGOON "I THOUGHT I SCORED MY FIRST GOAL" RIELLY

calgary.jpg

DION "THE SHERIFF" PHANEUF

SheriffPhaneuf.jpg

NAZEM "LETHAL HANDS" KADRI

TheDream.jpg

COLTON "WHAT'D YOU SAY BUOY?" ORR

merlcoltonorr.png

FRAZER "THE GOVERNOR" MCLAREN

governormclaren.jpg

AND YOUR STARTING TENDERS

JAMES "SHUT OUT" REIMER

reimer.jpg

AND JONATHAN "STOPS ARROWS WITH HIS HEAD" BERNIER

bernier.jpg

BURN THE......BARNS???

burnthebarn.png

MAPLE LEAFS (9-4-0) at FLAMES (5-4-2)

TV: TSN

Last 10: Toronto 6-4-0, Calgary 5-4-1

Season series: This is the first of two games. The Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames split two games in 2011-12, each winning at home.

Big story: Though most of the attention was paid to Calgary losing captain Mark Giordano for 6-8 weeks with a broken ankle, the Flames on Tuesday also announced forward Lee Stempniak would be out week-to-week with a broken foot. Stempniak had one point in nine of the Flames' 10 games and ranked third on the team in scoring (Jiri Hudler 13; Sean Monahan 10).

"When you feel like you're playing well and contributing and helping the team, it makes it more frustrating," Stempniak told the Flames website. "Hopefully, I don't miss too much time, I can get back on the ice at some point soon, and get out there quicker than expected."

Stempniak played on the second unit for each of the Flames' special teams.

"It's going to give some extra responsibilities to some other guys whether it's on penalty killing or power play or 5-on-5," coach Bob Hartley said. "[Stempniak] was on the ice in many key situations for us. Well, [Stempniak's] not here. We still need to go. We can't shut down."

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs: This is the third back-to-back set of the season for Toronto, which won the second game of the first two. James Reimer may have earned his third straight start after shutting out the Edmonton Oilers 4-0 Tuesday. If not, Jonathan Bernier will be back in net.

The duo has combined for a .941 save percentage.

They have become used to facing an awful lot of shots. The Maple Leafs have allowed fewer than 31 once in their 13 games. Reimer stopped 43 Tuesday.

"As a team, I don't think we want to give up 40-plus shots, but having said that, I don't think it was as dangerous as the quantity suggested," Reimer said. "Our defense and our whole team did a heck of a job of eliminating second chances. Edmonton played well and came at us, but I thought we protected the house really well."

Toronto is visiting Western Canada for the first time since mid-February 2012.

Flames: Though not as high-profile as some other reunions this season, Calgary forward Joe Colborne will face the team that traded him away in September. Colborne played 16 games for Toronto over the course of three seasons. The Boston Bruins made him the 16th pick in the 2008 NHL Draft, then included him in a 2011 trade for Tomas Kaberle.

"You always want to show well against your old team, but I've moved on from that," Colborne told the Flames website. "I'm so excited with the opportunity that we have here as a team, and right from Day One it's been a great experience for me, and they've given me a great opportunity, especially these last few games, playing with some great players."

Colborne will center Mike Cammalleri and TJ Galiardi.

Who's hot: Toronto forward Phil Kessel has seven goals and three assists in the past four games, including two goals and two assists against the Oilers. … Jiri Hudler had a season-opening nine-game point streak, was scoreless in game 10, then had an assist Saturday against the Washington Capitals. Rookie Sean Monahan has at least one point in eight of his 11 NHL games. Defenseman Dennis Wideman has three points in his past two games.

Injury report: Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul (foot) returned to play Tuesday. Nikolai Kulemin (ankle) and Tyler Bozak (lower body), and defenseman Mark Fraser (knee) are on injured reserve. Kulemin and Fraser took part in the morning skate Tuesday. Bozak will have another MRI exam soon. … Flames defenseman Christopher Breen (abdominal wall) is day-to-day. Giordano and Stempniak are out. Also a special shout out to Olivia Be-Leafs who will be watching the game with me tonight haven't seen her in over a year GLG.

DON'T MENTION THE LETTER "C"

Last edited:

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
AND THE CALGARY FLAMES

FEATURING SUCH FORMER STARS AS

MIKE "I WAS BETTER WHEN I HAD 2 LEGS" CAMMALLERI

hersheloldcalgary.png

JIRI "FROM THE HOOD" HUDLER

asian.png

BRIAN "THE DOCTOR" MCGRATTAN
randomcalgary.jpg

LEE "SLEAZE" STEMPNIAK

calgary2.jpg

MATT "MOMMA's GIRL" STAJAN

calgary3.jpg

AND SUCH UP AND COMING STARS AS

SEAN "MAMA" MONAHAN

youngkidorwuss.jpg

SVEN "BARELY LEGAL" BAERTSCHI

calrookie.png

JOE "THE TRAITOR" COLBORNE

traitorcolborne.jpg

AND FEATURING SUCH GENERIC GOALTENDING AS

JOEY "JO JO JR" MACDONALD

calgarygaolie2.jpg

AND THE NOT SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT OR BETTER
KARRI "CARRIE" RAMO

calgarygoalie.jpg

AND HONOURABLE MENTION TO THE FLAMERS SUPPORTING CAST

calgarysupportingcast.jpg

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My thoughts for tonight's game is we need 2 lines that are able to score, not 1 or we are in trouble.

JVR and Kessel can play with almost anyone and produce.

Kadri is an offensive catalyst as he showed last year with Orr and Macarthur.

Need to get Lupul and Clarkson going.

I would try Bolland with JVR and Kessel and Kadri with Lupul and Clarkson at some point.

Clarkson is playing hard, and is doing the shutdown line's work. But at 5.25, he needs to score. Put him with Kadri and Lupul and I think he does.

Get all the players going.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I will be very disappointed if the Leafs don't win this. No Giordano, no Stempniak, that's like most of their talent right there :laugh: Teams that want to battle for first place in their division win games like this.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Thing is, Lupul is not fully recovered, he was not playing at 100% last night. We might have to depend solely on JVr-Kadri-Kessel to produce offence and hope we can outscore the Flames. That line is super hot right now and I'd rather run with a 1 line team than to distribute offence (Kadri on 2nd line) until Lupul is 100%.

Also agree that Liles should sub in for Franson. Pair him with Rielly.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
My thoughts for tonight's game is we need 2 lines that are able to score, not 1 or we are in trouble.

JVR and Kessel can play with almost anyone and produce.

Kadri is an offensive catalyst as he showed last year with Orr and Macarthur.

Need to get Lupul and Clarkson going.

I would try Bolland with JVR and Kessel and Kadri with Lupul and Clarkson at some point.

Clarkson is playing hard, and is doing the shutdown line's work. But at 5.25, he needs to score. Put him with Kadri and Lupul and I think he does.

Get all the players going.

Lupul is clearly not 100%. As far as scoring from other lines...they had good chances. David Clarkson had 2-3 good chances, Bolland gave Raymond a great chance but he couldn't score.

Not worried at all about this team's ability to score goals from all lines. Who cares how much money Clarkson makes? He's playing solid and the goals will come.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Lupul is clearly not 100%. As far as scoring from other lines...they had good chances. David Clarkson had 2-3 good chances, Bolland gave Raymond a great chance but he couldn't score.

Not worried at all about this team's ability to score goals from all lines. Who cares how much money Clarkson makes? He's playing solid and the goals will come.

Funny thing is, Lupul may not be 100% right now but he could have had 2 goals last night. You need him in the lineup unless he has a chance of hurting himself further.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Funny thing is, Lupul may not be 100% right now but he could have had 2 goals last night. You need him in the lineup unless he has a chance of hurting himself further.

He had 3 Grade A chances...initial shot and 2 great rebound chances in a matter of seconds :laugh:

Unlucky not to come out with a goal.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Sit Lupul IMO, you could see he was off last night. Continue to roll with Kadri on the Kessel line until Bozak is back, then revert to having 2 dangerous lines instead of 3/4 of our studs on the same line. I really hope Franson picks it up soon, he's been pretty bad of late.

Colborne will probably score since it always seems to happen to us.

Hoping we break the C curse tonight!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Joe Colborne had a very strong game Saturday night, I didn't want to trade him because you never have enough depth down the middle, but glad he is getting the chance playing with Cammalieri and making a difference on a team that has surprised this year.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Sit Lupul IMO, you could see he was off last night. Continue to roll with Kadri on the Kessel line until Bozak is back, then revert to having 2 dangerous lines instead of 3/4 of our studs on the same line. I really hope Franson picks it up soon, he's been pretty bad of late.

Colborne will probably score since it always seems to happen to us.

Hoping we break the C curse tonight!

How about no?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

The Bolland line was not as good as when they played Pittsburg, thought Bolland and Raymond didn't bring it last night.

As for who cares what players make, this is HF boards, it is cited ad nauseum what player's make.

Clarkson getting a goal will be good for him, or he might start pressing even for guys like us that notice all the other great things he does.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Lupul looked terrible last night in regards to his skating, he could barely move out there. But I guess he had to do it for gammy.

GifKing*

Oct 24, 2013
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29830-1383049318-4.gif

Our win tonight will be as epic as this mark.
(australian football if you're wondering, next best sport after hockey. guy he jumped on was already 6'5")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad