Post-Game Talk (GBU): GBU: UberPecker is UberPerfect - AGAIN - Sabres beat Hawks 3-0

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Great
UPL. Not a lot of shots but many seemed to be high danger. Could have been behind early

Good
Power play entries better except for 5 min major
Puck possession domination in 5 v 5
Keeping the lead smartly at end of game
Beating a team they should beat

Bad
Organization on power play attack

Ugly
Defensive lapses
Lack of players in front of net on 5 v 5 and especially pp
Johnson injury?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Shutout just be happy, they played aggressively because they trusted UPL so much, and Chicago being bad probably played into it a bit. This team is no doubt expecting a chippy game against Tampa.

Thompson is getting frustrating, and only because he is frustrated. Idk if he is still trying to get his shot feel back to normal or what but nothing is going in for him. Not hitting those corners anymore. He is over deking a bit in sketchy situations, but he looks like only of the best players in the world with the puck on his stick. Skinner really is the player on that line that gets that trio to score. I like Benson as a whole, but I think Quinn is still the ideal replacement on that line.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
How many break-aways did they give up? It's great that UPL has elevated his game, but getting saves on these types of grade A chances is the equivalent to a shooter shooting a 50% shooting average. Those numbers will regress to the norm, especially against elite offensive talent.

This team still has a lot of work to do on team defense.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How many break-aways did they give up? It's great that UPL has elevated his game, but getting saves on these types of grade A chances is the equivalent to a shooter shooting a 50% shooting average. Those numbers will regress to the norm, especially against elite offensive talent.

Yeah. It sounds like they had their typical let down game after a win but UPL saved their bacon. Im happy for UPL, but pretty sobering to know they struggled against a bottom feeder dealing with a ton of injuries.

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
6 - 3 in last 9

sure, shutouts against San Jose and Chicago, games they ought to win, no banner getting raised for that... but how often have Buffalo won games they "should have" won this year?

You can judge the quality of respective wins, but facts: they're trending upward.

• Love
Reactions: Dingo44

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
They dominated for 60 minutes outside of a few odd man rushes. Idk what this struggled against a bad team is about.
I agree they didn't struggle, but wouldn't agree they dominated. I'd just say they had a solid if unspectacular game against a bottom feeder.

1705674979172.png

Reactions: BFLO

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I meant dominated the game as a whole. The odd man rushes against are the only reason this is remotely close.
They possessed the puck, that is for sure.

For me, I saw the same frustrating team structure that has led them to yet another lottery pick. The only difference is they are now getting elite goal tending.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Great game by UPL.

Sabres carried possession but didn't convert that into quality chances. Because as usual they were soft and played the perimeter.

And considering how infrequently Chicago had the puck, we gave up a lot of high danger chances.

xGF was essentially even at 5v5, Sabres only pulled ahead at all strengths because of the 5min PP.

1705678365582.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Well, he's had some games where he made no saves on those sort of opportunities. So this may have been a math balancing performance. It was nice to see a goalie again look like he was in command of his positioning and movements. There wasn't any flailing about, no losing his crease, etc....

Reactions: Dingo44

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
As of now they have 44 points in 45 games. They probably need around 95 to make the playoffs which means 51 points in the 37 remaning games. That's a P% of 0.69

That's a very slim chance of making it, but still enough hope to make it interesting to me. They are at 0.71 for 2024 (with an easy schedule)
🎵 High hopes...... they have high hopes 🎵

🎶Whoops there goes another rubber tree.........🎶

Sabres keeping it interesting...... until it isn't any longer....... :laugh:

Reactions: Macbanan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad