GDT: GBR vs. DEN May 17, 2024

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
As Austria got out of reach with a win in the direct game Team GB urgently needs points.
Sounds threatening, but in reality tournament for GB only really starts today. As things are shaping up, one win over Norway might just be enough, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: Summer Rose

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Sounds threatening, but in reality tournament for GB only really starts today. As things are shaping up, one win over Norway might just be enough, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Given that Norway has yet to play Austria, today is probably GB's best shot at avoiding relegation.

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
GB have taken both Denmark and Norway to OT in recent years, so a point here is definitely attainable, but will need in all likelihood a better performance than they have shown so far this tournament.

Results v Canada and Switzerland look decent but should be caveated with the fact that in both cases our opponents only had their foot on the gas for one period each - the Danes I doubt will be so complacent and even without their NHL players put Austria to the sword earlier. Will be tough.

Munakandas

May 26, 2021
GB beating Denmark is within the realms of possibility. Although not likely. Denmark will be heavy favourites of course.

Also if Denmark lose in regulation I would say they are favourites for relegation (even one point and things don't look very rosy with the games that ate left) and Denmark will know this and that they need to come out strong. As a Brit I hope they are drunk of course but I think they are going to turn up strong. I have hope, the bane of all sports fans life... But not expecting any points today.

GB always have a performance in them. Having got some famous wins recently and yes taking Denmark to a shoot out. They played well last year even in the loss to Austria.

Munakandas

May 26, 2021
Sorry didn't realise Denmark can't be relegated this year 🤣.

But still great start by GB

Munakandas

May 26, 2021
Surprised Whistle is starting in goal. Don't get me wrong he is a good goalie and I don't think so much difference between him and Bowns. But Bowns has been the man for GB for a long time now

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
hmm had been thinking Denmark were getting some pretty good looks on the break despite our positive and aggressive start and there you go...

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
GB better be careful here with the rough stuff. This is the IIHF, not an old fashioned Donnybrook in their hockey league.

Surprised Whistle is starting in goal. Don't get me wrong he is a good goalie and I don't think so much difference between him and Bowns. But Bowns has been the man for GB for a long time now
Probably saving Bowns for the later games against Norway and Austria as a fight for their survival in the top division.

Reactions: aquaregia

Munakandas

May 26, 2021
GB better be careful here with the rough stuff. This is the IIHF, not an old fashioned Donnybrook in their hockey league.

Probably saving Bowns for the later games against Norway and Austria as a fight for their survival in the top division.
Playing Bowns today and whistle against Czech would make the most sense to me. Assuming Bowns is still number 1 in Russell's eyes.

Munakandas

May 26, 2021
No idea why Denmark didn't appeal that.

With the goal scorer against Austria the skate was just left out there.

Here there was a definite turn off the foot..

aquaregia

May 23, 2022
Lancashire
Seems a bit of a waste to play Halbert behind these grindy lines so far, that said I have liked Lacho, just wish we had more players on our 3rd and 4th lines that didn't look totally out of their depth at WC level.

andy500

Jul 5, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Whistle has been a better goalie than Bowns in the EIHL this season.

Pete Russell is Bowns coach for the Cardiff Devils and Adam Keefe, GB assistant coach, is Whistle's coach in Belfast.

It doesn't really surprise me that Whistle is the first choice in this tournament. However he has had a poor game here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad