Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230629_124852_Instagram.jpg

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Beyond happy to see a Jr. Sabres alum stay home. The program has produced quite a few draft picks lately - these are the picks since 2020:

Quentin Musty (SJ)
Gavin McCarthy (BUF)
Trevor Kuntar (BOS)
Hunter McDonald (PHI)
Owen Mehlenbacher (DET)
Joey Muldowney (SJ)
Chase Clark (WSH)
Luke Tuch (MTL)
Matteo Costantini (BUF)
Colby Ambrosio (COL)
Declan McDonnell (TB)

We're building great hockey players and great people here.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Pronman ranked him 53rd(!):

Background
McCarthy has played a large-minute role for Muskegon this season when healthy. He did the same for USA's Hlinka Gretzky team too. He missed a portion of the season due to a fractured knee suffered at the World Jr. A Challenge. The younger brother of Devils' draft pick Case McCarthy is committed to Boston University.
Analysis
McCarthy's toolkit is one that should do well in the pro game. He's got good size, he's a right shot, he skates well, and he's showing a lot of offense this season in the USHL. I don't think he's a natural puck-mover, but McCarthy has good skill and can make the occasional tough offensive play. His skating allows him to transport pucks up ice. Defensively he's solid. He can run around a little bit, but he's quite physical, and his skating lets him close on plays well. I think he will play a regular role on an NHL team even if it's on a third pairing.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can't imagine the feeling of being drafted by your childhood team. Must feel so surreal for him.

They don't do it often. I'd also venture that they don't do it enough although the region doesn't push the same sort of talent as other locations in NY, let alone compared to regional development powers like Minnesota, Michigan, and Massachusetts.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
They don't do it often. I'd also venture that they don't do it enough although the region doesn't push the same sort of talent as other locations in NY, let alone compared to regional development powers like Minnesota, Michigan, and Massachusetts.
Who was the last one to get drafted before this kid? Justin Bailey?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
When we came up at 13 I said to my friend…well…they’ve seen as much of Benson as anyone since he literally plays on the same line as Savoie. So if they pass on him I’ll know it isn’t because they didn’t do their due diligence.

And they know as much about Musty as anyone so if they take him I’ll know that they believe in him so much and that he has no red flags or questions in any area because they’d know about them…so even though I wanted Benson I’d accept Musty.

Same things are true about McCarthy. If they passed on him…I’d have no choice but to believe they have definitive reason. And if they took him i‘d be assured it was for good reason.

so when they do pass on local guys as the draft goes on…I kind of just accept they’re reasons for doing it are better than most teams. Obviously that doesn’t include Musty who the timing just wasn’t going to work out on. But if a local kid goes in the mid to late rounds and we didn’t take him…you know…they’d know best if he was worth it…for whatever reason he wasn’t.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great pick by you guys. This guy was one of my favorite players in the 2023 draft. Had him ranked 29th overall.

He's probably overall the best American defenseman in the 2005 age group. Since I first saw him play like a few months after that team was picked I was fascinated by his game because that 2005 USNTDP team had the worst defense they've had in a long time, and he was better than all of them. I wonder why they didn't pick him. His brother previously played at the NTDP, so I doubt he snubbed them. They definitely knew who he was, and just didn't select him.

Anyway, I think he's going to be a good NHL defenseman. I think top 4 is likely. He's good in all parts of the game. I feel like the puck game was there in his U17 year and he had decent size. Wasn't bad defensively or a poor skater, but needed a little work on his pure speed and his defensive positioning and puck-decisions. He really improved in those areas a lot last season. Mind you, I thought his offensive game was actually a little disappointing last season, but overall he had a very good season. He started the season at nearly 1PPG, was selected for the the WJAC team, got injured there, and then he had a little bit of a disappointing last few months. It probably hurt his draft stock a little. But I heard an interview with him where he said he wasn't 100% when he returned, he also came back and his PP1 spot was gone, so those things didn't help. Losing two months to injury couldn't have helped his stock during those injured months either.

I think overall he's a defenseman that can play all situations, he doesn't have a big flaw in any part of his hockey game, and I think one very underrated part of his game to look for is his outlet passing. It's very good, and a big asset. He can really make some excellent plays with the puck, which is why despite the high point totals last season, I was a little disappointed how too often he wouldn't take his time with the puck and move down the boards. Too often he'd just throw it at the net with a low percentage shot. But maybe that was coach-directed. He definitely has the puck game to be a PP guy, even if it's only PP2. And then his defensive game has really come around. He has decent size, he's become more physical, his positioning and puck-management has really improved, and he processes the game well out there. Skating is definitely at least average now too. Edges were always decent, and the speed has come. He's a good all-around defenseman. One of the better one's in this past draft. Doesn't hurt the cause for you guys that he's a local kid and a literal neighbor of GMKA.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

14. Gavin McCarthy, D

6/2/2005 | 6-foot-2 | 165 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 86 in 2023
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Analysis: McCarthy’s toolkit is one that should do well in the pro game. He’s got good size, he’s a right shot, he skates well, and he’s showing a lot of offense this season in the USHL. I don’t think he’s a natural puck-mover, but McCarthy has good skill and can make the occasional tough offensive play. His skating allows him to transport pucks up ice. Defensively he’s solid. He can run around a little bit, but he’s quite physical, and his skating lets him close on plays well. I think he will play a regular role on an NHL team even if it’s on a third pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad