Prospect Info: Gavin Brindley, 34th Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Brindley, who was born October 5th, 2004, from Estero, Florida, is a teammate of Fantilli’s on Michigan’s roster. Brindley has played all three forward positions this season. Mostly, he has split between taking faceoffs, playing down the middle, and playing on the right wing. However, the 5’9” and 157 pounds is listed as a right winger on Elite Prospects, and with his diminutive stature, may remain there moving forward.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Brindley is a high-motor player who excels on the defensive side of the puck. He’s a tenacious forechecker and reliable in defensive zone coverage. He’s always in motion, always attacking lanes, bouncing around defenders to find them, especially on the power play. He anticipates plays ahead of time and moves to support them. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is such a cool pick for me as I remember his dad from his time in Cincinnati and Florida in the ECHL. I know nothing about Gavin. Zilch.

His dad was a very smart player. Lacked the size and speed to stick in the AHL so he was a career AA hockey player. But if his son was able to play 2C behind Fantilli as a frosh at Michigan, he's a bit better than dad. LOL.

It's amazing watching these kids who grow up in tropical climates become so good. Gavin must have grown up on the 3 sheets of ice in Hertz Arena where the current two time in-a-row Kelly Cup winning Florida Everblades play. His elite prospects page shows him playing in Florida until he was 16 when he started playing for Tri City in the USHL.

I will be watching his development with enthusiasm. I'll assume he'll stay at Michigan for the next couple of years before turning pro.

I almost-I said almost-like Jarmo now;)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is such a cool pick for me as I remember his dad from his time in Cincinnati and Florida in the ECHL. I know nothing about Gavin. Zilch.

His dad was a very smart player. Lacked the size and speed to stick in the AHL so he was a career AA hockey player. But if his son was able to play 2C behind Fantilli as a frosh at Michigan, he's a bit better than dad. LOL.

It's amazing watching these kids who grow up in tropical climates become so good. Gavin must have grown up on the 3 sheets of ice in Hertz Arena where the current two time in-a-row Florida Everblades play. His elite prospects page shows him playing in Florida until he was 16 when he started playing for Tri City in the USHL.

I will be watching his development with enthusiasm. I'll assume he'll stay at Michigan for the next couple of years before turning pro.

I almost-I said almost-like Jarmo now;)
I imagine Brindley, unlike Fantili, will be heading back to Michigan next season. Does he take on the 1C role at UM?!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I imagine Brindley, unlike Fantili, will be heading back to Michigan next season. Does he take on the 1C role at UM?!
I would think it's a no brainer for him to go return to Michigan. Given how Michigan seems to have its pick of the litter in recruiting, I wouldn't be surprised if Brimley plays a role similar to whatever he played this past season.

But given that I'd never heard of him nor do I follow UM hockey, I'd take this analysis with far less than a grain of salt.

Reactions: Koira and CBJx614

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If he can stay healthy and keep that level of effort, grit, and snarl, I don't care about his size. He can play in the league if you get your nose dirty. Its how Atkinson (at the early stage of his career) and Calvert got their chance.

I like the pick. I think he tops out as an energy 3rd line jack of all trades winger, but thats fine. Kinda reminds me of Gallagher

Reactions: CBJx614

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I like the pick. I think he tops out as an energy 3rd line jack of all trades winger, but thats fine. Kinda reminds me of Gallagher
Gallagher isn’t a bad comp, but stylistically the best comp I’ve seen is Stephenson, and I think that’s spot on.
He could easily be the next Konecny or Sheary at the NHL level. At the very least, with the development at Michigan and the way he currently plays the game, I don’t see how his floor could be any lower than a Tyler Motte level player (still a capable 4th liner on a contender).
I mean shit, Brindley scored more than Hyman did over his first 3 years at Michigan. He’s similar to Hyman in the sense that he makes great players even better. He’s not going to carry a top line, but he is willing to do the dirty work for the top dogs. Fantilli’s line got so much better when Brindley joined to play with him and McGroaty.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Gallagher isn’t a bad comp, but stylistically the best comp I’ve seen is Stephenson and I think that’s spot on.

He could easily be the next Konecny or Sheary (both better than 3rd line players). At the very least, with the development at Michigan and the way he currently plays the game, I don’t see how his floor could be any lower than a Tyler Motte level player (still a capable 4th liner on a contender).

I mean shit, Brindley scored more than Hyman did over his first 3 years at Michigan. He’s similar to Hyman in the sense that he makes great players even better. He’s not going to carry a top line, but he is willing to do the dirty work for the top dogs. Fantilli’s line got so much better when Brindley joined to play with him and McGroaty.
So what you're saying is in 2 seasons we should expect to see

Gaudreau - Fantilli - Brindley

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Gallagher isn’t a bad comp, but stylistically the best comp I’ve seen is Stephenson and I think that’s spot on.

He could easily be the next Konecny or Sheary (both better than 3rd line players). At the very least, with the development at Michigan and the way he currently plays the game, I don’t see how his floor could be any lower than a Tyler Motte level player (still a capable 4th liner on a contender).

I often don't understand why fans try to join the best players together. Holmstrom played with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, although Cleary was the better player. Vegas acquired Barbashev not only because of his salary, Nichushkin was moved into the top 6 even though at the time he was considered bottom 6 and played alongside Lehkonen in the line. Or Cousins -- Bennett -- M. Tkachuk line in the PO, Reinhardt played with Lundell, etc, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad