News Article: Gauthier plays all-round game well beyond his years

morrielly

Dec 4, 2012
toronto
A couple months old but i don't believe it has been mentioned around here...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=670537

per chris bordeleau (NHL central scouting) who's been scouting in the QMJHL for 3 decades
The closest resemblance might be Philadelphia Flyers center Sean Couturier, who starred for the Drummondville Voltigeurs for three seasons. But even that's a stretch.

"I've never seen a kid get back and play defense like he does in 20 years," Bordeleau told NHL.com. "In his own end, he's always around the puck. A kid that can play defense like he does at his age, with that kind of maturity, is very rare."

When was the last time we had a similar prospect to Gauthier?
What do you guys think of the article?
Also, what's holding back his offensive?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
With that kind of praise you'd think he should've gone 1st overall. Don't buy into the overhype, he's still gonna be a 3rd liner.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
We've drafted plenty of good players. That doesn't mean Gauthier is the next Bob Gainey.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We've drafted plenty of good players. That doesn't mean Gauthier is the next Bob Gainey.

It's entirely possible that Gauthier could be better than Gainey offensively, he most likely won't win 4 Selke's though because the Selke has now turned into the "best PPG defensive forward"

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Who the **** said that?

Lol Nobody, I'm just thinking of one of the best defensive forwards of all time. Is the guy in the article really saying Gauthier plays defense better than Bergeron? Datsyuk? Toews? I don't think so, it's hype, and all I'm saying is I don't buy into it.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Lol Nobody, I'm just thinking of one of the best defensive forwards of all time. Is the guy in the article really saying Gauthier plays defense better than Bergeron? Datsyuk? Toews? I don't think so, it's hype, and all I'm saying is I don't buy into it.

Who is this gauthier thinking he is, he might as well end his days at 18 years old, damn people are never satisfied. Are you one of those who wanted hunter"i'm sitting her waiting for the puck" shinkaruk ?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Who is this gauthier thinking he is, he might as well end his days at 18 years old, damn people are never satisfied. Are you one of those who wanted hunter"i'm sitting her waiting for the puck" shinkaruk ?

So you're saying...An 18 year old inexperienced kid, plays better defense than those 3 selke winners in today's game?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Hopefully he shows us some nice offensive instincts in next season.

And Idk why people are complaining about Gauthier, at worst he'll develop into an amazing 3rd liner, and at best he'll be a Beast #1C (KID IS HUGE!!!!). I predict him to be a solid #2C with amazing defensive awareness, such a solid pick I can't wait to see how he folds out.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Who the **** said he is better than anyone ? you are writting him off right off the bat, it was his rookie season for god sake :shakehead

Look, the article says he is the best defensive player he's seen in 20 years, and that's outrageous. That's what I don't like. Plain and simple.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
SO SO SO glad we picked him over Shinkaruk. Not going to lie, at the time I wanted Shinkaruk cause we've all heard about him being a top pick but after looking into Gauthier and watching some tape on him I'm 100% sure we made the right pick. Same kind of thing happened to me last year with Rielly.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Look, the article says he is the best defensive player he's seen in 20 years, and that's outrageous. That's what I don't like. Plain and simple.

Actually, he's never seen a KID play defense like that in 20 years. Datsyuk was NEVER thought of to be a defensive player until he was around 24.

morrielly

Dec 4, 2012
toronto

instead of just saying that gauthier is overhyped and won't be anywhere near these guys defensively, why don't you provide some reasoning as to why gauthier is overhyped and won't be anywhere near these guys defensively

:teach:

from what i have read from scouts, gauthier has very few weaknesses defensively. He's huge, a really good skater for his size, plays hard along the board, very good positionally, and has terrific defensive awareness. I don't see why some people think he will be nowhere near a selke for his entire career...

I'd also like to hear hat you guys think of his offensive potential

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France

It was a scout who said it, no one has held a gun up his throat to claim that. BTW, he might be comparing players at the age of 18, you know players develop at a different pace right ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad