Confirmed with Link: Gaudreau's teammate Kevin Hayes Won't Sign in Chicago (Update: Signed with NYR)

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
I thought you couldn't trade the compensatory pick?

I saw people talking about this on the main boards but not sure where it stems from. I'd expect you can as you used to be able to trade compensatory picks for UFAs and a few years ago the Coyotes traded the pick awarded for not signing Blake Wheeler to trade up for Tikhonov.

Barring a change in the new CBA (and I can't see any logical reason for such a change) I'd presume those picks are fair game to move.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I saw people talking about this on the main boards but not sure where it stems from. I'd expect you can as you used to be able to trade compensatory picks for UFAs and a few years ago the Coyotes traded the pick awarded for not signing Blake Wheeler to trade up for Tikhonov.

Barring a change in the new CBA (and I can't see any logical reason for such a change) I'd presume those picks are fair game to move.

Well, the Devils pick this year was compensatory and they weren't allowed to trade it

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Thats a much different situation. The league gifted them the pick because they lost Kovalchuk and decided to reduce their punishment of having no 1st rounder.

No, they took their pick because of the Kovy contract but gave them the pick back, or at least I'm pretty sure.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Would have been nice to add a RW mostly developed prospect but like JH said I'm rather indifferent to the news with regards to our team. Having said that good for him signing with a strong team that will give him a chance.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought you couldn't trade the compensatory pick?
December 28th, 2010: the Montreal Canadiens traded the 50th overall pick in the 2011 NHL entry draft along with a conditional 2012/2013 pick to the Islanders for James Wisniewski. The 50th overall pick had been award to the Canadiens due to being able to sign first round pick David Fischer.

People make alot of **** up, they have little understanding of what is and isn't allowed and sadly to many these misunderstandings become fact to them. You still hear people say "you can't trade injured players", "if they have a two-way contract they don't have to clear waivers" and "no trades are allowed after the deadline or during the playoffs" despite the fact that injured players do sometimes get traded, waivers has nothing to do with contract status and you can make trades after the deadline, they are just ineligible for the playoffs.

Well, the Devils pick this year was compensatory and they weren't allowed to trade it
It wasn't a compensation pick in the traditional sense. They were being punished for the Kovy situation.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Bah; would have liked having this kid for free.

Calgary's so far from a sexy market it hurts. I mean he skipped out on playing with his boys and is again a NY junkie.

Not the end of the world, just would have been pretty sweet.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
People make alot of **** up, they have little understanding of what is and isn't allowed and sadly to many these misunderstandings become fact to them. You still hear people say "you can't trade injured players", "if they have a two-way contract they don't have to clear waivers" and "no trades are allowed after the deadline or during the playoffs" despite the fact that injured players do sometimes get traded, waivers has nothing to do with contract status and you can make trades after the deadline, they are just ineligible for the playoffs.

This happens is a good portion of the people discussing hockey on the internet are people who got into hockey by playing video games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad