Gaudreau leads talented group of Calgary Flames prospects in Fall 2014 Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

johnny_gaudreau_calgary_041314.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau recorded 80 points in 40 games with Boston College in 2013-14. He brings his sublime offensive skill set to the Calgary Flames in 2014-15. (courtesy of Rich Lam/Getty Images)

A new chapter begins for the Calgary Flames as general manager Brad Treliving enters his first full season managing the team. Overseeing his first draft with the Flames, Treliving added to the growing pool of talent with the selection of six quality prospects including Sam Bennett and Mason McDonald, who find themselves ranked for the first time among the Hockey’s Future Flames Top 20 prospects list.

The Calgary Flames also welcome two new minor league affiliates for the 2014 season, beginning with the relocation of their AHL affiliate team from Abbotsford to Glen Falls, New York, where the team will be known as the Adirondack Flames.… read more

The post Gaudreau leads talented group of Calgary Flames prospects in Fall 2014 Top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gaudreau is going to make management bite their nails. If they give him some NHL games, Johnny will play well enough that they won't send him back down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies, Poirier and Klimchuk are criminally low. Especially Klimchuk :shakehead

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Corban Knight is an extremely average player. He is 24 years old in September and hasn't really shown any signs of being an impact player. No idea how he is ahead of so many 1st and 2nd round players. Aside from that, it's not a terrible list but way too much emphasis is put on players that have played pro.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Corban Knight is an extremely average player. He is 24 years old in September and hasn't really shown any signs of being an impact player. No idea how he is ahead of so many 1st and 2nd round players. Aside from that, it's not a terrible list but way too much emphasis is put on players that have played pro.
Knight should be lower, yes. But you are really underrating him. He is a very good young player, he does everything well.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I wouldn't put any stock in the #ABC ratings they mean different things to different people and the difference between a 1st line forward and 4th liner is 2pts. And potential isn't really defined well.
Nice to see the write-ups and outside of 2-3 odd placements the list is pretty good. Happy to see Ramage get a nod really like him as a prospect.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Wotherspoon has more offensive upside than many give him credit for. I don't think he'll ever be a 40pt+ dman, but I could see him regularly getting 20-30pts a year. He's such a smart player and sees the ice so well. He's quite a good passer to.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Nice to see Max get more credit than on our ranking. I said it was criminal that he was ranked 10th, and that Ortio wasn't in our top 10.
All things equal, proven over potential should always be weighted more.
Their top 5 is the same as I ranked a month ago, but I have Ortio, Gillies, Tspoon, Jank, and Poirier rounding out the top 10.
Knight & Seiloff don't belong in our top right now.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Knight should be lower, yes. But you are really underrating him. He is a very good young player, he does everything well.

His upside is a very average 3rd liner. I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment given what he has shown thus far.

Can you think of examples of players that played four years of college, had a similar first year AHL production, and went on to be impact players? The one comparison I can think of is Dominic Moore, though it's a bit of a dated example. I wouldn't call Moore an impact player, but I would say he had a pretty successful career. I'd be stoked if Knight became Dominic Moore, and I wouldn't say that is selling him short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad