Prospect Info: Gaudreau & Arnold to Return to BC for 2013-14

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Also confirmed by the Fan 960.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2013-...johnny-gaudreau-michael-matheson-to-return-to

That Tweet would indicate that all six Eagles underclassmen whose rights are owned by NHL franchises -- sophomore Johnny Gaudreau (Calgary Flames), junior Bill Arnold (Calgary), freshman Michael Matheson (Florida Panthers), junior Kevin Hayes (Chicago Blackhawks), junior Isaac MacLeod (San Jose Sharks) and freshman Colin Sullivan (Montreal Canadiens) will all return to a 2013-14 roster that is straight-up filth.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Good for them. Let them take their time developing, it's always better than rushing them into the AHL and then into NHL.

I'm happy with this.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am worried the Eagles will have a fairly weak team next year. They took a step back this year and now are losing Milner, Whitney, Mullane & Wey. I hope they have some up and comers in their system.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am worried the Eagles will have a fairly weak team next year. They took a step back this year and now are losing Milner, Whitney, Mullane & Wey. I hope they have some up and comers in their system.

That won't be a problem. They have arguably the best recruiting program in the country. They have highly touted players like Ian McCoshen, Steve Santini, Scott Savage, Chris Calnan, Adam Gilmour, Evan Richardson, Ryan Fitzgerald, and Austin Cangelosi all committed to play there within the next two seasons. In addition to that they have highly touted goaltender Thatcher Demko commited for next season as well.

Either way Parker Milner was average at best this season, and with Gaudreau, Arnold, Hayes, Matheson etc.. all a year older they will be just as good if not better in my estimation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That won't be a problem. They have arguably the best recruiting program in the country. They have highly touted players like Ian McCoshen, Steve Santini, Scott Savage, Chris Calnan, Adam Gilmour, Evan Richardson, Ryan Fitzgerald, and Austin Cangelosi all committed to play there within the next two seasons. In addition to that they have highly touted goaltender Thatcher Demko commited for next season as well.

Either way Parker Milner was average at best this season, and with Gaudreau, Arnold, Hayes, Matheson etc.. all a year older they will be just as good if not better in my estimation.
I had no idea who they had recruited for next year, but I think that it's also hard to expect a ton from freshmen, highly touted or not.

But they are one of the best programs in NCAA for a reason. Let's hope I am just over thinking this

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Happy that Gaudreau and Arnold will be taking the time to develop their game but I really wanted to see what Gaudreau could do in the AHL. Whether he'd dominate or be outmatched...

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I had no idea who they had recruited for next year, but I think that it's also hard to expect a ton from freshmen, highly touted or not.

But they are one of the best programs in NCAA for a reason. Let's hope I am just over thinking this

Yeah, they will be a very young team next season and on the smaller size as well (at least at the forward position). I simply can't bet against Jerry York at this point however. He knows how to get the most out of his team, no matter the make up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fine with both. Arnold is a dime a dozen in the Flames organization; so him not being here isn't the end of the world.

Gaudreau is putting up sick numbers, but every young guy, especially the tiny ones, can use as much time as they can get in the minors/college to refine any flaws they have, maybe even put on an extra few pounds; 150 pounds... That's scary going into the NHL. Even being that small, he could use getting to 170.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Good for them. I hope them and Jankowski take their full four years, not really a development based thing, but get a good education, have that back up plan, it's smart, and if I was a prospect, you would bet your ass I'd finish college before turning pro

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fine with both. Arnold is a dime a dozen in the Flames organization
I'm just trying to wrap my brain around this.

Bill Arnold is:
  • at least 6 feet tall
  • over 200 lbs
  • plays a strong defensive game
  • plays physical
  • kills penalties
  • wins faceoffs
  • is not inept offensively

and he is a dime a dozen in the Flames organization? are you sure you mean the Calgary Flames? because the only player in the organization that sound anything like that is Reinhart

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
It kind of sucks that most of our top prospect talent ( Arnold, Gilles, Gaudreau, Jankowski) is still 3 or 4 years away

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It kind of sucks that most of our top prospect talent ( Arnold, Gilles, Gaudreau, Jankowski) is still 3 or 4 years away

Have to imagine the guy that Calgary gets top 4 will be ready to go this year.
And the two other mid 20s probably will have only 2 years progress. There's a gap here with no real solution I can see.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually think Arnold is a fairly safe bet to be a top 9 or even maybe top 6 NHL'er. His game projects very well to the NHL and he is extremely coachable and he is very consistent. I'm actually quite excited about him.

fallsviewafro*

We're probably going to be drafting high in that time, not to mention if all goes well our three first rounders this summer might be well on their way to strong NHL careers by then.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I actually think Arnold is a fairly safe bet to be a top 9 or even maybe top 6 NHL'er. His game projects very well to the NHL and he is extremely coachable and he is very consistent. I'm actually quite excited about him.

What does coachable even mean? Does that mean he's really cooperative and adaptable or something?

Aug 3, 2010
What does coachable even mean? Does that mean he's really cooperative and adaptable or something?
Basically, yeah. Some people are resistant/hesitant to change what they think is always right about their game, seeing little or no reason as to other people's opinion and are therefore less coachable.

Others react like a sponge and try to take in the new information as best they can before adapting to it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
that is exactly what it means. he is like a sponge, he will do whatever is needed. Much like Roman Horak and Max Reinhart. I have also heard the same about Agostino and DeBlouw.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
This is great news for Gaudreau; he can still work on building his frame. I still think he can grow another inch or two, plus he could put on 15-20 more pounds.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I expected Gaudreau to stay, not many small scorers leave the NCAA early. I was hoping Arnold would move to the AHL and start developing as a pro though, but it can't hurt to stay.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Someone want to help me out with what exactly "straight-up filth" means? As far as I can tell, that's a fairly derogatory thing to say about a team, but the way people talk these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a good thing.

So, are they saying that the team's going to be really good because of these NHL prospects, or are they saying that the team's going to be awful, and that's why it was important to retain all of the NHL prospects?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Someone want to help me out with what exactly "straight-up filth" means? As far as I can tell, that's a fairly derogatory thing to say about a team, but the way people talk these days, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a good thing.

So, are they saying that the team's going to be really good because of these NHL prospects, or are they saying that the team's going to be awful, and that's why it was important to retain all of the NHL prospects?
if you say a player is filthy, its usually a good thing. i'd describe datsyuk as filth

Trae

Calgary
Warrener and crew were embarrassing to listen to today on the Fan this morning, saying Gaudreau is "scared" to take the next step.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Warrener was just being hysterical. Gaudreau is best served by staying in college for pretty much the entire four years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad