Boston Globe GASPER: Offering a sincere apology to Bruins general manager Don Sweeney: You were right about everything

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This season (with the exception of the Miller weekend) has been insanely positive. Surreal even.

That said, April to June is what we will remember. And everything now doesn't matter once we are there.
For better or worse.

Very valid to be optimistic, but still proceeding emotionally with caution, haha.

I give Sweeney a lot of grief at times, but the one thing is he's learning from (some of) his mistakes.

Deadlines, he's still added, but he started targeting players that had a future here. Both age and skill wise. Bruins have a serious chance here this year, but unlike other seasons, it's hard to pinpoint a definitive weakness (short term).

It should be an interesting next few months, and I'm excited.

Reactions: BMC

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Looks like everyone underestimated Sweeney, me included. You know, I don't hear much call for firing him like we did last season
The Lindholm, Hall, Zacha and Ullmark signings were pretty good! His deadline trades have helped retool on the fly. I am hoping for one more TDL deal this year to put the Bruins over the top. Montgomery as coach was a bold move.

That being said if they lose in the 1st round everyone will be calling for Sweeney's head! That's how we roll.

Reactions: BMC and ksp1957

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I had no idea a new coach would revitalize these guys like he did. I was so fed up with the Cassidy way I would not have cared had they blown it up. @MarchysNoseKnows and @DKH suggested a rebuild on the fly which I didn't see as possible but Sweeney pulled it off this season and it looks like they should be good for a long time. I have enjoyed this regular season like no other so far and like a team that truly sticks up for each other while playing with a huge smile.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Sweeney had some things going for him. Like Krejci coming back and Bergeron be willing to play under value. But any GM needs breaks. Sweeney has done a marvelous job. I doubted some of his moves: Especially trading for Lindholm and signing Ullmark when we had Swayman ready. But time has proven me wrong. If they had gotten a bounce here and there, they could have made noise in last years post-season.

But I always praised him for the Hall-trade and extension. He benefitted by Hall forcing a move to Boston, but still.

If (IF) they go all the way, Don will probably be credited for assembling one of the best teams in the cap era.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Sweeney gets credit for Ullmark, Lindholm and Monty. And Zacha, I guess, Although i want to see it for more than a year.
Bergeron and Pasta get credit for Bergeron, Krecji and Hall.

Bottom line is that if Patrice and David didn't come back for Super Ultra Team friendly deals, this team would be good and probably in the playoffs. This clown sports writer should've written his letter to them.
Sweeney easily could have traded both DeBrusk and Frederick. Both of them floundered under Cassidy, with DeBrusk coming out of his funk the 2nd half of the year. Is it a perfect team, nope. Pretty close though.
This is the deepest top 9 I can ever remember. Strong goalie tandem, close or equal to Thomas/Rask, and the
D is very good. Better at puck movement but less physical than the better B's D groups before.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad