Boston Globe GASPER: Offering a sincere apology to Bruins general manager Don Sweeney: You were right about everything

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Dear Don,

Sports columnists are generally not very adept at apologies. We tend to be all bluster and little contrition, but I wanted to write to let you know that I was wrong about your capability to construct a Stanley Cup contender. I was wrong to say that former Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy is better at his job than you are at yours. Tell Cam Neely to stop growling at me in news conferences.

This Bruins team you’ve built is a vulcanized-rubber wrecking ball. I’ve canceled all vacation plans for June, accordingly.

I thought you were grasping at straws and trying to cover your, uh … tracks when you decided to squeeze another kick at the Cup out of this core like the last speck of ketchup from a spent bottle. I scoffed when you repeatedly said last year’s club that bowed out in the first round to Carolina “left something on the table.”

I know you’re an avid cyclist, but I thought you were just spinning your wheels and taking the hockey public for a ride.

Now, I want to turtle like Claude Lemieux. Your Bruins look as unstoppable as Wayne Gretzky on a breakaway. Your unbeatable bunch had compiled 76 points in 45 games (36-5-4) heading into Sunday’s match with the San Jose Sharks at TD Garden. Even the Gallery Gods couldn’t have envisioned a Bruins team this dominant on home ice with one regulation loss through 25 games.

This season has been pure bliss for Spoked-Believers, thanks to you.

You’ve exhibited a golden touch for the Black and Gold that’s surely the envy of some of your Harvard classmates in the financial world.

Full column attached

Attachments

• gaspercrow.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Cool mea culpa. Sweeney has made a ton of strong moves to build this roster, with the unbelievable Hall and Lindholm trade/signs at the forefront. Its too bad the biggest error of his career came this year and he has been in hiding and can't publicly enjoy the fruits of his labor.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Mea maxima culpa.

I’ll have my crow breaded and deep fried with a side-salad and fries.

Sweeney has done a fantastic job this season. I especially love that he brought in a coach from OUTSIDE the organization. Yes, there have been some missteps (we all make them), but this season has been the greatest Bruins regular season I’ve ever seen in my 48 years on this earth.

I’ll give Don Sweeney his credit. He’s earned it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The team has been far better than what a lot of the pundits ( and a lot of fans ) thought but the Bruins have set the bar super high for themselves with this start to the point where I think a lot of us would be let down if it doesn't culminate into a SCF appearance/Cup win. I'm enjoying the season regardless but if I was honest, I too would be disappointed if this team fell short in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Can this team continue it's dominance when it matters most? I guess we'll all have to wait to find out.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Me, having called for the rebuild basically every year for the past five seasons:

1674327829182.jpeg

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The team has been far better than what a lot of the pundits ( and a lot of fans ) thought but the Bruins have set the bar super high for themselves with this start to the point where I think a lot of us would be let down if it doesn't culminate into a SCF appearance/Cup win. I'm enjoying the season regardless but if I was honest, I too would be disappointed if this team fell short in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Can this team continue it's dominance when it matters most? I guess we'll all have to wait to find out.
Let’s all be honest with ourselves.

Aside from witnessing Stanley Cup championships, this ride we're on is better than anything any of us have enjoyed as Bruins fans.

Anything short of winning the Stanley Cup WILL be disappointing. That doesn’t mean we’re not savoring every moment of the season - because getting there is half the fun.

But nobody here wants half of anything.
(If we’re being honest)

Last edited:

Babajingo

Sweeney gets credit for Ullmark, Lindholm and Monty. And Zacha, I guess, Although i want to see it for more than a year.
Bergeron and Pasta get credit for Bergeron, Krecji and Hall.

Bottom line is that if Patrice and David didn't come back for Super Ultra Team friendly deals, this team would be good and probably in the playoffs. This clown sports writer should've written his letter to them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not everything - he’s been very good and fortunate

The issue is the media not delving into a lot of this - they should have contacts on the team, in organization, and around league

The Kevin Dean - Cassidy rift and WHY remains unreported but it would have likely stopped a lot. Why did trusted long time confidant- basically Batman’s Robin basically come to blows. Incredible story and shows the real Sweeney and how he handled this.

They just emotionally grabbed pitchforks and fire and joined the angry mob

It’s like they read message boards, Twitter, and listened to F & M and their callers and guilty of doing everything wrong

It was easy for them

The playoffs are yet to come. Previous criticims from this corner remain.

Nonetheless, fair is fair,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigGoalBrad

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
A cup this year would clean the slate for 2013 and 2019 certainly. A second cup for a few of these Bruins probably puts them in the HOF (at the minimum rafters for 63 and 46 eventually).

A cup this year wipes away the stink of 2015 too.

To me the GREAT rabbit out of a hat is finding C's beyond 37 and 46. Sweenius pulls that off and keeps us in a playoff spot during Pasta's peak, and I'll be very very impressed.

This year has really been a gift. I'm just trying to enjoy one game at a time.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
A cup this year would clean the slate for 2013 and 2019 certainly. A second cup for a few of these Bruins probably puts them in the HOF (at the minimum rafters for 63 and 46 eventually).

To me the GREAT rabbit out of a hat is finding C's beyond 37 and 46. Sweenius pulls that off and keeps us in a playoff spot during Pasta's peak, and I'll be very very impressed.

I agree with every single point you made. I have nothing to add.

Fantastic post.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I would say all pundits.

And all fans (but for DKH).

Sweeney gets credit for Ullmark, Lindholm and Monty. And Zacha, I guess, Although i want to see it for more than a year.
Bergeron and Pasta get credit for Bergeron, Krecji and Hall.

Bottom line is that if Patrice and David didn't come back for Super Ultra Team friendly deals, this team would be good and probably in the playoffs. This clown sports writer should've written his letter to them.

Terrible take.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The playoffs are yet to come. Previous criticims from this corner remain.

Nonetheless, fair is fair,

Thank you. I find Gasper to be an excellent writer, but this Mea culpa is extremely premature. We have seen President's trophy teams go down in 82-83, 90-91 and 2013-2014. More to the point, if Sweeney loses Pasta because of Sweeney's self-importance and double dealing with Krug, then any recent good is almost undone.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thank you. I find Gasper to be an excellent writer, but this Mea culpa is extremely pre-mature. We have seen President's trophy teams go down in 82-83, 90-91 and 2013-2014. More to the point, if Sweeney loses Pasta because of Sweeney's self-importance and double dealing with Krug, then any recent good is almost undone.

I agree with much of this. But, credit when due.

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Mea maxima culpa.

I’ll have my crow breaded and deep fried with a side-salad and fries.

Sweeney has done a fantastic job this season. I especially love that he brought in a coach from OUTSIDE the organization. Yes, there have been some missteps (we all make them), but this season has been the greatest Bruins regular season I’ve ever seen in my 48 years on this earth.

I’ll give Don Sweeney his credit. He’s earned it.

Certainly. But let's not get the duck boats ready just yet. There remains more than half a season to be played, never mind the playoffs.

I feel very, very good about what I see on several fronts. Let's see how things go.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Captain Obvious says: Bergeron, Krejci and Montgomery have been the key components to this season's success.

Montgomery is clearly an excellent coach and the right man for the job on many counts.

Even so, absent the return of #37 and #46, things would be very different.
Most definitely.And if Sweeney is smart he will add another experienced centre before playoffs as insurance in case one gets nicked up.I know come playoffs they all start 0-0 again but what a fabulous winter it has been from a hockey standpoint for Boston fans everywhere .Alot of so called hockey experts are wondering what they actually know about the sport watching this.:laugh:

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Have you noticed how Bergeron, Krejčí and Marchand talk about their approach to the game? They sound like Zen masters.

It's all about "living in the moment," not getting ahead of themselves, not dwelling on, say, a bad game.

They live in the present. Not the past. Not the future (though of course they plan for the future.)

Bergeron in particular holds this attitude, and lives it.

Be. Here. Now.

So, as you say, let's enjoy and appreciate a special season -- especially the play of Patrice and DK#46 -- while we have it.

It will not come again.

I

Reactions: BMC

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Looks like everyone underestimated Sweeney, me included. You know, I don't hear much call for firing him like we did last season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad