Gary Lawless is your Las Vegas Golden Knights Insider

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This is akin to hiring Darth Vader to blow up the Death Star, but hey - after years of savaging desert hockey markets in Winnipeg, maybe he can use his talents for good this time... :laugh:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This is akin to hiring Darth Vader to blow up the Death Star, but hey - after years of savaging desert hockey markets in Winnipeg, maybe he can use his talents for good this time... :laugh:

If we can convince him it will work, perhaps he'll tell his friends.

This could be good for both of our teams. :laugh:

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
This is a curious move. Bad for Lawless and Vegas. I knew this was coming however and was told weeks ago he was done and is why he was distancing himself from TSN1290 and the Blue Bombers football team.

lakewinnipeg

Mar 27, 2017
Can't wait to hear Lawless pregame talking to the people of Las Vegas about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers QB problem lol

He is a big CFL guy so get ready for that. Maybe he will still be the CFL guy on TSN1290 and TSN

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Can't wait to hear Lawless pregame talking to the people of Las Vegas about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers QB problem lol

He is a big CFL guy so get ready for that. Maybe he will still be the CFL guy on TSN1290 and TSN

He's moving to Las Vegas so it might not happen, would kind of stink for him though travel-wise, especially as CFL winds down. I'm sure he'd like to get out of here for CFL season though. It gets a little warm in these parts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
LOL, what?? This guy HATES non-traditional hockey markets

He just hasn't been to the right one yet. :)

...or been paid a salary and benefits by one yet... :laugh:

Well, he already waxed lyrical about the resurrection of Winnipeg in his first Golden Knights story, so I think it'll take him some time to fully relocate (hah!) his loyalties from Portage and Main to the Strip... :D

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
He'll be fine. Gonna give him a chance, and that first article was a pretty good start too.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Lawless started out in this role, before transitioning to a pure media role, worked with the Toronto Argonauts, before moving to the Winnipeg Free Press. Started out there covering AHL and Northern League Baseball.

Don't let others from winnipeg disparage him too much. The man has paid his dues in the media world, grinding up a long way to where he is now.

I'll big time miss his CFL coverage. There was one other guy I'd trust before him nationally in the CFL.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If we can convince him it will work, perhaps he'll tell his friends.

This could be good for both of our teams. :laugh:

He just hasn't been to the right one yet. :)

BB - I appreciate your optimism, but this hiring just made me shake my head. I don't doubt his credentials, but it's hard to overlook his attitude toward the southern US markets. This reeks of a guy whose contract wasn't being renewed at TSN, who jumped at the chance to be employed by a team rather than a media outlet, given the current state of sports journalism. I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt, but it'll have to wait until he actually gets into the daily grind of covering this team during their actual games.

That said, these NHL.com roles are simply to be mouthpieces for the teams, so I don't necessarily pay a whole lot of attention to them. I get the feeling I'll be getting most of my Knights news from Steve Carp and the guys over at SinBin.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm not super familiar with him. I've seen stuff from him like any hockey fan, just never paid too much attention.

I'll say that the fact that I've heard of him prior to this morning is from where most of my optimism stems.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
This counts as your expansion draft pick btw. (Credit for joke belongs to someone else on jets board)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
BB - I appreciate your optimism, but this hiring just made me shake my head. I don't doubt his credentials, but it's hard to overlook his attitude toward the southern US markets. This reeks of a guy whose contract wasn't being renewed at TSN, who jumped at the chance to be employed by a team rather than a media outlet, given the current state of sports journalism. I guess I can give him the benefit of the doubt, but it'll have to wait until he actually gets into the daily grind of covering this team during their actual games.

That said, these NHL.com roles are simply to be mouthpieces for the teams, so I don't necessarily pay a whole of attention to them. I get the feeling I'll be getting most of my Knights news from Steve Carp and the guys over at SinBin.

You're probably not far off from the truth, as the common rumour is that Gary Lawless was being let go by TSN, and teams essentially hire their own beat writers and Insiders to curtail and control the message about the team. Ed Tait left the Winnipeg Free Press last year to work directly for the Blue Bombers for this exact reason - it's a steadier paycheque to be a cheerleader.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
You're probably not far off from the truth, as the common rumour is that Gary Lawless was being let go by TSN, and teams essentially hire their own beat writers and Insiders to curtail and control the message about the team. Ed Tait left the Winnipeg Free Press last year to work directly for the Blue Bombers for this exact reason - it's a steadier paycheque to be a cheerleader.

I would have much rather pursued Scott Burnside after ESPN let him go. Is there a chance that Lawless and McCrimmon have a Manitoba connection? That could explain the hire.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Look at this blood thirsty sack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpTA14bQOUI

Anyhoo, this really doesn't mean anything... but this is very ironic, hopefully this opens his eyes to the value of the fan and how much a team can mean to those in a non traditional market

Las Vegas isn't Glendale AZ and Glendale isn't las Vegas.

Why a team is still stuck floundering in Glendale only the NHL can answer that.

Las Vegas has every chance of making the NHL work as anywhere else in North America and the chances of the team succeeding in Las Vegas are probably very high!

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Las Vegas isn't Glendale AZ and Glendale isn't las Vegas.

Why a team is still stuck floundering in Glendale only the NHL can answer that.

Las Vegas has every chance of making the NHL work as anywhere else in North America and the chances of the team succeeding in Las Vegas are probably very high!

Time will tell, but this man isn't the mouthpiece for a sunbelt team. They should've hired local

Best of luck to him

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Time will tell, but this man isn't the mouthpiece for a sunbelt team. They should've hired local

Best of luck to him

He's just a guy doing a job, and I think it will be fun watching him either decide he loves it here and that the team will work or falling off and running back to Canada.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
He's just a guy doing a job, and I think it will be fun watching him either decide he loves it here and that the team will work or falling off and running back to Canada.

Very true.. but let's be honest here. We're just taking about a guy putting up web content. Who really gives a damn?

Let's see some unis!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Curious move - why would he want to leave Winnipeg winters behind?

To find his soulmate. :laugh:

rtr24rs3.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad