Newsday: Garth Snow wants to keep Islanders coaches

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Or Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

I want Capuano gone as much as most of you, but you're kidding yourselves if you think he was going to be fired after getting to the second round. Next year if the Islanders don't get out of the first or make the playoffs entirely you might see a new coach.

We could see a new coach in the middle of next season if things don't go well for whatever reason. Pittsburgh fired their coach in the middle of the 2008-09 season even after they made the finals the previous season. (and ended up winning the cup in 09).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ok, so read this:

Hitchcock makes adjustments, wins

Then ask yourself, "Is it possible our coaching staff could have done the same (or better)?"

That's all some of us are getting at.

What am I looking for, the big adjustment changes from Hitchcock? Capuano has done that before, it didn't work, as has Hitchcock. It's not as if their whole team drastically changed the style they play. They identified the weakness of the opposition and exposed it. One could suggest that Capuano was able to find the proper lineup to handle the bigger Panthers team in round 1, and that lead to a 4-2 series win against a team many thought were the better one in the series.

Capuano isn't good, but to highlight these other coaches for the great job their doing is a bit silly considering many of them have struggled in the playoffs for a long time.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
What am I looking for, the big adjustment changes from Hitchcock? Capuano has done that before, it didn't work, as has Hitchcock. It's not as if their whole team drastically changed the style they play. They identified the weakness of the opposition and exposed it. One could suggest that Capuano was able to find the proper lineup to handle the bigger Panthers team in round 1, and that lead to a 4-2 series win against a team many thought were the better one in the series.

Capuano isn't good, but to highlight these other coaches for the great job their doing is a bit silly considering many of them have struggled in the playoffs for a long time.
Cappy's better than Gorton. That I can say for sure. Hitch has his guys playing an all out well balanced game which addresses all game situations.

We let line 4 hit.

We need a better coach to get players to play consistently.

I will always wonder how Baileyand Strome and Nelson and Okposo would turn out if we spent the money on a coach like professional teams do. (right now I'd be open to hear a trade scenario with any one of then unless we fired Cappy and got a real coach....then I would not one second desire any trade before we could see how they pan out without the Massachusetts Mafia running things)

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I hope you're not suggesting the reason for Tampa's success since the 2009 draft is because they have Hedman over Tavares.

I certainly wouldn't draft Hedman over Tavares (although I'd take him 2nd overall), my point is that we have very poor asset management and it's time we started comparing ourselves to strong organizations rather than weak ones.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Shall we revisit this?

In terms of what? I get the feeling you think I was looking at the results.

I was not.

I was looking at the fact he used multiple tools from his toolbox to address an issue. Hitchcock has his own limitations I would be happy to discuss. I would take him over Cappy 7 days a week though.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I certainly wouldn't draft Hedman over Tavares (although I'd take him 2nd overall), my point is that we have very poor asset management and it's time we started comparing ourselves to strong organizations rather than weak ones.

Well we certainly agree there. I just think we can leave the Tavares/Hedman situation out of the argument. Taking Tavares was a no-brainer move even now (and I love Hedman). There is so much else that Snow did/does wrong that we should be addressing.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
We all know Stamkos is a pipe dream because the team is only going to spend so much to improve. I think there's a good chance we start the season with a team salary that is actually a smaller % of the cap than last year. Okpsoso's gone (2.8), Martin's gone (1), Halak's gone (4.5), Grabo's LTIR (5); I'm not convinced that all or most of that $14 million will be spent on the team. Assuming Frans gets $2 million more than he was making, that's still $12 million to spend, and it doesn't take into account the additional $5 million we are from this year's cap (so maybe 7 or 8 million from next year's, according to this: https://www.nhl.com/news/bettman-salary-cap-could-rise-3-million-in-2016-17/c-791523).

This is the big question to me. Will the new owners spend? Every cup winner in the past five years has been a cap team. Every team left this year is a cap team. And, regardless of the coach, we can all expect another disappointing postseason unless the new owners open their wallet.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Well we certainly agree there. I just think we can leave the Tavares/Hedman situation out of the argument. Taking Tavares was a no-brainer move even now (and I love Hedman). There is so much else that Snow did/does wrong that we should be addressing.

I brought up the draft to highlight how close the teams were in the standings. I referenced Tavares and Hedman to give context.

Rhino1985

Jul 3, 2015
This is the big question to me. Will the new owners spend? Every cup winner in the past five years has been a cap team. Every team left this year is a cap team. And, regardless of the coach, we can all expect another disappointing postseason unless the new owners open their wallet.

I'm assuming the new owners will be excited to make a splash and "put their stamp" on this team. What bigger way to announce new ownership than signing the top free agent to an 80-100 million dollar contract?

What I'm nervous about is Stamkos going elsewhere and us overpaying for a Boedker/Perron type just for the sake of making a headline.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm assuming the new owners will be excited to make a splash and "put their stamp" on this team. What bigger way to announce new ownership than signing the top free agent to an 80-100 million dollar contract?

What I'm nervous about is Stamkos going elsewhere and us overpaying for a Boedker/Perron type just for the sake of making a headline.

Haha, I don't think Boedker or Perron are going to make any headlines, but I get what you are saying.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I'm betting on Martin and Neilson and Stamkos only because I met Ledecky and know he's VERY interested in success. This is a splash. Wang when he came in was not. Wang even kept Milbury after two "see, I give a ****" moves. I'm betting on the college roommates taking a TB player after our ouster to them.

Stamkos $9M 8 years....just a hunch.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm betting on Martin and Neilson and Stamkos only because I met Ledecky and know he's VERY interested in success. This is a splash. Wang when he came in was not. Wang even kept Milbury after two "see, I give a ****" moves. I'm betting on the college roommates taking a TB player after our ouster to them.

Stamkos $9M 8 years....just a hunch.

On the other thread, not confirmed yet though, nobody can give Stamkos 8 years at this point except the Lightning. It's purported that even if you trade for his rights this offseason you can't offer him that 8th year because he wasn't on the team at the trade deadline. I don't know the actual rules, but even if that's not the case we woul dhave to trade for his rights to offer him 8 years. What trade do you see them making to get his rights?

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
For years I would pick the Sharks and say this is the year they win it all.. It became Fools Gold lol. I gave up entirely on them. I am happy for Joe Thornton. He's paid his dues.. I am also happy for Deboer!

I am still rooting for the Lightning.. but will pull for the Sharks one more time.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
In terms of what? I get the feeling you think I was looking at the results.

I was not.

I was looking at the fact he used multiple tools from his toolbox to address an issue. Hitchcock has his own limitations I would be happy to discuss. I would take him over Cappy 7 days a week though.

Results are all that matters.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Just seeing the title of this thread after watching two high quality teams like the bolts and penguins play just makes me realize that a lot of changes need to be made for us to be a threat. A lot

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
On the other thread, not confirmed yet though, nobody can give Stamkos 8 years at this point except the Lightning. It's purported that even if you trade for his rights this offseason you can't offer him that 8th year because he wasn't on the team at the trade deadline. I don't know the actual rules, but even if that's not the case we woul dhave to trade for his rights to offer him 8 years. What trade do you see them making to get his rights?
Bill Muckalt, A big lanky defenseman and a pick?

I didn't now about that 8th year clause....let it be seven?

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I think the Sharks battled the Penguins in the Finals on EA sports simulated playoffs. It was definitely the Sharks , but maybe it was the Capitals in the east. Either way they are at least 50% right lol.

The EA simulated playoff that I saw had the Islanders Vs Nashville in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad