Newsday: Garth Snow wants to keep Islanders coaches

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
200x200px-ZC-5c8ca52a_daniel-bryan-NO.gif

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...254?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Garth Snow told Newsday that he foresees no changes to his coaching staff nor any front-office changes once Scott Malkin and Jon Ledecky take over as majority owners from Charles Wang on July 1.

Snow had high praise for Jack Capuano and assistants Doug Weight, Greg Cronin and Bob Corkum, who coached the Isles to back-to-back 100-point seasons.

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
No surprise but I just hope the new owners have other ideas and he's just not in the know. Garth just can not fathom having a coach who is not beholden to him. It's his greatest weakness and if he keeps this up, when his time is up here, it might prevent him from getting another GM job.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
Listen I am definitely not a Capuano supporter at all and feel that he definitely made some poor decisions that really cost us down the road, but lets just hope this offseason Garth makes some serious moves to make us a contender and then lets see how Cappy does.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Listen I am definitely not a Capuano supporter at all and feel that he definitely made some poor decisions that really cost us down the road, but lets just hope this offseason Garth makes some serious moves to make us a contender and then lets see how Cappy does.

Didn't we say this last year?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Hitchcock got retained for 4 years with first round failures...Boudreau how long with his game seven failures?

It seems reasonable a back-to-back 100 point season + playoff win would warrant a return.

We know Isles fans in message board and Twitter land disagree.. Oh well...

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hitchcock got retained for 4 years with first round failures...Boudreau how long with his game seven failures?

It seems reasonable a back-to-back 100 point season + playoff win would warrant a return.

We know Isles fans in message board and Twitter land disagree.. Oh well...

Boudreau got fired and Hitch will get fired if he loses their next game. You conveniently left that part out.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Haha. It's like Groundhog Day. Im guessing everyone back but KO. Depth signings. Maybe a goalie moved.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Nope, how long was their tenure before they no longer improved the team in the playoffs? That just happened to Boudreau and may happen to Hitch. It's longer than Capuano...

So you want to settle with mediocrity for 2-3 more years and then fire him? Such a great example set by the Ducks and Blues. We were dominated the whole first round but it was masked by JT and Greiss. Not to mention 2 complete no shows in elimination games.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
So we have to wait for color by numbers Jack to continue making his baby step improvements accompanied by future articles talking about how he is learning on the job...

I am suddenly not looking forward to next year.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
On paper he more than deserves to stay.

100 point season
Advanced in playoffs
Won with injuries

But the 2nd round showed how outclassed he was in coaching... I think he can only get fired if the team starts of badly next season

TheZec

Mar 19, 2010
Well, now we know why the Hamonic news was released yesterday. Can't really be depressed and ecstatic at the same time.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
So stoked! Capuano is a real good X's and O's guy, and I just know Doug Weight can get this powerplay on track because he scored a few PP goals himself back in his day, so that should be a continued plus. Capuano will get them to the next level. There was a great article about how the team plays in the image of their coach, and that's spot on because you can always expect a consistent game from them where they make the high % decisions and keep up the pressure when leading. This plus hammer staying really make today the best day ever to be an islander fan! Eat your hearts out fans of other teams!

Just wanted to feel what it's like from Snow's perspective. Must be a sweet world to drift through!

I said previously, capuano somehow got back to back 100 pt seasons, and the combo of his questionable decisions and the passengers really lets you know he's not the one to get us to the next level. He's gotten some modest results, but I'd like better.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If not the coach, then they need to change some of the line-up or maybe draft better going forward:

- more team speed (that is why Tampa, Pens won)
- more players who are willing to carry the pucks
- more players who have good hand eye co-ordinations who can deflects shots in front or pounce on loose rebounds fast
- definitely more players who will go to net and battle there
- add 1 or 2 player with a quick release good wrist shot, those ones who can hit the top shelves
- try to get better scheduling, avoid too many back to back games with key divisional games on the 2nd night
- give JT a legitimate talent to play with, a gritty vet or talented prospect (see if there is a RFA who another team may have trouble resigning)
- go sit down with each player and do a thorough exit interview to help them prepare for next season
- bring back key contributors to the team who wants to win now
- find good vet from other team who believe in the Isles, not just to cash in big cheque and taken up ice time
- watch videos from top teams who run a very effective PP and see how they position or move the puck
- set up team practice plans to improve set plays and run a lot of shooting and passing drills

- add a skill coach to work one on one with each player, especially the young prospects (both offense and defense), sometimes the best coach is from Europe, as long as they can speak English

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
On paper he more than deserves to stay.

100 point season
Advanced in playoffs
Won with injuries

But the 2nd round showed how outclassed he was in coaching... I think he can only get fired if the team starts of badly next season

The 2nd round showed how a teams margin for error increases significantly when it's 2nd and 3rd were ineffective, thus allowing the opponent to shut down its first line.

Again, people want to point all day at the coach, but those players underperformed to the point where the opponent easily countered the first line. There was no threat from the rest of the lineup and TB knew it.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Is what it is, I honestly believe a few players are more the problem (Nelson, Strome, Bailey)

Back to back 100 pts season's with 1 elite player...he can stay. Next year if we don't get to ECF bye bye.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
The 2nd round showed how a teams margin for error increases significantly when it's 2nd and 3rd were ineffective, thus allowing the opponent to shut down its first line.

Again, people want to point all day at the coach, but those players underperformed to the point where the opponent easily countered the first line. There was no threat from the rest of the lineup and TB knew it.

I agree mostly. A question is why did those guys underperform, and how can they get on track next year?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I agree mostly. A question is why did those guys underperform, and how can they get on track next year?

Nelson and Lee faded last year badly, this year they disappeared for stretches. Strome struggled out of the gate, but looked promising last year. More seems about the early stages of young players and them learning how to play a complete game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad