TSN: Garrioch: Boucher going nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
May as well keep Boucher if you’re going to bring in Sutter.

Same defensive grinding style at half the price with Boucher.

Winning 2 cups holds value. Boucher and Sutter both coach a defensive style but that is the end of the comparison. One wins and the other doesn't. Boucher coaches an extremely passive style and he doesn't even get his team to play very physical. Sutter plays a much more physical style.

A proven and established coach who has actually won in the league and won recently would be huge. Sutter is an excellent option and much better than Boucher.

Reactions: chipsens

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
What a ridiculous comment

Boucher isn't in the same realm as Sutter.

A defensive coach doesn't make them the same coach lmfao
If two coach’s employ the same style of system, then replacing one with the other is completely pointless.

Paying an extra few million to employ another defensive minded coach is a complete waste of assets.

If we are going to replace the coach then hire one who employs a different playstyle and will let our offensive guys get creative.

Reactions: bert

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
If two coach’s employ the same style of system, then replacing one with the other is completely pointless.

Paying an extra few million to employ another defensive minded coach is a complete waste of assets.

If we are going to replace the coach then hire one who employs a different playstyle and will let our offensive guys get creative.

Thinking defensive coaches are equivilant is a massive mistake however. Sutter doesn't play a 1-3-1..nor is he remotely as incompetent as Boucher with lineup decisions or special teams. In fact Bouchers defensive system isn't great at preventing shots, scoring chances, or goals.

You're paying for a winning pedigree, not a style. Similar style doesn't indicate similar success, especially since a style isn't deduced to offensive or defensive. That is way too primitive of an assessment between the two coaches.

And no, I can't agree with the thought that changing from Boucher to Sutter is a waste of assets. I in fact think that's a ridiculous statement personally. But to each there own.

Last edited:

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Thinking defensive coaches are equivilant is a massive mistake however. Sutter doesn't play a 1-3-1..nor is he remotely as incompetent as Boucher with lineup decisions or special teams. In fact Bouchers defensive system isn't great at preventing shots, scoring chances, or goals.

You're paying for a winning pedigree, not a style. Similar style doesn't indicate similar success, especially since a style isn't deduced to offensive or defensive. That is way too primitive of an assessment between the two coaches.

And no, I can't agree with the thought that changing from Boucher to Sutter is a waste of assets. I in fact think that's a ridiculous statement personally. But to each there own.
Guess we will agree to disagree on this one

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I got to be honest, I was expecting Crawford to provide the strong second voice in the room that would help steer Boucher away from stubborn decision making. Not sure if the problem is Boucher not listening to him, or him steering Boucher in the right direction.

I also see this past season as a failure by the goaltending coach. Anderson, Condon, Taylor, Hammond, Hogberg and Dreidger all having a sv% < .902 is not acceptable. I get that team defense was an issue, but it was an issue back when MacLean and Cameron were our coaches too, our goalies development seems to be going backwards. I think we might need a new (proven) goalie coach quick so that we don't ruin Gustavsson.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
It's disheartening as a fan to know that even if we axe Boucher and co we will yet again go bargain bin shopping, meanwhile all other teams are never linked to the $ cost of acquiring their new coach, for Ottawa it is number 1 on the list.

Now even if we had the cash, our owner has created such an extreme toxic work atmosphere or at least "perceived" lol that nobody likely wants to come here.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Winning 2 cups holds value. Boucher and Sutter both coach a defensive style but that is the end of the comparison. One wins and the other doesn't. Boucher coaches an extremely passive style and he doesn't even get his team to play very physical. Sutter plays a much more physical style.

A proven and established coach who has actually won in the league and won recently would be huge. Sutter is an excellent option and much better than Boucher.

^this. Boucher doesn't learn from his mistakes. Special teams have been a disaster. I hope he is gone asap, like April 29 right after the draft. Let's do the Lindy!

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
I don't even know what to say about your Stone comment, Stone is clearly an elite player and that is evidenced by his actual production this season. You can claim he isn't elite or top tier but that is not really founded in evidence.

As for Boucher. Given the fact that you are a Boucher supporter what merits do you see in him as a coach? Why is he a good or worthwhile coach in your perspective?

What I got from your last message was that when teams are successful it is directly due to Boucher and that when the team performs poorly it has nothing to do with Boucher. Basically Boucher deserves praise for success because the team couldn't do it without him and that when the team fails it is not his fault at all and others or circumstances are to blame. This is a pretty idealistic way of looking at anything let alone a coach. Do you not think Boucher has faults, flaws and limitations? Is Boucher not capable of making mistakes or of making poor choices?

As for, Tampa Bay couldn't it be argued that Boucher had little do with the success in his first season? That they simply had a high quality roster that nearly any coach could have made succesful. Then in year 2 when the team performed poorly with the injuries the team simply wasn't as good in year 2. If you give justification for poor performance in his second season in Tampa why did he perform poorly in year 3 when he got fired? Was he free from fault there?

Last season were the Sens succesful because of Boucher or because of the roster? This season we didn't have any of the injuries that you mentioned Tampa faced so why the same result? Was it really everyone else's fault that the team performed poorly? Did Boucher play no role in the poor performance? Is Boucher just some perfect coach who never makes mistakes and just has the bad luck of running into injuries to his roster, GM's that don't build competitive enough teams and players that just randomly start performing poorly? Is it never Boucher's fault? Can he do no wrong?

It's pointless to keep going back and forth. We are never going to convince each other to change our viewpoints. You are anti Boucher and I am pro Boucher. That will not change.

I explained what happened in Tampa. Losing Hedman/Lecavalier/Malone to injury for extended periods is comparable to this team losing Karlsson/Duchene/Pageau for an extended period. How badly would that set us back?
The loss of Mattias Ohlund is similar to us losing Methot. He was their rock and top shutdown D-man. Losing Bergenheim is comparable to losing MacArthur - great two way role player.

But the main issue was the goaltending was abhorrent in the two seasons following their ECF run. Dwayne Roloson cratered and was forced into retirement. His save percentage went from .914 to .886. The following season, Yzerman brought in Anders Lindback, Pekka Rinne's overhyped backup, via trade to "address" the goaltending. He was pretty much just as bad as Roloson. Clearly not a starting goaltender in the NHL. Similar to the drop off from Anderson this year and the fact that Condon doesn't belong in the NHL. It is impossible to overcome that poor of a level of goaltending, especially when your team is predicated on a defensive style.

I have never stated Boucher is infallible. It is my opinion that personnel has played more of a role in his demise than his "system" or "style." His system, style, and coaching have proven on two separate occasions that it can produce success and take you deep in the playoffs. We were an underdog in every playoff series we played in last year according to Las Vegas. That wasn't because of the coach. That was because of the roster and the advanced metrics they use showing that this team was most likely playing above its talent level. What is typically the cause of a team with middling talent overachieving and playing above its talent level? Good coaching.

As it pertains to Sutter, yes his teams are typically more physical than Boucher's. But is that what we should want? With the league trending towards more speed and skill every year, we should want a coach that is going to preach playing heavy and physical like the Kings and Ducks, who were both just swept by teams with more speed and skill in the first round?

Despite their two Cups, Kings fans were at their wits end with Sutter. They felt he was too old school, too loyal to veterans, too focused on sitting back and playing defense. They were screaming for the offense to be opened up more and to let their skill players create more offense. Sounds like a lot of the complaints from Ottawa fans about Boucher.

Give Boucher that LA Kings roster from their Stanley Cup runs through this year, and I'm confident Boucher has a similar level of success as Sutter. Those rosters were stacked. Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Jarrett Stoll down the middle. Great two way wingers like Dustin Brown and Justin Williams. A skilled veteran winger like Gaborik mixed in with some young blossoming wingers like Toffoli and Pearson. A game changing offensive defenseman like Drew Doughty who also commits to defending at a high level. Mobile puck moving defenseman like Martinez and Voynov. Stay at home shutdown studs like Scuderi and Willie Mitchell. And of course one of the best goalies on the planet and maybe the best big game goalie in the league in Jonathan Quick.

Those Kings rosters are stacked compared to what Ottawa has been the last two years. Much better goaltending. A vastly better and deeper D corps. Much more depth/skill down the middle. Good depth on the wings and great role players in the bottom six.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
lol at Sutter coming to Ottawa at this point in time.

1) He has his cups. I'm sure he'd like to coach again, but he doesn't need to. He's probably content with tending to his ranch for the next little bit while he waits for a great opportunity to materialize.
2) Ottawa is in rebuild mode. Why would he take on a shit roster in a Canadian market?
3) He's a west coast guy. Ottawa is a long way from Viking, Alberta.
4) Ottawa can't pay his asking price. He was making just under $3M to coach an elite team in sunny Los Angeles. He's not taking the job in Ottawa for $1M a year. He doesn't need the money.
5) He's not desperate enough to put up with Melnyk's shit. Murray dealt with Melnyk because the Ottawa job was close to home. Sutter doesn't have that local connection.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Glen gulutzan and Bill Peters both recently added to the coaching market. Any interest in either of them if we move on from Boucher?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Glen gulutzan and Bill Peters both recently added to the coaching market. Any interest in either of them if we move on from Boucher?

None at all, the game has changed time for a progressive coach that plays an up tempo modern style. If people have been paying attention these old school coachs are not evolving with the sport and their teams are left behind and a bunch have been fired or have failed. Id like Bouchard, Keefe or Ducharme. I think Bouchard is the most forward thinker.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Boucher has killed my interest in watching Sens hockey. What a boring team he's created. He either needs to adapt with a 1 year trial or be fired.

Unleash Karlsson, unleash Hoffman and unleash the youth and I think attendance will increase.

We need aggressive positioning without the puck and speed attacks with the puck. Oh and an NHL powerplay.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boucher has killed my interest in watching Sens hockey. What a boring team he's created. He either needs to adapt with a 1 year trial or be fired.

Unleash Karlsson, unleash Hoffman and unleash the youth and I think attendance will increase.

We need aggressive positioning without the puck and speed attacks with the puck. Oh and an NHL powerplay.

IMO you would be telling Boucher to change who he is as a hockey coach.. I don't dislike the guy but he really needs to be replaced. I expect humpty to make another mistake on this one though

Reactions: Deku

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I've been a vocal contributor to Boucher needs to change/go for a long time, well before, and during last years playoff run. That style of game is dogshit to watch, and has no shelf life.

Adios

Reactions: slamigo

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It's pointless to keep going back and forth. We are never going to convince each other to change our viewpoints. You are anti Boucher and I am pro Boucher. That will not change.

I explained what happened in Tampa. Losing Hedman/Lecavalier/Malone to injury for extended periods is comparable to this team losing Karlsson/Duchene/Pageau for an extended period. How badly would that set us back?
The loss of Mattias Ohlund is similar to us losing Methot. He was their rock and top shutdown D-man. Losing Bergenheim is comparable to losing MacArthur - great two way role player.

But the main issue was the goaltending was abhorrent in the two seasons following their ECF run. Dwayne Roloson cratered and was forced into retirement. His save percentage went from .914 to .886. The following season, Yzerman brought in Anders Lindback, Pekka Rinne's overhyped backup, via trade to "address" the goaltending. He was pretty much just as bad as Roloson. Clearly not a starting goaltender in the NHL. Similar to the drop off from Anderson this year and the fact that Condon doesn't belong in the NHL. It is impossible to overcome that poor of a level of goaltending, especially when your team is predicated on a defensive style.

I have never stated Boucher is infallible. It is my opinion that personnel has played more of a role in his demise than his "system" or "style." His system, style, and coaching have proven on two separate occasions that it can produce success and take you deep in the playoffs. We were an underdog in every playoff series we played in last year according to Las Vegas. That wasn't because of the coach. That was because of the roster and the advanced metrics they use showing that this team was most likely playing above its talent level. What is typically the cause of a team with middling talent overachieving and playing above its talent level? Good coaching.

As it pertains to Sutter, yes his teams are typically more physical than Boucher's. But is that what we should want? With the league trending towards more speed and skill every year, we should want a coach that is going to preach playing heavy and physical like the Kings and Ducks, who were both just swept by teams with more speed and skill in the first round?

Despite their two Cups, Kings fans were at their wits end with Sutter. They felt he was too old school, too loyal to veterans, too focused on sitting back and playing defense. They were screaming for the offense to be opened up more and to let their skill players create more offense. Sounds like a lot of the complaints from Ottawa fans about Boucher.

Give Boucher that LA Kings roster from their Stanley Cup runs through this year, and I'm confident Boucher has a similar level of success as Sutter. Those rosters were stacked. Kopitar, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Jarrett Stoll down the middle. Great two way wingers like Dustin Brown and Justin Williams. A skilled veteran winger like Gaborik mixed in with some young blossoming wingers like Toffoli and Pearson. A game changing offensive defenseman like Drew Doughty who also commits to defending at a high level. Mobile puck moving defenseman like Martinez and Voynov. Stay at home shutdown studs like Scuderi and Willie Mitchell. And of course one of the best goalies on the planet and maybe the best big game goalie in the league in Jonathan Quick.

Those Kings rosters are stacked compared to what Ottawa has been the last two years. Much better goaltending. A vastly better and deeper D corps. Much more depth/skill down the middle. Good depth on the wings and great role players in the bottom six.

I honestly don't see the merits behind being pro Boucher. After last season I would have agreed with you fully. Boucher helped the team outperform in both the regular season and the playoffs and his success in his first season in Tampa was worth noting as well. There was merit behind his capabilities as a coach as he demonstrated his ability to attain success. But after this season I don't think there is an ability to look past his faults. Certainly there were conditions in both Tampa and Ottawa that influenced the results but there appears to be something more there than conditions that are purely circumstantial. I don't think you can look at his performance in Tampa and his performance in Ottawa and not derive some meaningful patterns. Boucher was the constant in both situations and the results are very similar. It certainly brings up a lot of questions as to why the results are so similar and what role Boucher played. The Senators looked horrible on all metrics this season and there were not enough changes to the roster or other conditions to explain away such a big swing in performance. The biggest issue is that Boucher received a vote of confidence in December and didn't make any improvements. He didn't change his tactics and didn't make necessary adjustments. Boucher was also fired from his team in the Swiss league, SC Bern, prior to returning to the NHL. The evidence suggests that he is a short lived coach. This article summarizes many of the conflicts that Tampa fans found Why Guy Boucher Needed to Be Fired (And Why It Should Have Happened Sooner)

It seems like he has a system that he is really inflexible with. He lives and dies by his system and is unwilling to change it. His system appears to get him success but it doesn't appear to be sustainable. It is also really boring and even players around the league are critical of it Hockey world reacts to Flyers, Lightning tactics

His system isn't even that new. In many ways it is basically just a copy of the neutral zone trap that the Devils used to play. It is also the most boring style that fans hate and players hate playing. The '95 Devils, 20 Years Later: How a Team and Its Infamous Trap Changed the NHL

I don't see how the team performs better next year if Boucher was to stick around and why there should be confidence in him moving forward. If he somehow didn't get fired this offseason and sucked next year and then got fired would you still think he is a good coach and the Sens were making a mistake?

As for the Sutter and physicality comment, we should definitely want the team to be more physical. Physicality plays a huge role in the NHL and most importantly in the playoffs. The league isn't really trending away from physicality as it is trending to be more skilled. This is a misinterpretation of some fans, they think physicality is less useful in today's league but they just miss the point. It is as useful as it has ever been. Teams can't sacrifice skill and depth for pure physicality, but there is huge value in having skilled players that are also physical. The Bruins and the Blue Jackets are both gritty physical teams and their physical players are fairly skilled. Anaheim lost to San Jose which is also a big and physical team. Vegas also has skilled and physical players.

Sutter would be a good coach for the Sens because he is a proven cup winner and well respected across the league. The Sens need to have a coach that gets them motivated to compete hard night in night out. A coach that can get them playing with emotion and passion. Boucher takes the emotion out of the game and out of the players.

Reactions: thinkwild

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Wouldn't want Peter's anyway.

It's gonna be great when Boucher is gone though I'll tell you that. Just a bad coach that needs to go

Horrible special teams
Horrible team offense
Horrible team defense
Countless Bad lineup decisions/player deployment

Overachiever last year with an unsustainable system which still had glaring weakness. Ran the 2nd worst team in the NHL this year.

Short shelf life coach

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
meh, I'm at the point where I no longer care either way...let the coaching carousel continue if that's what makes everyone happy.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
meh, I'm at the point where I no longer care either way...let the coaching carousel continue if that's what makes everyone happy.

It is a coaching carousel but it's not like each firing was a bad decision.

No former coach of ours has been a head coach since this carousel started. They all SHOULD have been fired, and when Boucher is let go he won't get a head coaching gig for a long time.

I question our ability to hire another coach because Dorion and Melnyk seem quite incompetent, but we should hire a reputable coach for once.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I was truly disappointed when Boucher put a full on trap during double OT last year. Those two periods were so painful to watch because we didn’t have much good scoring chances. What the f*** do you have to lose, it’s double OT in game 7, try to win the damn game it’s not going to go to a shootout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad