Confirmed with Link: Garret Sparks Suspended Indefinitely For Violating Team Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
He violently threatened a person online, while I do respect him for standing up for a disabled boy, he crossed the line. I also think this isn't the first time the Leafs have talked about his online antics, if so they probably would've kept it in house. Sucks for Garret because by all means he is a genuine great dude, hopefully this will teach him living in such a PC riddened world, unfortunately it's just best to keep your mouth shut.

The irony is you complain about the PC nature of the world, yet by definition he was acting PC. If he hadn't threatened violence, his condeming the guy mocking the disabled guy would be the precise definition of acting in the interests of political correctness. He was responding to deplorable speech with as much/more hostility as the offensive person who started it...that's exactly the behaviour people complain about radical SJW's for displaying. I don't know how people are so oblivious about it.

Also, if the world was "PC ridden" (riddened is not a word), it would not have political correctness. I think you wanted the word "riddled".

I don't think the suspension should be long, but the amount of shock and surprise and complaining is a bit over the top when you look at the simple fact that he is employed by an organization with specific policies and he broke those policies. If he hadn't said "little girl" there would be far less of this "ZOMG PC police" spin as the only thing people would be able to look at (and likely the only main thing the Leafs organizaiton would care about) is the threat of violence. People are distracting themselves and others from the real issue: the threats of violence and the fact that that breaks team policy, which he is contractually obligated to uphold. Some people in this thread are in for a rude awakening if they make it to the full time working world.

Last edited:

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
The irony is you complain about the PC nature of the world, yet by definition he was acting PC. If he hadn't threatened violence, his condeming the guy mocking the disabled guy would be the precise definition of acting in the interests of political correctness. He was responding to deplorable speech with as much/more hostility as the offensive person who started it...that's exactly the behaviour people complain about radical SJW's for displaying. I don't know how people are so oblivious about it.

Also, if the world was "PC ridden" (riddened is not a word), it would not have political correctness. I think you wanted the word "riddled".

I don't think the suspension should be long, but the amount of shock and surprise and complaining is a bit over the top when you look at the simple fact that he is employed by an organization with specific policies and he broke those policies. If he hadn't said "little girl" there would be far less of this "ZOMG PC police" spin as the only thing people would be able to look at (and likely the only main thing the Leafs organizaiton would care about) is the threat of violence. People are distracting themselves and others from the real issue: the threats of violence and the fact that that breaks team policy, which he is contractually obligated to uphold. Some people in this thread are in for a rude awakening if they make it to the full time working world.

This is why I love working in the oilfield. Calling someone out on their BS is how we weed out those who don't belong in a working environment where hurt feelings aren't catered to. Not sure why hockey isn't the same.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
If he was defending a disabled person, shouldn't the person who was bullying him be the one punished? There must have been more to this than threats.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
This is why I love working in the oilfield. Calling someone out on their BS is how we weed out those who don't belong in a working environment where hurt feelings aren't catered to. Not sure why hockey isn't the same.

Congratulations on finding a job where you can't employ a little self control.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Seems a little excessive.

Morgan Reilly made a 'girl' comment last year nothing happened to him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If he was defending a disabled person, shouldn't the person who was bullying him be the one punished? There must have been more to this than threats.
What are you talking about? How are the Leafs management meant to suspend some random guy on the internet? And you should realize that threats are more than enough in this case to result in a suspension

TheDominator

Jan 20, 2007
The other guy is just another ass online. Sparks works for Toronto Maple Leafs.

Wolves

Jan 25, 2016
If Sparks was defending a disabled person, then he was doing his duty as a good person and should be rewarded NOT disciplined.

Unfortunately his choice of words show a momentary lapse of judgement. I do appreciate Sparks for the gesture though.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Threatened him with bodily harm and tossed around sexist terms.

Lol tossed around sexist terms? I thought it was hilarious that after what sparks said some poster said he shouldn't call someone a little girl. #2016

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
lets say player A flattens Marner in the last seconds of a period, Matthews is caught on tv yelling at him from bench , first shift in next period Matthews drags player A to center ice beats him to a pulp is thrown out of game , leafs give up 2 goals while shorthanded( player A does not defend himself) and lose game afterwords Matthews quoted calling "A" a scared little girl . do leafs suspend Matthews or call him a great teammate for standing up for Marner?

Nice.....why not use your real profile?

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
Its the team right to punish him for anything they stipulated as a potential problem in his contract.
regardless of you opinion on "Political correctness"

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Actually Daisy this time I think it's you that doesn't get it , there was a time not to long ago when this guys friends would have kicked his ass for saying the things he said when everybody else was trying to help and encourage a disabled kid play hockey .Thats the sort of moral decency that was part of being a real Canadian , I hope somebody that knows this Clown does just that .The Leafs should have just made a vague statement of condemnation for appearances sake and sent the disabled kid a full set of goalie gear and a new Leaf jersey to wear over it .Thats how this should and would have been handled 40 years ago. I might also point out it's that the same sort of moral decency that made it possible for girls / women to participate in our society they way they can now instead of the way it was 80 -100 yrs ago .

Daisy was 100% correct and looking at the bold part of your comment explains why you do not get it.

Nice second profile as well!

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've read most of the comments in the section and I'm either appalled or completely out of touch with how this whole internets/social media thing works. So if someone can explain, I'd appreciate it.

Denigrating disabled people: bad

Denigrating 13 year old girls: good

Is that correct?

If so, can someone point me in the direction of the list of who is allowed to be denigrated and who is off limits?

That's be swell. Thanks

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
It's a free speech.
Would the team suspend him even if the victim was Obama ?

This comment doesn't even make sense and there are far too many like it.

Sparks is suspended indefinitely. If/when he gets reinstated, we can discuss it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad