Confirmed with Link: Garnet Hathaway re-signed (1 year $850,000 contract)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Hathaway’s problem is that he has not found consistency yet. Does real well when he first gets into the lineup and then fades. If he can improve on that he’s an every day 4th line player (and a good one) if not he’s an extra forward.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I remember Hathaway's first AHL game, he got into a fight with a Marlie player and lost pretty handily.

Then in his 4th or 5th game, Wade Brookbank gave an Abbotsford defenseman a nasty elbow in the corner and there comes Garnet, jumping Brookbank and getting beaten like he stole something.

Dude is all heart.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'm purely speculating here but it's also possible that Hathaway was told by Gulutzan to cut back on the physical play and penalties if he wanted to stay in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm purely speculating here but it's also possible that Hathaway was told by Gulutzan to cut back on the physical play and penalties if he wanted to stay in the NHL.
50 of his 88 penalty minutes were either from fighting or misconducts, another 12 were for roughing, which more often than not is also a coincidental penalty. Hathaway taking an opposition player off the ice is not a bad thing. Leaving 13 minor penalties, which IMO is a little too high, but not enough to ask someone to change their style of play, especially since none were for hitting high, charging or cross checking.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Didn't Hathaway get some BS misconduct call during the regular season for something innocuous

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
50 of his 88 penalty minutes were either from fighting or misconducts, another 12 were for roughing, which more often than not is also a coincidental penalty. Hathaway taking an opposition player off the ice is not a bad thing. Leaving 13 minor penalties, which IMO is a little too high, but not enough to ask someone to change their style of play, especially since none were for hitting high, charging or cross checking.

That actually more or less supports the argument that I'm trying to make - which is that maybe he didn't take many minor penalties because he was being encouraged to play a tighter style of hockey. Really I'm just looking for an explanation as to why he came into the lineup looking like an NHLer and ended the year looking like an AHLer. Given that it seems he plays his best hockey on the edge, it's possible that Hath was handcuffed into playing a conservative style when he needs to be physical and to be able to make mistakes in order to play well.

I'd look up whether he took more minors early in the season as opposed to late (my hunch being he took more earlier in the year when he was more productive) but I don't have access to a computer right now and looking that up on my phone sounds like a hassle.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That actually more or less supports the argument that I'm trying to make - which is that maybe he didn't take many minor penalties because he was being encouraged to play a tighter style of hockey. Really I'm just looking for an explanation as to why he came into the lineup looking like an NHLer and ended the year looking like an AHLer. Given that it seems he plays his best hockey on the edge, it's possible that Hath was handcuffed into playing a conservative style when he needs to be physical and to be able to make mistakes in order to play well.

I'd look up whether he took more minors early in the season as opposed to late (my hunch being he took more earlier in the year when he was more productive) but I don't have access to a computer right now and looking that up on my phone sounds like a hassle.
His play fell off because you can't throw 4-5 hits a game, your body wears out on you. Plus he was moved down in the line-up when other guys became healthy.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
His play fell off because you can't throw 4-5 hits a game, your body wears out on you. Plus he was moved down in the line-up when other guys became healthy.

This pretty much sums up why he's an ideal 13th forward. Give him a game once a week or every other week and you likely have a solid 4th line player who brings that energy when you need it. I love Hathaway's heart of gold, but he was in over his head last year. He should be an extra forward until further notice. You never know, he could turn into a late bloomer who can pot 25 points and 8-10 goals a season. If not, he's a solid fit for a spark plug role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad